Barrel Rust

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by james, Nov 7, 2016.

1. james

james Gold $$ Contributor

Off beat question from the normal precision rifle topics. I inherited an Austin Halleck 50 caliber muzzle loader (out of business) and the inside of the barrel possesses a significant amount of rust - visible when viewing from the muzzle end. It's an inline ML with a very nice trigger and beautiful stock with great bluing however the barrel looks really BAD. Any ideas on how to salvage the barrel and remove the rust? Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Jb it with brass brush with a patch . I have one that is like your but no rust . Larry

3. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

Navel Jelly, and multiple patches, then wash with soap and water, then dry and oil. Wear protective gloves, and goggles. Tape up the barrel exterior to prevent ruining your bluing.

JRS likes this.
  4. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

That'll do it, for sure. It's much faster than using a polishing/abrasive medium.

5. shortgrass

shortgrass

Anywhere there is rust there are pits.

6. spladi

spladi Silver $$ Contributor

I've heard that coke works, maybe Kroil to loosen at first.

7. shortgrass

shortgrass

Track of the Wolf offers barrel liners for muzzle loaders.

8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

After your cleaning work, please let us know how it shoots. You may wind up with the same scenario as a friend of mine. He thinks cleaning the rifle should be a biennial endeavor. Went to the range with him and I looked down the bore of his CVA el cheapo muzzleloader and it looked like a moonscape :(. He proceeded to put three shots in 1" at 100 yds. I would have sent that barrel to the scrap can. I still can't figure it out.:confused:

msinc likes this.
  9. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

Makes me wonder how often Davey Crockett or Daniel Boone cleaned their rifles and how worried were they were about barrel pitting. Course they used
    bear fat for lube :rolleyes: and that probably kept them from rusting. Both of them were pretty good with their rifles, saw demonstrations on TV when I was a kid:D

Catgunguy, msinc and hogpatrol like this.
  10. james

james Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for the info.

11. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

They probably got cleaned when they were fording those chest high streams. :D:D:D This is one of those "overthinking" threads that pepper many shooting forums or as my old man used to say, "making a mountain out of a molehill". For crying out loud, run a brush through it, forget about the rust and just shoot the goldarn thing and let the target tell you if it's any good. It may be better to just leave most of the rust in it anyway. :p

hpshooter likes this.
  12. msinc

msinc

Yep. looks can be deceiving...I have a 1903 Springfield that has what sellers describe as a "dark" bore. It looks like the dark side of the moon in a borescope. It shoots minute of angle and does not foul. I have a C-stock on it and a Unertl scope. One of these days I am going to re-barrel it to 22-250 for varmints. It's fun to shoot but that steel buttplate hurts. I am in no hurry.

hogpatrol likes this.
  13. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

It's my opinion that bore scopes and internet forums have turned most shooters into a bunch of hand wringing sissies. :p

Life was more relaxing when we didn't know EXACTLY what our bores looked like, and paid more attention to how they ACTUALLY shot. jd

hpshooter, hogpatrol and SMITTY33 like this.
  14. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

"2 Oz. of Maiden Oil mixed with a Tsp. horse urine.

Makes about as much sense as some of the above potions."

Posted on another thread.

swd and hogpatrol like this.
  15. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

Had a Remington ML like that, I was going to say the barrel looking like a sponge it was so pitted. With a sabot 265 Hornady XTP it would still shoot just a shade over one inch at a 100. I am thinking the plastic takes the abuse of a rough bore a lot better than the patch on a lead ball would.

hogpatrol likes this.
  16. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

I'll get the Maiden oil, you get the horse urine.:D On second thought, I'll get the maiden oil and you can do whatever you want!

Hntndad and hogpatrol like this.