Are Remington 700 Barrels Button or Hammer Forged

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by brianc74, Apr 10, 2019.

1. brianc74

brianc74

So. What about Tikka T3 barrels? What are they? Why are they a bit slower in velocity? Will threading the muzzle for a muzzlebreak decrease accuracy?

2. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

Frank, I agree with your theories.

That being said, there are sure a LOT of records set and reset with buttoned barrels, so it IS a workable solution to the dilemma of "how to make a twisty-tube".

I choose to use cut barrels because I feel they are the best "SURE" way to get a good tube, and because I feel that they are more stable as they heat up in rapid fire, but I do have at least one KILLER buttoned tube.

-Nate

shooter65, FrankG and msinc like this.
  3. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

It MAY.

4. 243winxb

243winxb

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    300_whisper likes this.
  5. JimT

JimT “I don’t even own a piece of camo!”-Kenny Jarrett Gold $$ Contributor

Hammer forged, as are Sako,Styer and many others.

msinc likes this.
  6. msinc

msinc

Yes it may, but to go one step further I will say this; it is more likely what you attach to that rifling will do more to the accuracy than the thread itself.

Yes, I agree and as Frank has pointed out I am well aware of the doctrine that a single point cut rifled barrel has, or at least in theory has, no stress imparted as a result of the rifling being added. All that said, the best shooting #1 contour mountain rifle barrel a have is in fact a buttoned pipe. Some manufacturers of button rifling wont even make a barrel this thin but this one sure works and aside from shooting fantastic it does not walk either. Now, I don't exactly shoot it what you might call fast, but it has been heated up a few times.
    I will say this, in 40 years of barreling and shooting, buying and selling and building custom guns for both myself and others when it comes to barrels and rifling I have tried them all.

7. FrankG

FrankG

Nate, Agree. Button barrels as well as other forms of barrel making can make a good barrel and win matches.

It's the consistency from barrel to barrel that is important.

338 Mollett, MrMajestic and JBT like this.
  8. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

Remington uses buttoned barrels on their 783 line. They added a big automated button line in AL. I know the engineer that set it up. They wanted to get the 700 to shoot as well as the 783. I know some other stuff but NDA's are in force.

From Remington's website.

Also helping deliver those inherently tight groups is a precision button-rifled barrel. For shot control, it's equipped with the crisp new CrossFire™ trigger system that's user adjustable to suit your preferences.

shooter65, dstoenner and JBT like this.
  9. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

They may indeed be as accurate but if a button rifler (collectively all of them) can’t figure out how to not distort the outside of the barrel with unsightly waves, then the rifling method is not on equal footing. Appearance matters. No one wants to look down the side of a fine car and see “orange peel” paint. Bluing of “trophy” rifles just exacerbates the problem.

10. FrankG

FrankG

Yes it will.

11. FrankG

FrankG

Velocity can be effected by what chamber reamer/spec. was used and actual bore and groove sizes of the barrel. Some gun manufactures use what is called a production reamer. Usually they are a little looser size wise. Even if they cut the chambers with a cnc machine they could be making the chamber to a modified/production spec.

Bc'z likes this.
  12. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

I can't remember the name of the company but didn't Remington buy out a barrel manufacturer in Montana a few years back also?

I talked to a Remington tech on the phone awhile back and as Dave mentioned, they told me the 783 barrels were all buttoned, which everyone seems to agree on, and the 700 barrels were hammer forged, but I've also had people tell me the 700's have buttoned barrels also, so are the barrels on the 700's hammer forged or buttoned, or do they use both on the 700 depending on which model it is???

I've watched a video of the hammer forging style of barrel making and, WOW, that sure looks like a violent process and I can certainly see why that style of barrel making would induce more stress in the barrel.

Frank, this is a question you'll likely know the answer to better than most, of the different buttoned barrel manufacturers out there, including the factory made guns/barrels, besides Hart, do you know of any others that push the button versus pulling it through the barrel and what would be the benefit of one over the other?

13. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Silver $$ Contributor

14. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Silver $$ Contributor

They did but only lasted a couple years and moved to Alabama I believe. They've been gone now 4 or 5 years

15. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

I've been told they moved the barrel making equipment that was used in the custom shop to North Dakota. The problem was nobody knew how to use it.

swd and shooter65 like this.
  16. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I believe Douglas push buttons their barrels.

SPJ likes this.
  17. Macropod

Macropod

If their barrels are so bad on some rifles I doubt anyone would want to learn their secrets of 'superior' barrel making...

msinc and boltfluter like this.
  18. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

From the Remington website screenshot above:

"Our hammer forged barrels start with cylindrical metal which is hammered around the mandrill....." (emphasis added)

Don't you just love the combination of Auto-Correct and poor editing? I laughed myself sick on this one. If one hammers cylindrical steel around a mandrill, one ends up with a really pissed-off monkey on one's hands!

This is a mandrill . . . upload_2019-4-13_19-54-51.jpeg

This is a MANDREL . . .[​IMG]

Anyway, I thought it was funny.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  19. Steve Blair

Steve Blair

We must be kind to the homophonically challenged. They have only a passing familiarity with written language. Besides, they are legion and form mobs.

20. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

FN also hammer forges their barrels