Barrel fitting

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by Cloudrepair, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I had read several posts where guys seem to say that several,or at least all the ways except the one they are touting, to indicate a barrel cause the barrel to bend itself into alignment.
    Im currently at the dangerous point of my learning. I can easily see how easy it is to bend/bow a barrel by putting an indictor on it and pushing with my thumb. I however cant get my head around all the ways to do or not do it!
    I thank you for any help

2. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I'm pretty sure you do not have my setup pictured. Every time you adjust the opposite end, the barrel pivots on the copper tips. I understand that a chuck with jaws will bend one.
    Get your mind around the barrel pivoting on the copper tips against them being held in a chuck with jaws.

hoz53 likes this.
  3. Tucker65

Tucker65 Silver $$ Contributor

What's a guy do if your headstock is too wide for an outboard support? I have a nice MoriSeiki lathe but it's a little too wide for the barrels to stick out the end. Would pressing on a ring trued up to the bore and turned to slip in the headstock be fine? Or maybe clamping something on the barrel to extend it so it could reach past the spindle tube to an outboard support would be better. Any ideas from some of you that have dealt with this before would be appreciated.

4. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Silver $$ Contributor

You can make a ring or a set of rings one for muzzle end and one for the breach end
    A lot of guys do it this way on larger machines
    http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?59097-Jackie-chambering-a-Barrel-(Pictures

hoz53 likes this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Ive seen guys drill and tap the muzzle end and attach a bar that screws into the muzzle end that will be cut off anyway. Then another piece threaded internally to extend the tenon when crowning. You can make a barrel 6’ long if you want.

6. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

i thought of making a sleeve with setscrews to slide over the barrel but i wondered if the setscrews would cause bore damage. i like the drill and tap idea better i think.

7. PWS

PWS Gold $$ Contributor

How about something like Bob Pastor's (The Viper) "Chambering and Truing Fixture"?

[​IMG]

8. holstil

holstil Silver $$ Contributor

Thinking further and for clarity, when I said "mean" wobble, it is to say the gross or largest point of run out away from center of indicated points or datums. You may have understood but my friend reading this asked what I meant by it. Barrels don't just have a single arc. When you are dialed in stress free and ready to work, go to muzzle and read at muzzle and 3"in. This would be how to determine where the muzzle is really pointing. You come to the same conundrum as indicating at breach. Imagine a laser that is stuck in the muzzle coincident to the last couple inches, would it be pointing at your target? Now imagine sliding that laser through the bore, it would squirrel all over the joint as it was moving. I'm still testing things and is why I bought lathe.
    I'm not saying this is the best or the only way to do it. Lord knows there's no shortage of narcissism on the net.;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    ridgeway likes this.
  9. Cloudrepair

Cloudrepair Gold $$ Contributor

I undestood you
    Now wouldn't the length of the flat on your bullet or the soon to be engraved lenght of bullet going though barrel be as far as you need to look and if you are still within a couple tenths in that lenght mean you are good to go?

rain164845 likes this.
  10. holstil

Imo, as far as indicating and chambering, yes. I'm not opposed to Gordy's method. In fact I believe a lot of people are doing the same when using a floating reamer holder or pusher. Tooling is very good at following an existing hole.
    As far as having the barrel in the optimum position (indexing) for accuracy, not sure.
    This area is where I like reading discussions.

11. holstil

I might add that thought should be givin to the tenon, shoulder and threads as to which points you choose as datum.

Cloudrepair likes this.
  12. holstil

This could lead into things I think are so but cannot prove or may not be all together.

Fun hobby we have here.

Cloudrepair likes this.
  13. Tucker65

Tucker65 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm sure this would work but I would rather keep the actual cutting closer to the chuck for rigidity. I think I'll go with making rings that press on the OD of the barrel and see how that goes.

14. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

How do you true the inside to the outside of the barrel before you hide it in the spindle?

Cloudrepair likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You can turn it between centers

16. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Perfect excuse for buying a second lathe to dedicate to chambering ! Only partially kidding :)

Cloudrepair likes this.
  17. Cloudrepair

Cloudrepair Gold $$ Contributor

I like that even my wife understands, may not be thrilled about it but understands:)
    Now the moneyo_O

18. tac284

tac284 Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Webb 17x40 (Mori Seiki copy) and I use the True bore alignment system. Works great!

boiler_house7 likes this.
  19. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

What I have done with my rimfire barrels is made delrin bushings too a slight interference fit for the spindle. The muzzle's are all going to be cut to avoid where the lapping had been done. I knock an 1 1/2 inches right off for this. Indicate the bore of the muzzle in the chuck. Take a light chip to tru the O.D. with the bore & press the delrin on. That's when I turn the O.D. for the spindle interference fit.
    When I crown the muzzle I've already cut the chamber & tenon threads. Make another piece of delrin & thread for the tenon. Yes I've just used a tap. Thread it on to the breech, on an indicated chamber, & turn the O.D. for the spindle.
    I could turn between centers but when it came time to chamber I wasn't comfortable with what I was getting in the steady. That's why I did it this way.
    Right or wrong I've felt like I've done the best I could do & haven't lost any sleep over it. :)
    Keith

Cloudrepair likes this.
  20. WayneShaw

WayneShaw

This is the way to do XP barrels.