barrel twist in relation to type of rifling

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Crackerbacks, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Crackerbacks

Crackerbacks Silver $$ Contributor

I have been toying with the idea of building a 6 creedmoor and I like what I hear about the dracos barrels but they only produce the 6 creedmoor in a 1-9 twist and I want to shoot the 105 hybrids so I asked about a 1-8 custom barrel. Here is their response:

Hello Matt,
    At this point we do not provide custom twist barrels. I understand that our barrel twist rates are a little confusing to say the least, however keep in mind that we are not using the traditional style rifling. We are using Caudle Rifing. Caudle Rifling is a state of the art polygonal hybrid style rifling that has interesting characteristics. Our twist rates are designed to be the optimal twist rate for that barrel system.
    Nick

Does this sounds right? My understanding was bullet stability was a direct relation to the rpm's after the bullet leaves the barrel? Maybe I am wrong?

2. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

That's a roundabout way of telling you they don't have a button for it.

Rogmay and JLT like this.
  3. mikecr

mikecr

Not RPM, but displacement per turn.
    Their response sounds hokey

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  4. Kurz

Kurz

5. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Silver $$ Contributor

As stated previously...barrel length per full turn of the bullet combined with muzzle velocity will give the spin rate and gyroscopic stability factor. Anything else is just a sales pitch in terms of how fast the bullet will be spinning when it exits the bore. That is not to say different types of rifling don't have properties that may be of some value (i.e. cleaning purposes, stress on bullet jackets, etc.). However, a 9-twist is a 9-twist...it won't magically make your bullet spin faster. The only way to do that is to get a faster twist pipe, or speed up your muzzle velocity. Of the the two choices, the first is the more reliable approach; the second may not even be realistic or possible due to safety concerns.

seymour fish and Down South like this.
  6. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Physics in, physics out. Junk data in, junk data out.

7. Crackerbacks

Crackerbacks Silver $$ Contributor

My BS meter was going off but I just thought I would throw it out there in case I was missing something

8. normmatzen

normmatzen Silver $$ Contributor

Has anyone but me thought the Caudle rifling is so ill defined that a bullet will slip in the rifling if the rotational acceleration is too high?

Hence the limit on 1 in 9 for this rifling along with 6mm bullets at ~ 3000 fps.