Bedding Scope Rings- Top Half As Well??

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by bichettereds, Feb 11, 2019.

1. bichettereds

bichettereds Silver $$ Contributor

How important is it to bed the top half of the rings as well?

If you do, is there a secret to keeping the compound from creeping between the two halves where the screws go?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Sniper338

Sniper338

Ones Ive seen done are bedded on the top too.

3. cptjack

cptjack

WHY NOT LAP THEM?

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  4. bichettereds

I want a perfect fit. Already bedded the bottom half. Are you saying why not just lap the top halves or are you saying why not lap everything and don’t bed anything?

5. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

If rings are tilted relative to each other so that you have to remove a lot of material to get contact all the way across (for and aft) bedding can be a good option, but if rings are well aligned and you are just perfecting contact, then I do not think that you gain much functionally.
    Caps can tilt a bit, and so I simply lap them separately on the bar. Of course there would be no harm in bedding everywhere the scope touches a ring, if that pleases you.

6. RWO

RWO

Why not use Burris Signature rings and forget all the bedding and/or lapping BS?

RWO

STOMP442 likes this.
  7. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

The top half of most rings is pretty compliant,(bottom too but to a lesser degree) meaning it's made to wrap around and conform to the top of the scope. That lets it self adjust to small irregularities but it also makes a pinch point where scope ring marks mostly come from.

I'm not saying not to lap or bed...Just in regard to the top half, specifically a Kelbly or Harrell's type BR rings. It's just a thin aluminum strap.

8. bichettereds

These are Harrell’s. Avoiding ring marks was one of the reasons I wanted to bed. Do you think just knocking off the edge on both sides (the pinch points) would be enough or would bedding be necessary?

Curious what you do, and if you bed the tops, what’s your process?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. bichettereds

Weight. I’m less than an ounce under the LV class limit as it is. Adding a picatinny rail and switching to Burris rings would put me way over and there isn’t much else I can see myself sacrificing for weight to allow the use of Burris rings... but I do like those rings. Use them on all my non BR guns.

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Taking a file or knife to the inside square edges will go a long ways to eliminate ring marks in those type rings. The edge between the screw holes and where the tube goes. When you tighten the screws it squeezes in and dents the scope. Ive never concerned myself with ring marks. Im gonna put my scope in there where it wont move no matter what that takes.

rangertim and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  11. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I never bed the tops. Just smooth that sharp edge at all 4 places on each ring, generously.

12. WillyTP

WillyTP FBBW Gold $$ Contributor

When I do em, I’m using such a small amount and then kinda rotate them a little around the scope tube. If you don’t put too much on the top to start with then it won’t be a problem. Make sure you put release agent there and you’ll be fine.