Applied Ballistics Seminar

Discussion in 'Practical Precision--PRS, NRL, ELR' started by bsl135, Nov 30, 2015.

1. bsl135

bsl135 Site $$ Sponsor

Hey guys,

I've enjoyed presenting small ballistics classes at various venues and have decided to take it to the next level.

In spring 2016 I'll be presenting a 2-day ballistics class at the Kettunen conference/hotel center in Tustin Michigan.

You can read further details at the official seminar webpage here:
    http://appliedballisticsllc.com/ballistics-resources/abseminar2016/

For anyone interested in a deeper understanding of external ballistics as it applies to all long range shooting disciplines, this 2-day seminar is for you. The goal is that each person leaves with an expert understanding of the fundamental science, as well as how to apply it in the field.

Each day we'll have formal instruction blocks in the morning and afternoon with informal break-out sessions on different topics in the evening. The Kettunen center is a full service facility with meals and lodging on site.

Hope to see you there,
    -Bryan

2. Trevor60

Trevor60

can you let us know what type of audience the seminar is geared towards. new, intermittent or advanced. 3-4 of us are looking at attending but are not sure of how ind-depth the material will be on any one subject.

Thank you
    Trevor

P.S.

It is winter here and we want to get out of the house. ;D

3. bsl135

bsl135 Site $$ Sponsor

Trevor,

The audience will determine the level of presentation. I'm anticipating intermediate thru advanced discussion given those attending the seminar will be committed enough to incur the time and expense of attending a 2-day seminar.

If you've ever attended any of my short classes in the past like those at the Berger Southwest Nationals or SHOT show, it will go pretty much like that. It's a structured program but questions take priority over the planned content so we end up addressing those aspects of the topics most interesting to the shooters.

I'll be publishing a more detailed curriculum on the official event page (http://appliedballisticsllc.com/ballistics-resources/abseminar2016/ ) in the coming weeks. Till then, feel free to ask any clarifying questions about what to expect. I realize it's a substantial time, money and travel commitment and will do what I can to clarify expectations. My overall objective is to satisfy those with a desire for ballistics knowledge, both beginning and advanced.

-Bryan

4. normmatzen

normmatzen Gold $$ Contributor

Brian,
    Any chance you may be repeating this class again on the west coast?

5. SteveOak

SteveOak

Looks like a very interesting conference Bryan.

6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Brian,

Sounds like a very interesting seminar. How many people need to sign up for this to happen?

Regards, Paul

www.boltfluting.com

7. Trevor60

Trevor60

Hi Bryan and thanks for the explanation we debated the level in which you would be discussing each topic and the price point did come up with cost pushing the seminar into more advanced territory.

If the attendees were primarily TR and F class shooters and 1000 yards was the norm them my expectations (my expectations) would be for the seminar to get me to the next level of shooting. no more 5th or 3rd and train wrecks knocking me down into the 20's slots.

Trajectory Basics – zeroing, point blank range, danger space, incline shooting…
    High level overview of the key points your target audience 1000yrd F class and sling shooters should know how to zero and or the other facets listed for shooting.

Wind – Mechanism of wind deflection, reading the wind, wind shooting strategies, wind sensing equipment…images (1)
    Wind would be my primary focus and wind shooting strategies at the top of my list. when and how to apply safe side shooting (upwind or down wind), when is point management the right course of action. (this seems easier as the sure give away is when everyone is laughing about shooting 7's 8's worrying about the x ring is not the focus, preserving points and staying on the board is). How to better bracket the wind through single string or with the worlds in Canada having those 2 precious sighters. As you have won several events i would hope that it wasn't your enormous brain that got you there but a more formulaic thought process that allowed you to recognize conditions and capitalize on patterns or cue's that you were able to adapt.

Secondary effects – Spin drift, Coriolis, aerodynamic jump…
    As i would like to attempt 2,000+ yards one day this would interest me and my lack of shooting any distance over 1,200yards would make this my 2nd topic of choice.

Bullet drag modeling/Ballistic Coefficient – Definitions, testing, use…
    Clarifying topics of which is already presented in your books would give me the most benefit. This could be segmented into two sub groups what is theoretical and what is practical. Would i be able notice a real world difference in BC or how the drag models apply to me etc.

Bullet stability – Basic gyroscopic stability, transonic stability, limit cycle yaw…
    see my 2,000 yard post this would be interesting and while well documented in your book if you could again break down what is theoretical and what is practical. would i really see a difference between 10 twist and 9 twist in 30cal, and at what yardage. could i over come the slower twist with more speed and how much speed would i need etc

Ballistic solvers – How they work, best practices, demos…
    I know JBM so anything beyond that would be net new material (talk slowly :D :D :D)

Weapon Employment Zone (WEZ) analysis – How to determine and improve hit percentage.
    unknown.. Known distance shooting reduces the hit probability issue... but could benefit my quest for 2,000 yards and help me instead of just slinging lead down range.

State of the art in optics and laser technology
    unknown; but optics such as spotting scopes and clarity ED or Fluorite glass, to see mirage or fine details (theory vs practical) again to get me to the next level. I own a March and Nightforce but a konus spotter. Laser never used them.

hope this gives some insight into what I would benefit from.

I am not expecting you to answer each one of these topic here but if this is the general or specific direction of the seminar i will try my best to convince the other guys and me to reserve our spots.

Thanks
    Trevor

8. bsl135

bsl135 Site $$ Sponsor

This will be our first attempt at running a seminar so we'll be learning a lot and open to suggestions. The venues for future seminars may be decided by taking a poll and seeing where (geographically) the most interest is.

-Bryan

9. bsl135

bsl135 Site $$ Sponsor

We'd like to see a minimum of 20.

10. bsl135

bsl135 Site $$ Sponsor

Trevor,

I'm sure much of what you're talking about will be covered; especially if you ask :) They're good questions and areas where I'm sure we'll spend some time.

The focus will be fundamental ballistics that applies across the board, regardless of what your shooting discipline is (F-class, Hunting, etc.). We'll use examples from different disciplines to illustrate points, and spend some time talking about applications in specific disciplines.

If we have 90% F-class and prone shooters then we'll naturally be using examples mostly from that discipline. Likewise if the majority are hunters. In reality I anticipate an even mix of disciplines as they all care about the same fundamental elements of ballistics.

There's a short questionnaire sent to those registering which is intended for us to gauge which disciplines are being represented. When we get a little further down the road we may share some of this info if people want to know prior to signing up (of course keeping individuals names out).

-Bryan

11. jason h

jason h

Excuse my ignorance but, what month/date will this be taking place?

12. DocUSMCRetired

DocUSMCRetired

29Feb2016 - 01Mar2016

13. jlow

jlow

I signed up for this last month. Can we assume that this is on?

14. DocUSMCRetired

DocUSMCRetired

Yes, we have enough for this to happen.

15. jlow

jlow

Sweet! Thanks!

16. DocUSMCRetired

DocUSMCRetired

I just wanted to update everyone. The Seminar is now SOLD OUT! See you guys there!

If you wish to be put on the waiting list, please email Jennifer and request to be added.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  17. lucho

lucho

I attended Bryan's first seminar in Michigan. It was fantastic. I would highly recommend it to any long range shooter interested in external ballistics and the science behind long range shooting.

Don't be afraid of getting in over your head. Bryan and all the presenters explains the material in very understandable terms.

Luis B