Barrel Nut - Less Enthused Now (for my use)

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Phil3, Sep 4, 2018.

1. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Contoured or straight pipe barrel blank, your chamber reamer cut to YOUR specs, (that you custom ordered way ahead of time) shipped off to your FAVORITE smith, threaded and chambered, returned whenever they get around to it. Cost less than say $800.00 +? That's with the cost of the reamer and which will be a one time fee.
    In my case, I ship my contoured barrel and my custom ordered reamer off to my smith, he threads the barrel and chambers it in about a week or so and has it back to me in nothing flat, as long as it isn't hunting season.;)
    Never a rush and he's all over it. Maybe in the $200.00 to $300.00 range and NO I won't tell you his name.:D
    With a nut, spin the barrel on , set the head space to YOUR specs and go shooting. Don't like that caliber? Order up another barrel, find or buy another custom reamer, have it threaded and chambered, spin it on, set the head space and go shooting.
    Shouldered barrel? The barrel AND action is down and out till the smith can get to it. Shouldered barrel cut WITHOUT the action?:rolleyes: You won't know till you get the action and barrel put together. Sum sing wong? Ship BOTH the action and barrel back to get ironed out.:mad: Now you wait.
    All of my Savage rigs (I think I have 5, I'd have to look;)) have the nut. All shot bug holes. If I don't like that caliber or want to try something different, I don't have to depend on anybody but myself to spin my barrel on so I can go shooting.
    I'll take the nut job any day.:D

DHuffman, tbeasley, Texas10 and 2 others like this.
  2. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Gold $$ Contributor

Ridiculous. Have you ever even had a good nut barrel? I BET YOU HAVE NOT, and you are just talking out of the side of your butt. Other than the clocking there is ZERO difference in accuracy. The nut has SEVERAL advantages over a machined barrel.

You can change the barrel to another action without machining. Try that with a shoulder.

I get so tired of the constant bashing of the nut. It is just ridiculous.

Mark W, DirtySteve, RDA72927 and 3 others like this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Theres constant bashing for a reason. Tinkerers love the nuts just like they love the non glue in action. Nuts have been out for how many decades now and are still not on the most accurate rifles when any of the top gunsmiths could put nuts on any action they wanted to.

boltfluter, rayporter and JBT like this.
  4. mike a

mike a Gold $$ Contributor

Tired of the bashing! Try having a creedmoor with a nut. That's double bashing.

5. normmatzen

normmatzen Gold $$ Contributor

What AckleymanII said plus;

I have two long range Bench Rest rifles with PTA and started BR with a barrel nut. The gun shot well enough for me to win a bunch of ribbons.
    Next barrels were all non-nut barrels and they are quicker to remove/install.
    Had a 284 WIN take-off barrel that dropped off it's edge after ~1500 rounds.
    Had a great gunsmith set the old barrel back and threaded it for a barrel nut. That way, I can put it on either action. And, with 1 1/2" removed, it does shoot fantastic! I have it on my heavy gun now for a practice barrel.
    I would say that if one doesn't like to pay for a new barrel to be head-spaced, a barrel nut will be just fine! I shoot with 2-3 other guys with Savage BR guns and they do not have an accuracy problem due to not clocking the barrel at 12:00. Matter of fact, one guy just won our last 1000yd match! Shooting is a Mental Effort!

AckleymanII, NorCalMikie and noload like this.
  6. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

You can also also test drive cartridges with a Bighorn, BAT or Inpact, as well as some others, without the use of a nut.

TL3 barrels, for example, are just a phone call away.

7. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

It's his opinion , ask him again after a few barrels . They have a place , but if you want a special reamer and barrel why would you even consider the nut UNTIL you add in all the extras needed AND order a few extra barrels to offset the tool cost . He could of easily had a no nut set up for the same as a nut set up with the tools needed . Or he could have taken his nut setup to the smith to install , or ...
    Just my opinion .
    Read ultimate Accuracy facts ( Vaughn ) concerning the benefits of alternate threaded unions

8. vlcakc

vlcakc

Cmon Guys! Lighten up! No need for personal remarks here. The question of whether to use barrel nuts or fit to a shoulder really depends on the rifle's intended use and personal preference. Neither way is necessarily right or wrong. I have rifles built both ways and although I prefer barrels fit to a shoulder, the ones with barrel nuts work just fine too. Good Shooting! Vic

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    HillBilly98 and Mark W like this.
  9. mikecr

mikecr

Nothing wrong with the barrel nut system.

NorCalMikie likes this.
  10. Flyshooter

Flyshooter

11. Flyshooter

Flyshooter

I know of one IR50/50 world record that currently exist from a "nut" attached barreled rifle.

The availability of cnc nuts for the 700 actions is in fact progress, however everyone has their opinion about that and I defend their right to have an opinion. Never the less the nut allows just about anyone who can change an alternator to change calibers or barrels quickly and safely.

Installed more then a couple zero free bore .223AI & 6BR's, those rifles will shock most shooters regarding their accuracy. Had at least one custom PPC with a custom action and the whole works......shot terrific. But the difference between that an a nut attached barreled rifle is a couple of thousand dollars and perhaps one tenth of an inch at a 100yd's......which is a mile in centerfire benchrest........but most will never shoot centerfire benchrest.

Fun to shoot small.....not much fun to argue about how to do it, no need to anyway....pick a game and shoot it chances are someone with a nut attached barrel will finish ahead of you or right behind you.......makes you think.

daleboy, Mark W, ratbuster and 3 others like this.
  12. alinwa

alinwa

"You are just talking out the side of your butt!"

Man, now there's one I hadn't heard...... might just steal it......

learnin' every day

al

NorCalMikie likes this.
  13. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Just thinking about that gave me a concussion

14. mikecr

mikecr

I don't think a barrel nut advantage was supposed to be considered as easier barrel changing. Why would Savage care at all about that? And why would they go through all the added complexity for it, when they could just shoulder barrels like everyone else?
    I believe it was put in the design for better barrel connection, as their engineering happened to be aware of.

Their floating bolt head is a sound design as well. It's real advantage is not for changing cartridges, but for better established bolt face perpendicularity.
    There are other attributes demonstrating that Savage knows how to design guns, so the mob is likely wrong in assuming otherwise.

15. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Talking out your butt is a bit lame. Now talking out your azz because your mouth knows better .........

16. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

Funny thing, I have a couple of Savages.
    Neither of them have a nut now!

17. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

Just a guess, but I suspect the barrel nut and floating bolt heads were made for ease of manufacturing (allows for looser tolerances) and assembly; not so much because they're more accurate. They're certainly accurate for factory rifles though.

hoz53 likes this.
  18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

And the floating bolt head fixes the looseness there. Then the awful trigger with the safety in the blade and weird cocking piece is to make up for the loose bolt, etc. its made for high speed mass production and is excellent at that. It just so happens to shoot way better than it should!

boltfluter, mr45man and hoz53 like this.
  19. RW

RW Gold $$ Contributor

I agree that they are not Rem 700's and I have both and I have both of the savages with and with out a barrel nut and back when they were the only left handed actions available you were very limited for a hunting rifle{ I would rather shoot a right handed bolt for most every thing else' right handed bolt left hand stock} Rem have a way better after market accessories than the Savage and I have a Savage 243 that when friends bad mouth Savages I say lay out your folding money and we will shoot!! I'm not behind them just saying they both have their place and if you are satisfied with one or the other so be it!! Kind of like a ford and a chevy thing!! RW

RDA72927 and Mark W like this.
  20. chino1969

chino1969

Phil,
    I have a Savage single shot action set up as a switch barrel rig and I have found the same as you. It is great as a basic accurate varminter and shooter but nowhere near my shouldered barrels for my other actions. The appeal of a switch barrel rig with pre-fit barrels will still get a better than factory result. You are right in your admonition to know one's wants and needs before going this route.