AR-Comp vs Varget

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Delaware_Ken, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Delaware_Ken

Delaware_Ken Site $$ Contributor

Good Morning,

I've been wanting to try the new AR-Comp powder in my 223. I've done a lot of searching, but I can't find any data on how it compares to a similar load of Varget.

I know that I can always back off my Varget load, and then work my way up. But, I was wondering if anyone had done any load development with the new powder to possibly save me a little time and powder to get me started.

Thanks in advance for any help, Ken

2. necchi

necchi Site $$ Contributor

Using another persons load in your gun can lead to trouble, and sometimes pretty quick. With all your research did you happen across Alliants load data?
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=35&cartridge=46

3. dfry

dfry

I have just started testing AR Comp in the 6 WOA. As listed above, Alliant has 223 load data. From general appearance, AR Comp max loads seem to run a couple grains under RL15 and this is somewhat consistent with what I am seeing. the new AR Comp is technically suppose to be a reworking of RL15 that has been made more temp. insensitive. But in adding the retardant, it as reportedly become more along the speed of Varget than RL15, but realize it is not Varget. Drop down as usual from Alliant's max loads and work up. A quick ladder test should get you to where you want to be in a relatively short amount of time. Dave

4. Delaware_Ken

Delaware_Ken Site $$ Contributor

necchi,

I did check out the Alliant site, but I didn't see any loads for the 90 gr Berger's that I'm shooting. I was just hoping that someone had given it a try before I started my load development. I would definitely start low, and work up.

dfry,

I have also read that it is hotter than RL15, and pretty close to Varget. Again, I was just hoping to find some one who had shot similar loads of Varget and AR Comp to see how they compared. That way I could at least be in the ball park before I did the ladder test.

Thanks for the info, Ken

5. bulldog284

bulldog284

delaware ken

i myself am very interested in the ar com with the 223 and the 90s i have some on order please keep me posted with your results thanks
    Darin

6. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Just curious if anyone has new info.. interested in this powder.. for .223 and the heavies

7. lloydx2

lloydx2

Dave your right on the money, Its not varget. Does not have the loading density that re15 and varget have But seems to produce good vel without pressure. So start low and work up.

8. dfry

dfry

I did some testing with AR-Comp in the 6 RAT, about 1.4 grs less than Varget seems about perfect and gives me better velocity with less pressure over Varget. Not to mention this lot of Varget takes at least a 1/2 gr. more powder to get me to the same velocities. Not a volume problem in the RAT but in the 6 WOA I am right at the point of being out of room behind the 107SMK. dave

9. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

I am thinking about trying this powder with the 90's in .223

10. KMart

KMart Site $$ Contributor

My AR-Comp came in the other day. An interesting note on the side of the bottle was "made in Sweden". The early reports this powder said the burn rate was somewhere between Varget and RL-15. By coincidence VV N-140 and N540 both fit in that burn rate....just wondering.

11. liltank

liltank

I have found AR Comp to be closer to 4895 in burn rate. I can't even come close to the powder charges in my .308 Win. that I can get with RL15 or Varget. My load with RL15 is 43 and 45 grains. My accuracy load w/ AR Comp is 42.8grn and that is near max. Max is 43.5.

Tank

12. jscandale

jscandale

I have been doing some load development with the 6mm WOA Improved using RL15, N540, and AR comp. It seems that AR comp and RL15 have a relationship that is similar to N540 and N140. I backed off 5% from my RL15 charge and worked up. The velocity is impressive and the claim is no temperature sensitivity. So far, I'm a fan of AR Comp.
    30.0 grains of RL15 gave me 2860, I'm betting that 29.5 of AR Comp will push the velocity over the 2900 mark. I'll know this week.

JS

13. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Well not having tried it yet.. after talking to a few shooters, I am deff getting the impression that this powder may well indeed be something I will need to try in my new project rifle.. I am hearing that it is not really all that temp sensetive, but you have to remember, all powders to have some sensetivity to temp differences. Just saying that I am hearing that it is more stable than say RL15 is.. and being very easy powder to get a accurate load with as well.. So I will have to get an order in for some. And it looks like if all goes correctly, one 8Lb jug of it will last the life of the barrel. The barrel should last me two seasons.. depends on how much I shoot it.. may only last one season if I truly love it like I think I am going to.

14. sbhooper

sbhooper

I use Varget in my Rem model 600 .308. It looks like this powder may be worth trying. The rifle will shoot sub-minute with 45 grains of Varget @ 2557 fps from the 18 1/2 inch barrel. I would be interesting to see if I could wring a bit more velocity out of it.

15. bulldog284

bulldog284

has anyone tryed ar comp with the 185grain bullets in a 308 case?

16. liltank

liltank

Nope, but would be interested in hearing the outcome.

Tank

17. kombayotch

kombayotch

I've been testing it with the 190 SMK in my 308. 40.7 gr. gives me the same velocity as my goto 42.9 gr. Varget load. AR Comp gives less vertical deviation though. I'm getting lower SD with it than with Varget across the board, in my 303 Brit as well.

18. liltank

liltank

What's your velocity?

19. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Site $$ Contributor

Just for the heck of it,couldnt someone call the manufacturer and see what their techs say about using ar-comp with the 90 grain bullet?

20. kombayotch

kombayotch

2530 fps. in 308 Win

I loaded it into some .223 Rem this weekend and the velocities were substantially lower than what Alliant lists. 2622 fps for 22.1 gr. with a 77 SMK and 2824 fps. for 23.2 gr. with a 70 VLD out of my 24" barrel.