Berger 7mm XLD 175gr?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Rtheurer, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Rtheurer

Rtheurer Site $$ Contributor

I Just recieved a email from the good folks at Sinclair Intl. with there sales flyer. new product is a Berger 175gr 7mm XLD Xtra Low Drag. No info on Bergers web site either. anyone have anyinfo?

2. Lbart

Lbart Site $$ Contributor

If you will go to this link http://www.bergerbullets.com/Quick%20Reference%20Sheets%209-23-10.pdf and look under target bullets you will find the 7mm 175 gr. VLD. This is the bullet Sinclair is talking about. The G7 BC is 0.336 compared to the G7 0.337 for the older 180 VLD. 5 grains lighter and the same ballistics effectively.

3. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Site $$ Contributor

No, that is not correct. The attached images show the various boxes of Berger heavy 7mms. The 175 XLD is a very long ogive VLD-type and different from the 180 VLD. Note the part numbers. The second image shows the XLD, VLD and Hybrid, respectively. You can easily see the longer, steeper ogive on the XLD and the characteristic transitional ogive on the hybrid, relative to the VLD in the center. Hope this clears up the confusion.

Attached Files:

4. Rtheurer

Rtheurer Site $$ Contributor

Thanks Steve and LBart

The Chart does show the new XLD part number 28408 and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. thank you to both replies.The XLD looks like some JLK's ive shot before with its steep nose angle. Ill have to give these new bullets a good shake down this winter. I have a new Bartlein Barrel on its way, looks like a good chance to evaluate against my standard 162grAMAX load to use as a control group to compair them.

Steve have you gotten a chance to shoot them yet?

Russt

5. Lbart

Lbart Site $$ Contributor

Steve wrote,
    "No, that is not correct. The attached images show the various boxes of Berger heavy 7mms. The 175 XLD is a very long ogive VLD-type and different from the 180 VLD. Note the part numbers."

Steve, I beg to disagree with your statement. I never wrote the bullets were identically shaped. I wrote, "5 grains lighter and the same ballistics effectively." No matter the shape if you shoot them at the same velocity, they will have near identical drop and wind drift according to the BC's.
    Larry Bartholome

6. Steve Blair

Yes. The XLD is a little touchy for seating depth, but no more so than a regular VLD. The Hybrid is very tolerant and shot better in my .284 Borden/Eliseo than either of the others.

7. Steve Blair

Larry,
    I misread your post and there is no disagreement. Sorry.

8. GLC

GLC

Gentlemen,
    Does anybody know if the 180 Hybrid is actually for sale yet ?
    I understand the 175 xld is now available but the last time I heard the Hybrid was just a prototype.
    I have emailed Eric several times but never received a reply.
    What is the overall consensus on both bullets.
    I still use the original (now called hunting vld)

Hi Larry by the way, hope things are going well for you.

Regards
    Gary Costello

9. TonyR

TonyR

Gary.
    I got 500 directly from Berger and recently placed an order for more. May be different if shipped to the UK but they are taking orders for US delivery.