Barrel support in larger lathes

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Bataction, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Bataction

Bataction Silver $$ Contributor

How are you supporting the barrels in lathes where an outboard spider is not possible or for rechambering short barrels?

2. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

I tried machining between centers but wasn't happy with some vibration I was getting. So what I did was dialed the bore in at the muzzle & took a light skim cut on the o.d. I then made up a delrin bushing for a slight interference fit with both the barrel & the i.d. of the spindle. Worked well for me.

Keith

Davester and Bataction like this.
  3. Bataction

Bataction Silver $$ Contributor

This is exactly what I do but I used aluminum bushings. I wanted to see what everyone else was doing as well.

4. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

You could build a fixture like that of what some folks use for actions.

Ray

butchlambert likes this.
  5. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

I still do most work between centers . Can chamber with some practice .
    Easier set up and , I guess I'm lucky but no chatter .
    I know I know chamber , yes , I use a bungee around the dog or a split collar . Hope this makes sense , no coffee yet .

Terry likes this.
  6. GenePoole

GenePoole

I have a conventional outboard/inboard spider setup but on my South Bend 13, this only works for barrels 26 or so inches or more. For shorter barrels, I have a "cat's head" which is just 2 spiders stacked. Mine actually has 3 planes so I can use it for pistol barrels, actions, etc. All my spiders and cat's head are threaded to directly attach to the spindle for maximum rigidity and minimum stick-out.

[​IMG]

Raythemanroe, hogpatrol and Bataction like this.
  7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You can get the viper fixture from @The Viper

Phil Peterson, hogpatrol and Terry like this.
  8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Different ways to skin the cat. Through hole is 2" I just leave it on the face plate. Mounts to an old Clausing. YMMV IMAG0135.jpg

swd likes this.
  9. Larryh128

Larryh128

I made a brass center that slides into/thru the head stock and secures to length by a spider. The fit needs to be snug but you are in the center of the chuck.

10. paperpuncher

paperpuncher Silver $$ Contributor

Get a pc of stock about 1 1/4 od long enough so that the length when combined with the barrel will be longer than the headstock. Take the bar and bore and thread one end for something that will mate with the od of the barrel. Lets say 5/8 or 3/4 x whatever you like. Flip the bar around bore and thread the other end the same as the action example 1.0625X16, set the bar to the side. Put a thread on the muzzle of the barrel (this will get cut off later, need to take an inch anyway)that will mate to the smaller end of the bar. Join the bar to the barrel and install in the lathe now it will extend through. Machine your tenon and cut the chamber. Flip it around use the other end of the bar to mate to the tenon that you just cut indicate it cut the thread off the muzzle and crown it.
    As mentioned sometimes a spider chuck on the muzzle end will get you by on my lathe it allows me to go to about 24" if I want a shorter tube I use the bar extension

11. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

I thought of doing it that way in the past so thanks for the testimony it works ok. Actually thought of using a sleeve to slide over the barrel fastened on by set screws and the sleeve long enough to get out past my outboard spider but I want to minimize disturbance to the barrel by the setscrews. Though people with these cat heads do it all the time with apparently little negative effects.

12. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

I make bushings with O-rings on the outside to make a tight self centering fit in the spindle. ID's are configured different ways for different applications.

hogpatrol and hpshooter like this.
  13. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

"I make bushings with O-rings on the outside to make a tight self centering fit in the spindle. ID's are configured different ways for different applications."

Dave,
    How wide are the bushings and are the faces radiused or tapered toward the O.D. so the bushing can pivot to a degree on the "O" ring to allow the chamber end to be indicated in with minimum bending force applied to the barrel?

Thanks,

14. DaveTooley

Some are out of various plastics and some are aluminum. I have some that are two inches long with two o-rings on the OD with O-rings on the ID. Those I don't want to pivot. I have some with a single O-ring on the OD and the ID is made to fit a specific barrel taper or cylinder section. I have some with the ID threaded to fit different tenons and muzzles. Some are O-rings inside and outside and only used as vibration dampeners. 24+" barrels get dialed in with two spiders.
    I don't believe for a second that it's the perfect solution for shorter barrels but I never seen any compromise in the chambers or on the target.
    You have to have a tool box full of cat skinning methods.

15. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

The Grizzly 4 jaw chuck has enough balls to hold the barrel while chambering and threading without rear support. It's not ideal but it will work.

From my experience doing both, it's better than the steady rest method but I've built a couple of rifles that are exceptional off the steady rest method.

16. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Whats different about the grizzly chuck and my buck chuck? My buck may have enough balls to hold a barrel but by the time it does its already squeezed the inside dia down and if its on the taper it still doesnt have full jaw contact

17. shortgrass

shortgrass

You're joking, right?! That Grizzly chuck doesn't have anything a Buck or a PBA has, except a lot more error built into it. Let 'er whip!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    DaveTooley, hogpatrol and ridgeway like this.
  18. DaveTooley

"It's not ideal but it will work"
    Boy is that an understatement.

19. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Six foot cheater pipe on the chuck wrench. It'll hold. o_O

Danley, ckaberna, shortgrass and 2 others like this.
  20. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

I’ve already found a new expert in all things to put on ignore list.

hogpatrol and Danley like this.