Barrel Temp. Remington 700 ?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by falco1112, Sep 14, 2018.

1. LVLAaron

LVLAaron Silver $$ Contributor

Any idea how your velocity changes? I know when I'm at the end of a 20 round string my barrel can get up to about 160 and my FPS goes up 20fps or so...

On the other hand, steel expands roughly a thou every 100 degrees F.

2. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

I've never ran it across a chrono in a match, guess I need to try it.

Darrin

3. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

For me 15 to 20 shots at most then let it cool...I clean after every shooting outing before rifle goes away..

4. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons

We chatted about barrel temps on another forum a while back.

Some of the fastest kool down tools are, a bucket of water with a rag. It's not my favorite tool since things get pretty wet,,, but it seems to work.

A battery powered Coalman air mattress pump works good .

Leave the bolt open, put the discharge spout into the action as the out side air flow will knock the temps in a few minutes.

Quick, simple ,easy and frugal, about $10 Usd or @20 Cnd funds.

Those little pumps take up nill for room and weigh in at just over a lb with batteries installed.

5. AlaBusa

AlaBusa

Get a Sako and not worry about poi shift. With the cryogenic stress relief they do, it doesn't matter how hotbthe barrel gets, poi stays the same.

6. searcher

searcher

Figure any barrel is consumed by throat erosion to a noticeable degree over the course of thousands of rounds. And that is with the barrel NEVER getting hot - like maybe shooting a few rounds then coming to complete cool. The hotter the barrel, the softer the metal is at the hottest part of the barrel - the throat. Stands to reason that the hotter the barrel - the more progressive the throat erosion. The cooler you are able to maintain it - the better your barrel will be for the long haul. I think (with absolutely no scientific basis) that if you can't hold your barrel without burning your hand - you might want to let it cool a bit.

7. mike06

mike06

Coleman barrel cooler.

Attached Files:

mike a likes this.
  8. topclass2017

topclass2017 Silver $$ Contributor

This is my experience based on what makes me comfortable.

I use a barrel cooling fan (barrelcool.com if I remember correctly) after 10-15 shots in the summer and maybe 20-25 in the winter. I have a barrel thermometer (from McMaster-Carr) mounted about 4" in front of the chamber and when barrel temp measured there hits 133 I switch rifles for awhile. I was always told if a barrel is too hot to hold onto it is too hot. Whether that is accurate advice or not it is advice I have followed, just because. Not that barrels get cooled down much in Central Texas in the summer...in the winter I can drop my barrel temp from 133 to under 100 in less than 15 minutes. Interesting, too, the mirage I get off a hot barrel here in the winter.

My Dad who was old school taught me to clean firearms everytime they were shot. I might not if I only put a handful of rounds down range, but for a normal shooting day I clean my equipment when I get home. Again, just because. My goal is to get all the crud out and at least, the worst of the carbon fouling. My last patch seems to always have a little gray tinge, and if I come back the next day and run another patch it is certainly darker. So what is clean? My cleaning routine is different for rimfire than centerfire, as lead seasoning in a rimfire is key to consistency and accuracy. But then a good shooting buddy doesn't clean his rimfire silhouette or small bore rifles until groups start to open up or he starts missing animals.

So I guess it's "to each his own", whether its barrel temp or cleaning. What works for you is what works for you. And all the better if you have something objective or anecdotal (as in my case) to fall back and say "that's why".