Arbor Presses--Are They All the Same?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by LawDog, Jan 1, 2005.

1. LawDog

LawDog

I've got a 6ppc mentor friend who's convinced me to try Wilson dies for the new 6br that's on the way. I think he uses a Sinclair. I see that Harrell's has one and K&M makes one you can stick a gauge on.

Are these all pretty much interchangeable so I should just price shop? Any reason not to use an Arbor and Wilson dies when reloading for 6mm BR, standard case, with 105 Scenars. I've got Reddings for all my other rifle calibers.

2. Sandy

Sandy

Sinclair used,& I imagine still do) offer a "kit" where you could get one of their arbor presses and a set of Wilson dies at a price that would, prima facie, save you a few bucks.

Regards,

Sandy.

3. windborne11

windborne11

i just bought and rcd a 1 ton arbour press over ebay. $27.00 new
    and works great. The shipping was more than the press was. I'm using wilson seater and there is just enough room for it.

4. Richard Jones

Richard Jones just glad to be here

Try a flea market for an old "strap on" type drill press base. You can get it for about little or nothing. Very little modification needed to use as a press. IIRC, the only thing I did was to move the spring,pictured at the bottom of the ram here) from the top. I think I may have added a washer or two, but nothing much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been using mine for quite a few years now. The crows and 'hogs don't know it's not a name brand............

Rich

5. 6BRLongRange

6BRLongRange Silver $$ Contributor

E-mail Victor Johnson @http://www.johnsonprecision.net/ he had a used arbor press for sale the last time I talked to him. Tim

6. green3845

green3845

Doug Giraud's Arbor Press is a work of art, as are all of his products. I've used mine for nearly 4 years and love it.
    Giraud Tool

[​IMG]

7. M700

M700

[​IMG]

I use the Hart arbor press and Wilson dies with my .308 Palma rifle and my .25-06 varmint/deer rifle.

You 6mmBR guys have got me saving for a new 6mm barrel for my match rifle and a set of Wilsons to go along with it... Guy

8. JamesnTN

JamesnTN

If you like, I can quote you a K&M press and wilson dies as I'm a dealer for both manufacturers. Just e-mail me at. reloadersnest@msn.com

9. gmorris

gmorris Gold $$ Contributor

I like Neil jones arbor press and powder measure

10. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

11. gmorris

gmorris Gold $$ Contributor

Pretty old thx

12. savagedasher

savagedasher

There is one for sale on here

13. milanuk