Athlon ares??

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by 300_whisper, Sep 8, 2017.

1. 300_whisper

300_whisper Silver $$ Contributor

Gents just got two Athlon ares. Any feedback on these scopes? First impressions? I've read great reviews and saw YouTube videos about their tracking and glass. I have two Argos BTRs and was thoroughly impressed so I stepped it up for my two full customs rifles, .260 Rem and .338 Lapua. Just excited sitting and waiting for them in the mail.

Also, their staff is great. I've worked with a dealer on this site who's provided tons of help and assistance with picking the right scope. Im a veteran, so they took extra steps setting me up with scopes. I really appreciated their service. I hope the scopes are as good as their customer service. I might eventually get a Cronus for my .338 and bump one ares to another rifle. Sorry for rambling just excited to get these Scopes.

2. Clucknmoan

Clucknmoan Silver $$ Contributor

Initial impressions, I've shot a couple hundred rounds through one so not a ton.

Glass clarity is good, great for the price point IMO, plenty good for a hunting scope. Zero stop works every well. Love the reticle illumination and reticle overall, but I wish it was thinner. Paralax adjustment leaves something to be desired, mine isn't close to the yardage printed on the dial.

Seems to track spot on. Tall target tests show very little variation in expected vs actual POI shift. Runs a box just fine.

For the price point I am happy with them for a hunting rig. I have the Cronus BTR's on target rifles and I really like them.

300_whisper likes this.
  3. 300_whisper

I ordered the Cronus for my .338. The two ares are going on my .308 and .260. I'm waiting on the Cronus to come in the mail. Pretty excited. Initial impressions Unboxing the ares are great. It's a solid scope. Hefty, clicks are loud, tactile, and the glass is very clear. I can't wait to get them mounted and ready to shoot.

4. Texas10

Texas10 Silver $$ Contributor

Walmart advertised the Athlon Helos 8-34X56 for $398 so I ordered one. I was sent a Argos instead that normally sells for $398. They claimed the ad was a typo. I sent it back.

A friend did pay the $599 price for the Helos at Optics Planet and I mounted it on his 6mmBR. It's an FFP and at max power the reticle is way big for target shooting. But the clarity is decent, about like a $600 Vortex Viper HST.

If that price is a bit steep, I bought an Explore Optics 10-36X50 that is just as clear at 300 yds. Turrets are big, tactical style and lockable, Scope is heavy too. $400 dollars at a gun show.

5. 300_whisper

I got my Athlon ares in the mail and super impressed. Can't wait to get them up and shooting.

I also got the Cronus and, holy crap, what a scope. That's going on my .338 Lapua.

I need to get out and shoot them for tracking and glass considerations in field conditions. But my first impressions are they are solidly built scopes.