Athlon Ares ETR Reviews?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Send One, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Send One

Send One

I recently purchased a Savage Stelath Evolution to hopefully shoot some some PRS type matches. Looking for a good scope in the $1,000-1,200.00 range to complete the setup. The XTR II is one of my options so far. Anyone have any feedback on the new Ares ETR from Athlon? It looks to have a ton of good options for the money.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

2. JHBearbait

JHBearbait

Athlon told me it won't even be out until July.

3. Larryh128

Larryh128

I have a pair of the Ares BTR's. One is on a 338 Lapua, the other on a Creed. Both are MOA reticles. I REALLY like them, good clarity in the glass, good adjustments, nice scope especially for the $$. I've paid a lot more for a lot less.

nmkid likes this.
  4. Send One

Send One

Thanks LarryH, I appreciate the feedback. So far, I have heard nothing but good things about Athlon in general.

5. steve123

steve123

The ETR isn't out yet.

I played with the preproduction versions at SHOT, they were PST2 killers!

6. Send One

Send One

They have a lot of great options for the coin. I like the reticle as well

7. flatlander

flatlander

I've got a couple of the mil versions of the 34mm ETRs on order - no idea if I pre-ordered early enough to snag one of the first shipments of these scopes or not. I ordered one black & one brown, and am looking forward to comparing them to the Cronus BTRs.

8. Send One

Send One

The Cronus is an great scope, I too am curious how the ETR will stack up. Thinking about pre-ordering one myself

9. Anthony Schleusner

Anthony Schleusner Silver $$ Contributor

Did anyone get there hands on one of these? I played with the Midas tac and really liked it but holding out to see what the reviews are on these. These check a lot of boxes for me with the amount of elevation, reticle, turret upgrade and new reticle. Any updates are greatly appreciated!

10. Clucknmoan

Clucknmoan Silver $$ Contributor

They are still at least a week out.

11. andrewsben

andrewsben Silver $$ Contributor

I have some btrs. the etr is definitely peaking my interest. can't wait to see reviews coming in. Have a buddy who put in an early pre-order. Maybe I can talk him into letting me play with it soon.

12. pre64win

pre64win

What is the difference in a BTR and ETR?

13. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

I just ordered 24 Athlons today from bottom of the line to the top of the line. I've been hearing nothing but great reviews from customers that already own them, so I figured we need to stock a few. We'll let you know in a few days how they work out. Oh I almost forgot 3 different ones (can't ember which ones) are on a back order but was told we'll have them in about 2 weeks. My sales rep Jason L. was great to deal with!

Darrin

14. Clucknmoan

ETR is a 34mm tube, thinner reticle, taller turrets and a step up in glass.

15. Clucknmoan

Little different reticle as well, open center with a dot.

16. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I just wrung out my recently purchased BTR and I am well pleased with it. Good glass and it responds to single clicks! New rifle upcoming just might be a good victim for the ETR.

17. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

I have the argos BTR and i tracks great dead on with my ballistics calculator. Hold zero great. Down side is the glass i think it loses clarity above 24×. Now the argos line is only 400 dollars in the 8-34×56 model i have so actually great for a cheap scope. I am interested in trying one of their higher end scopes.

Do the higher end keep clarity at high magnification? How us eye relief at high magnification, mine is very finicky.

Has anyone used the helos btr 8-34×56 i cant see it being that much of a upgrade over my argos. None of their top price scopes go above 30×.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  18. NZVarminter

NZVarminter

I've had an Ares BTR and currently have a PST...no comparison. The PST glass much better, turrets are much better.

...but Zeiss V4 glass is better again although SFP.

I''ve had a play with FFP but just does not work for me. Reticle is way to fine at low power which is worsened by my astigmatism.

19. flatlander

flatlander

I received a brown ETR out of the 1st shipment, and got the black one out of the 2nd shipment a few weeks later. I mounted the brown scope on a 40XB 22RF repeater and took it out to my 100yd smallbore range to zero it at 50yds. Shot it side-by-side with the V-22 which has a Cronus BTR mounted. My perception is that there's not a lot of difference in optical quality between the two when both are set at 25x, which is saying quite a bit, since the Cronus has very good glass. The ETR tracked perfectly, and I had no issues with it. The zero stop was easy to set, and the turret clicks are very distinct.

A couple of weeks later, I took the ETR off the 40XB & moved it over to a custom M700 in 7-08 Improved 30* and did some shooting with it at 600yds, again, along side a Bighorn TL2 in 6 Dasher with a Cronus mounted. This particular day, there was a fairly heavy overcast, so the lighting wasn't particularly good - but the ETR compared favorably in brightness & clarity to the Cronus. This 7-08 is a good shooter, and it shot very well with the ETR.

I still need to do tall target & box test with this scope; just haven't had the time to spare to accomplish this, and might not get it done until after fall corn harvest is done. But at least to this point in time, there have been no problems with the new Ares ETR; I think Athlon will sell a ton of these scopes.