Berger 7mm 184 Bullet??

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by BIGMAC, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Kurt Blasser

Kurt Blasser Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks! Would you happen to have a COAL for the 180 VLD's say at touch or 20 off?

2. david kieffer

david kieffer Gold $$ Contributor

this is something you need to do for yourself for your rifle. different lots of bullets will be different, reamers not perfect head space ect. I use the oal gauge .many other ways to find your length to lands ,if your new to this youtube might be a help.good luck. dave

3. Kurt Blasser

Dave, Understand this. Have to send fired cases to get threaded cases for oal gauge. Did Wheeler technique for distance to lands, but seems like bullet pretty deep. Just looking for a general comparison to what I'm seeing.

4. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Overpressure would not be an issue unless you are running a tight necked chamber with minimal brass clearance. If you have a SAAMI/near SAAMI and .003+ clearance between brass/chamber in your neck the worst that might happen is inconsistent grouping.

5. david kieffer

david kieffer Gold $$ Contributor

kurt , I make my own modified cases very easy to do. all you need a 5/16 x 28 tap ,I think it's 28 maybe 32 tpi can someone please verify . it's best to use a fired case from your chamber. another easy solution would be take a fired case and just partily size 1/4 -1/3 of the neck or less just enough to hold the bullet but still slide . or make 2 slits @ 180 degrees with a dremmel tool. another method I don't care for but some do would be seat a bullet long, paint it with marker or dikem chamber it remove and look for land marks on ojive continue to seat deeper till no marks are visable . hope this helps . dave

6. Kurt Blasser

Thanks Dave. If I'm necking up will this cause the donut?

7. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

You will 'recruit' brass from the thicker shoulder area into the neck when a case is necked up. This will cause a 'donut'. If you can keep the bearing surface above that area it will not influence your load...regardless of where the boat tail extends (short of having a very long boat tail that is compressing the powder column).