Barrel set back

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by RetiredArmy, Jan 23, 2019.

1. RetiredArmy

RetiredArmy Silver $$ Contributor

Wondering if a barrel installed with a nut (savage) or other's that have excessive head space verified with no-go gauge can be set back by loosening the nut and resetting head space. Or do they have to be cut back like a "normal" barrel? Buddy's 6mm br with around 4500 rds according to him.
    Thanks Bill

2. savagedasher

savagedasher

That is the reason for the nut it is used for setting head space

RetiredArmy likes this.
  3. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I’m not exactly sure what your asking. You can re-set the head space but that won’t do anything for you if the throat is burned out from shooting 4500 rounds.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Iowa Fox, WyleWD, AJC and 4 others like this.
  4. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino Silver $$ Contributor

May have to buy/fit new brass too.

RetiredArmy likes this.
  5. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

I've got a factory Savage bolt action that a no-go gage will chamber in. It's off by a few thou, and I could simply loosen the nut and screw the barrel in a smidgeon but why bother? The rifle shoots tiny groups and the brass is capable of reloading many times, no excessive thinning.

RetiredArmy and Boyd L. like this.
  6. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

I'm not sure what he means either. He states ( verified h/s gauge) but then 4500 rounds. However it's got me thinking. So, how about it? I have a Shilen stainless select match, savage prefit. Cost me a whopping $375.00 to my door. Shoots great and not shot out yet. I'm not a smith so I don't know if it's possible but what would it cost? Don't say $375.00

RetiredArmy likes this.
  7. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

As others have mentioned, your post is a bit confusing. That said, you can absolutely reset headspace on a savage; provided it's not chambered incorrectly, you should be able to loosen the nut and turn the barrel in until it won't close on a no-go.

Only takes ~30 minutes and requires an action wrench, vice, torque wrench, and a barrel nut wrench.

If it's not wildly out of whack or posing a safety problem, it may not do you much good. I doubt you'll see much (if any) accuracy improvement.

If it's a 6mm and it's got 4500 rounds through it, you should just grab a new barrel and headspace the rifle using that. :)

8. RetiredArmy

Thanks to all sorry for the confusion. Bolt closed on no-go, only reason for round count mentioned, I knew someone would ask. Just wasn't sure if it could really be that easy with the nut. He has had some case head separation, that's where this all started.
    Thanks Bill

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

Case head separation is usually from over working the brass. Usually from sizing the shoulder back too far, and a lot of firings. How many firings on his brass ?

If all the brass is around the same amount of firings he should replace the brass. Because the others are soon to follow. Secondly he should adjust how much shoulder bump his die has. I wouldn't worry about the barrel headspace. Otherwise he may end up having to do a full load work up again. Which he still may have to do, if he adjusts his die properly.

10. RetiredArmy

He said it happened on once fired Lapua(separated 2nd time loaded).
    30gr varget, 107 smk.
    Thanks Bill

11. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

Yeah, something is wrong with that, but it's odd this problem would crop up at the ~4,500 round mark. If the headspace is the cause, it should have been problematic from the start.

I'd just grab a new barrel and be done with it. Lots of inexpensive yet quality pre-threaded/chambered options out there for a Savage. Only requires a little youtube watching and 30 minutes of your time. ;)

12. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

How much further ahead was his shoulder on fired cases ?

Is that a known good load on that barrel?

RetiredArmy likes this.
  13. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

The load may be a little hot. I believe the Sierra bearing surface is long amd you might be ocerpressure. I also agree about bumping the cases too much. If the headspace is long, I would of false shouldered to fireform. Or at least shot them in the lands hard. Then only bumped .001. Matt

RetiredArmy likes this.
  14. varget204

varget204

Yes you can reset headspace,loosen barrel nut,barrel;use go gage,if you want Minimum Headspace,you can use Go Gage with .001 to .002 piece of paper,brass shim stock on back of go gage.Bolt should NOT CLOSE. USE TORQUE WRENCH TO TIGHTEN.Saves the cost of NO-GO Gage gives minimal headspace.Most No-Go gages will give you .005-.010 headspace;you will not stretch cases near as much,will probably get Tighter Groups w/ Headspace on LOW SIDE

RetiredArmy likes this.
  15. savagedasher

savagedasher

With a nut the tight you tigh it it will decrease head space
    That is different the tighing on a shoulder that decrease head space

RetiredArmy likes this.
  16. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

If your headspace was correct originally and the barrel burned the thoat it will be burnt for several inches. You would not be able to correct that much by turning the barrel in. For the money involved, buy a new barrel. 4500 rounds is plenty for any piece of steel.

mikeinct and RetiredArmy like this.
  17. varget204

varget204

Tightening Barrel NUT does Not Reduce Headspace Unless you are Cranking too much.Burning throat out Does NOT Effect Headspace.Headspace is distance from Bolt Face to Datum ON Shoulder.IF BOLT Closes on NO-GO Gage,you have Too Much Headspace.YOU can Reset .It will Not Help Any with Throat Errosion,if you wan't to do something about that,you will have to cut off 1"-2" of breech,rethread.rechamber,and Freshen Crown.If not you will have to Replace Barrel.

D Coots, mikeinct and RetiredArmy like this.
  18. msinc

msinc

Depending on how much clearance or "lash" is in the threads tightening the barrel nut could increase headspace while trying to reset it, because it will pull the barrel forward in the threads. Once set, or if it is already tight, I believe you can tighten it till your tongue falls out and it wont change the headspace.
    One thing I haven't seen but lightly mentioned in this thread is the fact that at some point trying to decrease headspace the breech might possibly hit the bolt and that is not good. It was touched on by Mr. McCasland when he wrote "provided it's not chambered incorrectly"...I agree.
    I also agree that there is more to this story...4500 rounds and all of a sudden "bang" the headspace is way off?????

19. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

He already has the no -go gauge , so use it !
    I would say get a new barrel , 4500 it's toast . At least he'll never have a stable load chasing the lands , whatever is remaining . Should be a lot easier to clean .
    If he's long in the headspace and he's been full length sizing the brass , the brass wouldn't survive the stretching for long .
    Who assembled the barrel to begin with , if he did AND he wasn't full length sizing ( hard contact ) the brass wouldn't be over worked and would have lasted longer than a hard contact , cam over resize . Still would stretch on initial reload and if it wasn't nosler brass ( recent cutting revealed case base wasn't solid to the .200 line and thin walls , was on 270 win ) should be OK .

RetiredArmy likes this.
  20. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Just a guess but , new dies , new brass , loose barrel , new bolt head , new recoil lug ( doubtful ) new press ( again doubtful )

RetiredArmy and msinc like this.