Bench shooting gun advice

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by spudgun, Jul 22, 2018.

1. spudgun

spudgun

I have been shooting for many years now. Just got the bug to try distance over 200 yds. Going to purchase a new rifle (bolt) and looking for some advise. I have 4 guns in mind:

1. Bergra B14 HMR, 6.5 creedmore
    2. Savage model 10, 6.5 creedmoore
    3. Ruger Precision, 6.5 Creedmoore
    4. Tikka T3 tact, 6.5 Creedmoore

Now I know everyone will say the gun they are shooting is the best. Just looking for opinions on never owning one of these guns which one would you pick.

bored184 likes this.
  2. spudgun

spudgun

i agree with you on the Rem 700. Have one in 7mm mag. was going to use that for long range but the recoil is a bit too much for this 70 yr old shoulder

DSC06351.JPG

mensajd and dedeadeye like this.
  3. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

When making a similar purchase, I went with the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I really like the rifle/caliber however, I have started wanting less recoil (6.5 isn’t much but I’d like less). I have pretty much made up my mind on the Savage 12 F-Class chambered in 6mm BR (6BR). This has target accu-trigger (6 oz. - 2.5 lb pull), 30” SS barrel, single shot target action and can be had at $1200 retail. Significantly softer recoil than the already mild 6.5 Creedmoor in the Ruger. 6BR has stellar ballistics and is very capable shooting out to 1000 yards and beyond. Also, with the Savage barrel nut design you can do your own barrel changes when/if desired.

Tim Singleton likes this.
  4. Falfan2017

Falfan2017 Gold $$ Contributor

Can't go wrong with savage. Their factory f class is a good choice. Also if you want to go semi custom you can get their target action and screw on a match barrel for about the same price. 6.5 is good or 6 br will give you a bit cheaper reloading costs and less recoil and arguably better accuracy potential.

Tim Singleton likes this.
  5. _Raining

_Raining

Bergara is a rem 700 footprint so stocks and triggers will be available but I believe remage barrels do not work.

6. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

That helps for sure

7. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Noticed you want a 6.5 Creedmore. Now guessing you really just want something to hit steel somewhere at longer range. For real precise shooting the factory rifles of near all kinds are not built with the precision parts and dimensions to really shoot small groups way out. Funny how so many try to take "precision" rifles in Creedmore to the benchrest activities and get discouraged.

If you really want some kind of precision shooting and not Precision Rifle events with a magazine, you need single shot rifles with custom barrels in calibers like 6 BR or variants, 6 X47 or 6.5 x 47 for low recoil and long range real performance.

8. spudgun

spudgun

Savage model 10 stealth, 6.5 Creedmoor. 20 or 24 inch barrel? Any difference besides velocity?

9. Ggmac

Ggmac

Build your own using an older real bench gun . Try Bob at shooters corner for some great deals on still shooting BENCHREST rifles. Add the barrel of your choice .

SPJ likes this.
  10. Ggmac

Ggmac

The ones listed will quickly be outgrown. You'll either be looking for more upgrades only to be in the same $ as a real custom . Life's too short to waste time guessing if it's the gun or you

Nick Caprinolo and LRPV like this.
  11. walker2713

walker2713 Gold $$ Contributor

Savage F Class or Benchrest rifle in 6 BR.....if you tire of the 6BR, there's a ton of pre-fit barrels out there in a huge number of calibers. You can change them yourself...if I can do it anyone can.

12-f-class-1256045.jpeg