Article about 2019 Long Range World Championship and Palma Team Match

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Erud, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

2. TZaun

TZaun Gold $$ Contributor

Nice write-up Erik. It was fun following you guys over there.

Erud likes this.
  3. clowdis

clowdis

One of the best writeups I've seen. Good job Eric!

Erud likes this.
  4. mgunderson

mgunderson sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Nice report. Not the normal self deprecating humor. I guess when you write up an international competition you stick to the facts.

Erud likes this.
  5. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Good job Erik! Thanks!

Erud likes this.
  6. J Fogg

J Fogg

Really enjoyed that, nicely done

Erud likes this.
  7. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks guys. If you enjoyed the article, please consider subscribing to the website. It doesn’t cost anything, and you’ll get notified when there’s new content. It’s my wife's site, and she puts a ton of work into keeping people informed about what’s going on in the shooting sports, primarily HP and F-class.

8. David101

David101

Really well written up and very informative for both shooters and probably no shooters. Read every word.

Erud likes this.
  9. Brady W

Brady W

Nice job Erik. Thanks. And Mia has an awesome site.
    Brady

Erud likes this.
  10. M14AMU

M14AMU

And as usual....the USA team got its azz kicked at the 1000 yard line! Still haven't learned how to team fire!!

11. corning

corning

Sigh...If you can't say something good, is it really worth saying? A dedicated bunch of US shooters travel halfway around the world, receive a bronze medal in the team matches, and deserve credit for their accomplishment against some pretty stiff competition.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Rocketvapor and Highpower-FClass like this.
  12. M14AMU

M14AMU

Yes...it's worth saying! If you'd followed this game as long as I have and seen the same old thing happen quite frequently....you should be pissed off also! If not...you're part of the problem!!

13. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

I’m pretty sure he’s not part of the problem. Sorry we let you down, do you have some suggestions for 2023? Also, maybe you could tell us who you are?

kohai133 likes this.
  14. swc123

swc123

Respectfully, some suggestions for 2023, shoot all the upcoming South African championships on the Bloemfontein range.
    Learn from what the Aussie did at Trentham.

15. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

That is a pleasant and informative read.

Read is about all I could do with that. I could barely afford the blue jacket and light pants let alone the flight, living and shooting expenses of a trip like that. It is nice to read how the "better half" can live. Good to know so many can do those things.

16. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

"Better half", seriously? All kinds of people were on this team. How much do you think a 26-year-old US Army sergeant makes? Historically, the Palma match tour expenses have been funded by the NRA. This time they were not, and I can promise you that it was a hardship for many team members, and some were not able to make the trip at all. Some raised funds by other means, and of course some were in a position where the cost of the trip wasn't a concern. All walks of life. Personally, I've been putting money away for this trip for years; since I first thought there was a possibility that I could make the team. Not because I'm rich, but because it was important to me. If I didn't have the money put aside, I would have put it on a credit card and figured it out later. For some team members it was undoubtedly a once in a lifetime trip, it cost what it cost. For reference, my blue jacket cost $10 on clearance at Kohl’s, and I already had the gray pants in my closet.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  17. corning

corning

There was a pretty strong contingent of US shooter in NZ in 2018, including the coach.

18. corning

corning

I've been in the long range/Palma "game" for over 20 years. I competed in XTC from before that. If you want to include my time as a junior shooter, I started shooting/competing in 1966 at the age of 12. My experience includes shooting in various disciplines of smallbore rifle, pistol, and high power rifle. Yes, I have been in this "game" for a long time. Yes, I have seen the successes and disappointment of the Palma teams. I've also had the privilege of the friendship of Palma team members, both coaches and shooters. They do their best, considering the geographic diversity of the shooters in the US, and the commitment involved in being on the team.

Have I shot on a Pama team? No. Would I have liked to? Yes, but the timing was never there for me to do so, and I do not shoot consistently enough to be on the team.

The US Palma team members make a huge time and financial commitment to the sport. They don't deserve anonymous criticism.

John Corning

Aero and Erud like this.
  19. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

I doubt the Aussies will let us know their secret sauce :)