BARREL TORQUE

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by billlarson, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Titandriver

Titandriver Gold $$ Contributor

Southern Precision Rifles Recommended torque values:

• Custom actions, or Remingtons trued by SPR: 70 Ft-Lbs

• Factory actions: 80-100 Ft-Lbs

jepp2 and BenPerfected like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

3. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I have changed barrels eleventy seven gajillion times and have never applied a torque wrench!!

Tod

Dgd6mm, msinc, JMP and 5 others like this.
  4. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

40-50 ft. lbs. Nickled anti-seize.

bblackwell likes this.
  5. Dave Way

Dave Way Gold $$ Contributor

With all these differing recommendations, I'd like to hear from someone who actually had one come loose. How many ft/lbs did you put that one on with?

I switch barrels quite frequently when testing and have never had one come loose. I use a t-wrench and really don't think I tighten very much at all. I've never had an issue with head-space changing either.

Dave.

6. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

Kelbly recommends a minimum of 100 ft lbs.

billlarson likes this.
  7. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Tony Boyer said use copper anti seize and 50lbs of torque; or do what your smith recommends.

billlarson likes this.
  8. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

6.5grendel, msinc, dave@aDave and 6 others like this.
  9. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

So True!

10. Ron Gorski

Ron Gorski

Breakaway torque gives no indication of what the unit was torqued originally. Due to dirt, corrosion and other environmental factors, the amount of torque needed to remove a nut (barrel) is no indication of original torque values. Engineers tried this in aerospace and we proved them wrong every time. Plus I've seen very expensive torque wrenches destroyed (and scraped) removing nuts.

msinc and rardoin like this.
  11. Ron Gorski

Ron Gorski

My gunsmith friend had his barrel come loose during a match because he forgot to use a torque wrench. He finished the match by hand tightening after each shot.

billlarson likes this.
  12. mgdietrich

mgdietrich

T wrench, snug is all I need. Regular grease is your friend, anti-seize gets everywhere and not really designed for the low heat applications.

13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

If you have a properly machined joint and snap them together they usually wont come loose. I know a bunch of br shooters that have never used a wrench nor had one come loose

Dgd6mm, msinc, Bamban and 6 others like this.
  14. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):p

Gappmast likes this.
  15. ihmsakiwi

ihmsakiwi

I asked this question of Barnard just recently as they are not too far from where I live and I use their action in F-Class.
    Their recommendation to me for my switch barrel rifle was 70 ftlbs.

billlarson likes this.
  16. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I just give it a little snap with the T-wrench and have never had an issue. If I just give it a light snap by hand I can not remove it by hand.......Theoretically, doesn't the barrel tighten as you shoot it due to the barrel twist?

Regards
    Rick

17. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

Heck of a variety of answers,from"usually won,t come loose" to 150ft/lbs.... many have witnessed loose barrels...using a machinery handbook i,ll stay with what they recommend..
    Thanks all for replies...
    Bill

18. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Yep. Lots of answers. I've never seen one come loose. But I do want to make sure that I have enough preload on the joint that it can't relax during firing so I use 100 ft lbs or so. Note this is a concept that hasn't been mentioned in the previous 2 pages. --Jerry

tomswede and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  19. JMayo

JMayo

Ohh, bout 3 wacks lightly with a mallet !
    I heard of the 3 bumps a long time ago.

20. linebaugh

linebaugh Silver $$ Contributor

I have never used a torque wrench for a bbl, stock, base, rings in my life. I for sure will not say that I am correct and that it would not be better but I am brave enough to admit the facts. One thought comes to mind about the torque numbers is I wonder how accurate they will be given the deflection of the varied wrench methods. For instance how accurate would it be over the length of an 8" internal action wrench that runs off the bolt abutments? And as stated earlier are we running dry or with lube.

I don't think this is a hot topic except for those whom I am hearing of having loose barrels. If I used a torque wrench I would shoot for an obscure number like 77.5 just to make people wonder what I was thinking.

Correction. I did use a wheeler screwdriver type torque wrench once at a friends request because he had it. I did not get the feeling it was repeating well but I may be wrong.

damoncali, waltkrafft and Titandriver like this.