Barrel Contour Question

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Phil3, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Phil3

Phil3

I am looking at barrel contours and have one question. Do the dimensions shown at various barrel maker's sites, measured from the where the barrel meets the action or to the end of the threaded chamber? I want to be sure the barrel will fit my stock.

Phil

2. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Are you looking at blanks or prefits?

3. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

If you are speaking of barrel blanks (unthreaded/chambered/no crown), generally subtract 1" from the muzzle end (as it is cut off straight away). What is left after machining is the finished barrel ready to thread into your action. Barrel length includes the threaded portion, about an inch or less.
    Opening up a barrel channel is not a big deal if you are looking for a heavier tube.

4. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

Call Stan at Douglas barrels an tell him what you are trying to fit to he could probably guide you in the right direction.

KMart likes this.
  5. Phil3

Phil3

Blanks. Looks to me that the breech end is left alone, except for threading and the muzzle end is cut to length. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Phil

6. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

When you buy a blank, you can cut it where ever you like. It is entirely up to the user.

RGRobinett likes this.
  7. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Gold $$ Contributor

Why is 1" cut off the muzzle end?

8. JMayo

JMayo

I was under the impression barrels were slugged and the end was cut at the tightest spot then action fitted ...

9. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

As Boyd said, you can cut a blank wherever you want/need to.

The reason the muzzle gets cut is that it tends to bell out where the lap is reversed in the bore.

RGRobinett and savagedasher like this.