Bergara rifles

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by RW, Aug 12, 2018.

1. RW

RW Gold $$ Contributor

I seen a previous post if any one has any experience with the Bergara rifles? I work at a store that sells them! Than You, RW

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

What do your customers say? Id be interested since ive been asked a bunch. I know they use hammer forged barrels and paul the boltfluter can make them look good

3. boltfluter

boltfluter

Rw,

From what I have seen the bolts are very nice and very hard. They machine with the best of them.:D:D

Paul

PPR PICS 852.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I've handled them. Pretty nice, but nothing special that really sticks out from the crowd. They do seem a little nicer than the competition in the same price range. Trigger is ok. Reviews in outdoor and hunting magazines praise them for good hunting accuracy.

Nice thing is that the Bergara B14 can use Remington 700 aftermarket stocks and triggers.

5. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

A buddy has one. Shot really well out of the box with factory ammo. Never got bigger than an inch, most groups were half that.

6. JaoeyP

JaoeyP Silver $$ Contributor

I have one of the first HMRs they shipped. Mine shoots Hornady American Gunner 140gr bthp sub MOA (4.5" group at 600 yards). I love the EASY bolt lift on the cocking cycle. The stock is comfy but I switched it out when I had good opportunity on a McMillan. I had to send mine back because it was double feeding. They gave me a shipping label and turned the rifle around in about two weeks. I think for the money they are great rifles.

7. Twicepop

Twicepop

Not with their rifles, but with their barrels. I bought a Bergara barrel for a TC Encore I used to have, the fit and finish were outstanding, the accuracy was great also. The problem was head spacing, the chamber was too long by about .007", checked with a Wilson case gauge and a depth mike, and verified by the Bergara/CVA people. The barrel was originally stamped .222 Remington, and re-chambered to .223 Remington. I questioned this, and was told the the barrels were originally made in Spain, and because of their laws pertaining to civilian ownership of firearms chambered in military calibers, they are made this way and shipped to the U.S. for re-chambering. A replacement barrel was not available, so I accepted a different firearm in exchange for the bad barrel. That exchange firearm was traded for an old 722 Remington in .222 Remington with a worn out extractor, it was someones bench rifle at one time. It has a really nice walnut bench rest style stock, a "heavy" 1+ inch diameter barrel and still shoots great, after I had the extractor replaced with a SAKO extractor.

Jsjac likes this.
  8. Ken

Ken Silver $$ Contributor

I stopped by the 1000 yd range last week, The four guys that were shooting all had Bergaras in 6 or 6.5 Creedmore. They all like them,

9. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker Gold $$ Contributor

I thought that one of the good things was supposed to be their button rifled barrels that Shilen supposedly taught them how to make? Is this not the case?

10. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

As far as I know Bergara barrels are button rifled in-house...and I have read that Ed Shilen taught them how to make button rifled barrels.

11. GerryM

GerryM

Hammer forge barrels?? are you sure about that ?

I was under the impression that ED SHILLEN went to Spain to teach them how to make HIGH quality rifle barrels

Why would they use hammer forged barrels, seeing they have the tech to make high quality rifle barrels?

12. Dusty Stevens

I stand corrected for sure. Thought i had seen that on a tv ad.

13. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

From the Bergara barrel page:

Manufacturing process
    1. Straightening of the barrels

The first step to a Bergara barrel starts with a cylindrical bar, checking and straightening each barrel to a deviation of less than 0.10mm. The analysis of this aspect is important for its influence in the grouping.

2. Deep hole drilling

Once the steel bar is straightened, it moves on to the deep hole drilling process.

3. Barrel Honing

Most barrel makers go from deep hole drilling to reaming and then on to rifling. The reaming process leaves tool marks that are 90 degrees to the rifling. Bergara incorporates the honing process. These honing spindles utilize dimanond-tipped bits that polish the barrel's interior surface to a mirror-like finish with a uniformity of the bore which does not vary more than 0.002mm for the entire length of the barrel.

4. Button rifling - Stress Relieving

The rifling process is performed by button or olive method, that means a cold rolling of the inner of the barrel. The barrel copies the shape of the button meanwhile it is drawn through the barrel, creating by this way the appropriate lands and grooves at the required twist rate for each caliber. Then it goes on to the stress relieving of the steel.

14. GerryM

GerryM

I have a new 30 cal blank sitting on the rack I bore scoped it and honestly it looks just like a shllen match barrel inside
    I see no tool maks etc and the rifling pattern is the same from what i can see with a hawk eye scope.

15. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I ran into a young fellow at the range a couple of weeks ago and he had a Bergara in .308 Win. with him. Nice young man and we got to chatting between strings. I commented on his Bergara set up and he invited me to take a closer look. For what he paid, I'd say the rifles are a good value. As @Ledd Slinger said above, the trigger is pretty decent. Very good, actually, for a hunting rifle.

He asked me if I wanted to give it a try and I took him up on it. His rate of fire was 'spirited', so the barrel was a bit on the warm side and my expectations for results on the target were modest. It shot respectably, putting three 175 gr. factory loads into a group a little under an inch - that's with a hot barrel and an unfamiliar driver that had had too much coffee (me). The ergonomics were good and the overall feel was of pretty good build quality.

If one is in the market for a Rem. 700 or a Savage, I'd say the Bergara is worth a look. That it will work with many Remington pattern bits and pieces is a positive feature.

270WinDude, Ledd Slinger and JaoeyP like this.
  16. Larryh128

Larryh128

I sighted in a Beraga rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor for a friend. The 1st 3 shots at 100 yds went into 1 hole with factory ammo. I was impressed with a factory rifle.

17. Dusty Stevens

So they take remington pattern triggers?

18. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

From their FAQ

Q: What triggers do you use?
    A:

We use TriggerTech triggers in our Custom and Premier rifles. Using TriggerTech's Frictionless Release Technology™, this trigger provides a true zero-creep break, extremely short over-travel and offers outstanding reliability, even in the harshest environments. Utilizing CLKR Technology™, the pull weight is quickly and confidently adjusted from 1.5 - 4.0 lbs in 1oz increments from an externally accessible set screw. Due to the exceptionally crisp break, most shooters report the pull weights feeling ~0.5lbs lighter than a friction based trigger of the same measured pull weight. Frictionless Release Technology™, along with hardened 440C stainless steel internal components ensure corrosion resistance and an extended service life. As Frictionless Release Technology™ does not rely on coating, polishing or lubricating the key engagement surfaces, trigger pulls will be more consistent from shot to shot and after thousands of shots than you ever thought possible.

All pull weights and measurements are approximate. ***Pull weights of TriggerTech Triggers are directly impacted by firing pin spring weight. Overweight firing pin springs may cause pulls weights to vary above the advertised range***

There are many triggers on the market, and other triggers can be ordered for Custom Series rifles if the customer has a preference.

Our B14 triggers are our design made in our factory in Spain.

Not sure this helps, but more info.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  19. 270WinDude

270WinDude

The trigger on the b14s don't appear to me to be the same as the rem700s that I've looked up online. Total guess but I'd say it's whatever they got their hands on for cheap from somewhere out of house. Mine doesn't adjust, it's a marketing ploy. I'm sure I could fish scale it to test the amount but the metal stripped after turning the allen screw after 1 turn so it don't matter anyway. A new trigger is on my to-do list.

20. klmshooterk

klmshooterk

I dont own one. I have a buddy who is in the market and looking for a good starter rifle. I did get to run the bolt and dry fire one at the store the other day. I Liked it.

Its about as slick as my tikka for lift and cycling. The trigger seemed nice and very useable. I use Timney 510's on my 700s and clones I have owned and factory on my tikka for reference. I have used fancier and dont like the jewell and am ok with single stage. I think the paddle on the dbm is plastic, so a replacement in hand or one of metal might be a good idea?
    the stock was more than useable, stiff fore end and a ton of flush cups, 2 studs up front that look perfectly spaced for a pic rail should one desire one. 22" barrel on the 6.5 creed seems ideal. Just a tad heavier than the tikka ctr 20" barrel rifle right next to it by feel, didnt weigh them.

Possibly not quite ready for big time competition and seemed great to get started and an ideal weight to work as a shooting rifle and a hunting rifle. At least until a guy could collect more rifles......