Aoudad Hunt

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by FTRinTexas, Dec 6, 2017.

1. FTRinTexas

FTRinTexas

Couple of weeks back, I got the opportunity to hunt the Longfellow Ranch in Southwest Texas. The ranch is over 330,000 acres of low fence cattle ranch. After spotting and stalking several groups, I got this one. Each horn measures slightly over 30" in length. Weight close to 325 pounds.
    Use my re-barreled Remington Sendero in 300 WM with H1000, 212g Hornady ELD-X pushing close to 3000f/s.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    mikeinct, Roe, Mr. Ten-X and 6 others like this.
  2. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Excellent animal! I have shot a few Aoudad and 1 was 28">>>But that 30"er was elusive for me! Great hunt and great trophy! Great going!!

3. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

Congrats on a successful hunt! An Aoudad hunt is on my to do list.

4. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Nice sheep. Just on my mind after giving my wife the name to use in a scrabble contest she was in.

330,000 acre private game farm is quite large. There are smaller countries and counties.

5. Huntschool

Huntschool Silver $$ Contributor

Longfellow is some chunk of property. Plus 300,000 low fenced is free ranging animals...... Nice going , and 30's make it even better. WOW

6. Bigguy1951

Bigguy1951

Hunted cow elk there the end of September/first of October. Horribly wet the whole time. Still had a great time. Very nice Aoudad you got.

7. Mr. Ten-X

Mr. Ten-X

Nice critter!

Many years back, I was given a free hunt from Bear Archery for being salesman of the year. My target was aoudad on the Y-O Ranch. Had a string of them walking single file and positioned myself perfectly for a 20 yd shot...or so I thought. Though I was hiding behind some low brush and mere seconds away from drawing, a Sika behind me announced my presence and all I heard were the thunder of hooves. Man, those things are spooky and they will skedaddle in a hurry.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. Olspark

Olspark Silver $$ Contributor

Nice one for sure. An aoudad is on my bucket list also.

9. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Very nice! How was bullet performance with that 212 (obviously you got the animal)...just wondering if you recovered the bullet or if it exited and the extent of the damage?

10. Roe

Roe

Congratulations, heavy goat!

11. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I forgot to ask>>>>I can't see in the picture, How long are the chaps on that old fellow?

12. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

Nice Aoudad.....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. rcparker1

rcparker1 Silver $$ Contributor

Nice animal. We just got back from New Mexico hunting in the gaudalupe mountains. Roughest hunt I've ever had. Auodads are a great hunt.