Been raining here...guess where the leak was

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by carlsbad, Feb 18, 2019.

1. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

20190218_105235.jpg

Don and swd like this.
  2. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

So the one time in every two years it rains in San Diego, it rains over your draw bar??? Man, that totally blows goats!!! Ugh...she'll live though I'm thinking...go buy ya a gallon of WD and get to chasing it I guess...be good ..Kevin

3. mrjdasr

mrjdasr Silver $$ Contributor

could have been a lot worse, like over you tool box with all the mikes and dial indicaters etc

Ramblerman likes this.
  4. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Bummer,makes a man want to cry when something like that happens .

Ramblerman likes this.
  5. carlsbad

It's a longer, sadder story. The last rainy winter we had was 2005. I was going through my divorce and not using the mill. After the divorce, I got custody of the kids so no shopwork for a while. When I started it up years later the bearings got hot and disintegrated. took it apart and found everything rusty. I rebuilt it with sealed bearings.

Turns out the mill is sitting right under a beam that supports the 2nd story wall. The garage extends 10 feet out from the 2nd story and the lower roof over the garage was leaking where it met the 2nd story wall. Water drips off the beam onto the drawbar.

This fall I got a new roof installed. $25,000 or so counting termite repairs. I told them about the leak. They guaranteed they would fix it. I was very happy with their work and had full confidence in the repairs. First couple of rains I checked the garage. no leaks.

2 weeks ago I was wiring up that new lathe and a new 3ph grinder. While running the wires in the overhead I took down the rain deflector I had installed over the mill. Last week we got a hard blowing rainstorm with 5" of rain in 24 hours (would even qualify for a rainstorm outside of CA). Since I had already checked the garage for leaks, I thought nothing of it.

Today I turned on the mill for a quick job to true up a piece of aluminum for a fixture and I felt water flung from the belts hit me in the face....

Took it apart and the bearings I put in 10 years ago are feeling a bit rough...really shouldn't be no more than I use it... but I guess they need to be replaced. It also has almost .001 TIR on the taper and that bugs me so I'm going to send it off for regrind and new bearings.

Anybody familiar with the 4-bearing setup that these guys do? I think i'm going to try it. Kindo pricey but a pair of US made ABEC 7 bearings are $350.

Option 2:

https://www.cm-spindle.com/services/replace-spindle-bearings/

If anyone thinks I'm crazy to spend so much for this repair I'm willing to listen.

--Jerry

6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Jerry,

Don't know anything about the company but it looks like a very nice rigid set up. Seems like a descent price compared to the 2 bearing price. Really no help, just my thoughts. :D:D

Paul

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I say go for it. Its not wasted money

boltfluter likes this.
  8. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Go for the bearing and regrind and there’s your sign you need to get out of California !

9. tobnpr

tobnpr

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but new roof (w/guarantee)?
    Contractor would be liable for the damage (part of General Liability, Products/Completed Ops).

Fact that it was a frog-drowner (as we call em here in FL) wouldn't affect their liability based on type/location of leak as described IMO.

10. 55fairlane

55fairlane

I take it your roofers were the same ones who did the roof at the machine shop I work in.....when it rains hard or snow melts we get over an inch of water in the weld shop t hst flows right to the tool room (luckily I have sand bags and a drain ,tool makers hate wet feet)............I hate taking B-port heads apart....but that being said, these guys are right down the street from me, https://www.machinerypartsdepot.com , they do good work, and have some great you tube vids on machine repair.....I think they stock exchange b-port spindles/quills assembly

11. carlsbad

Oh yea. I expect the roofing company to repair the roof. I think it is a flashing problem and I'm going to suggest hot mop the joint.

12. carlsbad

H&W are good guys. I've been buying Bridgeport parts from them for years. They supplied the sealed bearings I used last time I rebuilt the spindle. Their video makes taking the spindle out more complicated than it needs to be. I removed it by myself in 5 minutes. --Jerry