Barrel length

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Ranger188, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Ranger188

Ranger188 Silver $$ Contributor

Is it true that you don't want to cut more than a couple inches
    off a barrel blank to finish it?
    You don't want a 29 inch blank and cut to 23 finish length.
    Not trying to making weight or worrying about anything else.
    True or false?

2. Sniper338

Sniper338

My experience is buy the length blank for what you want. Its cheaper.... you will pay more for a 29 or 30 inch compared to a shorter if your just going to cut it down anyways...

Yes they can be cut down and work fine.

Ranger188 and bozo699 like this.
  3. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

Not true. You can cut a barrel down and everything will be fine. No problem.

Ranger188 likes this.
  4. waltkrafft

waltkrafft Gold $$ Contributor

Standard barrel blanks are often 27" to yield a 26" barrel. No problem at all cutting it off to what ever length you want.

gunsandgunsmithing and Ranger188 like this.
  5. Ranger188

I've heard that more than once. One of them damn internet BS stories.
    It would take 6-8 weeks or more for a custom (shorter) length barrel
    and can find some longer ones now at places. A couple bucks, isn't going to kill me.

WyleWD likes this.
  6. K22

K22

I Douglas Barrels installed on both of my 223 Rem Model 7's, cut to 20" length and they are both 1/2 moa rifles.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  7. Ranger188

I had a very well respected shooter here tell me they use a particular contour
    and then cut it from both ends to make weight.
    Just wanted to make sure, you hear dumb ass sh$t on other forums.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Stan Taylor and Rustytigwire like this.
  8. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

yes br guys do this all the time.

Ranger188 likes this.
  9. Homerange

Homerange

In the same pencil weight contour ?
    Lengthened from 18 1/2" or the later 20" models ?

10. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

For those with a very sensitive "touch/feel" - they may well buy a longer tube and feeling the variation in the bore dia, cut so the "choked" area will be at muzzle end.
    Maximize the bbl's dimensional quirks, if any.

I dont have anywhere near that sensitivity but have a friend that does.

11. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

If you call me at Douglas the shortest
    profile barrel we make is 23 1/2 inches to finish 22 inches or shorter an no more than a couple weeks turnaround.

Ranger188 likes this.
  12. ihmsakiwi

ihmsakiwi

I bought a 32" target grade barrel went halves with a fellow IHMSA pistol shooter and got both halves turned to same profile ( or slightly heavier) as the standard XP100 barrel and had each one chambered in 30BR. Both shot great.

Zero333 likes this.
  13. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

I think it depends on what the guy doing the barrel work is set up for with tooling. Especially on pistol length barrels. I've got one going right now that is being finished at 17.7" breech face to crown He wanted to start with a blank 22-24 " . He will be chopping about 6'.

14. Sniper338

Sniper338

I forgot to add.. i bought a barrel once and had it cut in half and two barrels made out of it for a xp100 pistol

15. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

Order your blank 1" longer than your preferred finish length.
    You must remove 1" from the muzzle end as this part of the blank will have run out.
    At the chamber end the chamber will take care of your run out.
    Steve Bair

Bc'z likes this.
  16. K22

K22

I went one contour heavier than the factory barrel which added only about a 1/2 lbs to the weight but provided a much stiffer barrel.

Also went with a 20" length to retain the "carbine" handling qualities since I use my Model 7's for stalking. With the Bell and Carlson medalist stocks these light weight rifles shoot in the 1/2 moa range.

Homerange likes this.
  17. Homerange

Homerange

Yep quite understand and I've got one in 223 that shoots surprisingly well and another in 6mm Rem that shoots well enough to take deer to medium ranges. Both are getting on now and have 18" tubes.
    They can be finicky buggers though and unless you do what you have done with yours frustrating until you find what they like to eat. ;)
    The larger calibers in Model 7 aren't much fun at the bench as a couple of buddies with 308's have found out ! :D
    Still they're a great youths and ladies rifle if their dad or partner does the sighting in. :)

18. K22

K22

Trust me - you don't want that model in a 308 unless you are immune to punishing recoil.

My rebarrel / restock Model 7's 223 Rem's shoot extremely well with tailored reloads but it was an expensive fix - Douglas match barrels and B&C metalist stocks but what the hell - it's only green paper.;)

PS: Had one of my best years ever ghog hunting last summer with the Model 7, 49 out 51. One of the ones I missed was standing at 176 yards and ducked when I shot, the other I rushed the shot at 191 yards as he was nearing the end of his feeding cycle heading back to his hole. Made a 235 yards shot off the shooting cross sticks - my longest to date with the Model 7 223 Rem. The Model 7's are my go to stalking rifles when I want roam the fields or on recon looking for new holes and scouting new fields / field I haven't hunted for a while due to crop rotation cycles.

19. Homerange

Homerange

Yes very noticeable at the bench and even with the 308 you want to sissy bag up to shoot it. Over here most anything close can be taken with 150gr loads so offhand shots aren't so bad however if you've been belted at the bench with a Model 7 your chances of placing good shots are somewhat diminished.
    Other than them being stiff recoiling in the larger calibers they're noisy little beasts too and the only rifle I've had ring my ears when firing one so I threaded both mine for cans which not only tames their noise but removes a good amount of boot too.
    The end of my days of bush crashing is drawing near so varminting has more interest for me now and punching paper with larger caliber Model 7 has lost its gloss and better accuracy than with the pencil weight barrel of a Model 7 hence the interest in what you've done with yours.
    Thanks for the chat.