Anything to the earths orbit pulling bullets

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by muleman69, Jan 3, 2018.

1. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Was talking to a guy not long ago that had mentioned the earths orbit affecting a bullet? Guess I am way behind the times but if there is something to it I would like to no more about it?

2. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

It's called the Coriolis affect. I (stepping out on a ledge, here) believe it's affects are only seen in long range shooting. I.E. artillary shots at 20 miles.

3. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

Might you be referring to the coriolis effect?

"When talking about ballistics, the Coriolis Effect refers to the deflection on the trajectory of the bullet generated by the spinning motion of the Earth. Its effect is negligible at medium distances, but becomes important around 1000yds and beyond, especially because it can add to other minimal errors and keep you off target.

Coriolis effect affects everything not firmly attached to the Earth’s surface. It affects fluids, like air and water, as well as floating and flying objects like ships, airplanes and… bullets."
    https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/external-ballistics-the-coriolis-effect-6-theory-section/

Zero333 and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  4. Gina1

Gina1

Check it out. Explains it well

Zero333 and boltfluter like this.
  5. muleman69

I was in artillery batteries in the RVN but don't remember anything about this ,but then again we were not shooting that far.

AlaBusa likes this.
  6. muleman69

That was great, never to old to learn something they say...lol

7. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

I thought the coriolis effect was due to the earth’s rotation, not it’s orbit.

8. seymour fish

seymour fish

Excellent video. Many thanks. The apparent rise or fall of the target at 1000 yds is about 2.6” per second. Simply multiply that by your hang time to get your displacement shooting east/west

9. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

Dang, i thought the Coraopolis effect was what i got after beer and Brats at the local bar...certainly pulled a few bullets off after it hit that thick air.

;)

300_whisper, perry42, swd and 3 others like this.
  10. Mozella

Mozella

All the other replies are mostly B.S. :eek:

As you may know, the earth orbits around the sun once each year. Because the earth is tilted on its axis, if you're in the northern hemisphere you will have noticed that the weather is colder in the wintertime and warmer in the summertime. This temperature change, as the earth makes an orbit, causes changes in the air density and that change is in the range of 10% (more dense in winter). Typical summertime humidity makes the air even less dense, but the effect is relatively small.

The result is that, all other things being equal, bullets will strike the target higher in summer and lower in the winter. Any good ballistics program can tell you by how much a change in air density will change your POI.

Of course if your friend meant to say "rotation" rather than "orbit", then that's an entirely different discussion and the other posts on this thread are more relevant. :D

300_whisper, Zero333 and mr45man like this.
  11. msinc

msinc

Your a wild man snert!!!!!!

Well, some of us don't, but yep..........that about sums it up.

Just when I thought I had a new excuse for bad groups......

12. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Ok. Since this is becoming a "thread", I must profess some lingering theories that I am investigating based on what I observe. Go flush your toilet and watch which way the water spins. See the vortex? Notice that your toilet is not a thousand yards wide.(unless you're that Kardasian girl that needs a bigger one and can afford it). Given that this occurs in such a confined distance, I must insist that the "experts" are wrong in the assumption that the affects are "minute and negligible ". I have done extensive research shooting at 100 yards and have seen "mysterious vortexual affects" move one or two of my bullets off it's intended path. As alluded to above, the earth rotates on it's axis AND also orbits the sun! These TWO rotating affects cause these vortices to occur. The experts always forget to finish the equation with X=£[¥3-$squared~2^€+9]. The experts also forget to include "time" as a factor. Einstein realized this in his later years when his hair got grey and frizzy. He looked in a mirror and had an AHAH!!! Moment! Time must be added to the equation. Any older shooter/reloader/shop guy has discovered this. They have all seen these vortices "move things". I have seen it! I put a tool on my bench, turn around, and it's gone! I am currently purchasing the equipment to record these affects with video imagery! More to come on this! I must take a moment to thank Herr Prof. Snert for the inspiration for my ongoing scientific endeavors!

perry42, Medic505, swd and 3 others like this.
  13. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

If everything is always being pulled to the center of the globe and this force is strong enough to hold atmosphere and water to it's surface while spinning 1K mph, how are birds able to fly so effortlesslyo_O

300_whisper and Joe Salt like this.
  14. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren

They have the secret power of the "Ancients" that you bestowed on them when you arrived on this planet from Krypton.

/VH, JRS and joshb like this.
  15. BP1

BP1

Hi I’m Bp1 and I approve this message.

300_whisper likes this.
  16. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

What part of the earth is round? On top? Underwater?

If water always rests at the surface flat, where is round observable?

How can we know?

17. scubohuntr

scubohuntr

Well, everyone knows birds in a vacuum fly at Mach 3.

18. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren

"How can we know?"

We, the mortal earthlings, are awaiting your explanation. Do not hold us in suspense!

/VH likes this.
  19. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Where in nature can we observe convex water at the surface level?

20. Toolbreaker

Toolbreaker Gold $$ Contributor

In a vacuum, even I can make a decent wind call o_O

snert and joshb like this.