Availabla 223 comp bullets in the 77-82 grain

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by butchlambert, Jan 7, 2018.

1. M.Stilley

M.Stilley

The mathematical difference between a 2MOA shooter with a .5MOA rifle/ammo versus a 2MOA shooter with a 1MOA rifle/ammo are negligible - smaller than SR sight adjustments and smaller than the best wind reader's capability.

In SR it's all about the shooter, not the rifle or ammo.

swehrman likes this.
  2. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

A slingshot and a rock?

3. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

If the slingshot is one issued to the US military at some point in history, then sure, bring it on.

So, what weight rock do you use and do you vary the weight according to the distance?
    What is the G7 BC on your rock?
    How do you handle the rapid-slinging parts?
    Do you have a bag (magazine) attached to the slingshot?
    Do they allow high capacity bags?
    Do you have an aftermarket rubber band of the slingshot and if so what tension is it?
    Do you favor a stiffer band or a longer draw? I've heard arguments on both sides.
    Where do you mount the 4.5X slingscope? Do you use a 1800MOA ramp for the 600 yard course?

So many questions.
    Do you have pictures of your NM SlingShot that you can share?

js2013 and gstaylorg like this.
  4. people

people

Now that scopes can be used the x count is more. It is still a position shooting game. If you can easily load ammo 1MOA or less just run it until you are shooting scores that warrant something better. I mainly use SMK bullets as I can load 800 to 1,000 rds and have them still shoot well with barrel wear.

When just starting out just getting out and shooting is much more important than getting the last little bit of accuracy from your loads.

I do not know if it is still true but the AMU was buying blackhills ammo for service rifle comp.

5. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Lets not forget that a very large portion of Service Rifle shooters are CHEAP! Meaning that they will lay on for 1000 to 2000 bullets for the 600yd line and most likely get the Good Enough bullet.. Like the 80gr SMK, The Hornady 80gr, The Nosler 80's. Bulk Packs. Then there are the few shooters who are trying to buy points with the 90gr and 6.5 Twist barrels and any Gimmick they can get only to be beaten by some one with talent shooting Factory ammo at 200 and 300yds and 80gr SMK's at 600yds.
    ( no disrespect to the 90gr crowd)

milanuk and Dgd6mm like this.
  6. m1jeff

m1jeff

The AMU contracted Atlanta Arms and then Black Hills to load their short line ammo to their specs. 77 Sierras, LC brass, but other than that I have no idea on components. At least as of a few years ago.

The Marine Corps also uses 77 Sierras, although moly coated. WCC brass.

7. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I didn't think WCC brass was available for many years.

8. m1jeff

m1jeff

They are still using 06 and 07 headstamped ammo.