barrel removal

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by trapperdan, Feb 21, 2019.

1. trapperdan

trapperdan Gold $$ Contributor

How difficult is it to remove a barrel on a ruger #1. The action looks fragile.
    Dan

2. Gundoktr

Gundoktr

Never had a problem,, I use a padded wrench to hold the action and a tapered bushing fitted to the barrel and held in the barrel vise

shortgrass likes this.
  3. SET

SET Silver $$ Contributor

Easy as pie. Just follow the disassembly order.

4. Keith Kilby

Keith Kilby

I've re-barreled No.1 Rugers and getting the barrel out isn't a big deal. I use the same action wrench for the No.1/3 as I do for high walls, Ballards, and lever guns. Its 2 - .5" X 1" flat bars with 2 3/8" bolts through them. One bar is short and the other ever how long you deem needed for the handle. Leather pads glued on in contact area. The rear dowel pin for the quarter rib CAN be a pain to get out and the barrel will not turn off with it in place. If you're installing a new barrel and the dowel pin doesn't want to play nice just grind the sucker off. Replacement pins are cheap. I also have detailed notes on making the extractor cut....held horizontally in mill vs. vertical off the back of the mill table.

5. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Some come easy, some don’t. You never know until you mount it in the barrel vice and give it a try. I’ve seen both! And no the receiver isn’t fragil.

6. trapperdan

trapperdan Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for the good information. I have a friend that is a semi retired gun smith and he charges me very little if anything for helping me with some of my projects. I want to have a #1 re-barreled and am sure that he has probably done this before, but I don’t want to take advantage of his generosity by asking him to take on a job from hell.
    Thanks Again. Dan

7. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Easy as pie but the barrel is still on the action.

nmkid and swd like this.
  8. SET

Obviously, one would still need a barrel vise and square sided action wrench (internal or external). But you have to remove the internals before twisting off the barrel.

9. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Agreed, but none of that addresses the OP's question.

How difficult is it to remove a barrel on a ruger #1. The action looks fragile.
    Dan

10. SET

Okay, well let me put it this way.
    If you're competent it's easy. Just because it looks "fragile" doesn't mean it is.
    People have been switching barrels on No.1 and No.3 for years.