Anyone used store bought Urethanes

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by BobW, Jun 12, 2008.

1. BobW

BobW

Curious to see if anyone has used the store bought,ACE, Home Depot, etc.) Poly Urethanes to clear coat a laminate stock? I tried it a number of years ago and it didn't turn out too bad. I have a new stock coming and trying to either find someone that will clear coat it for me or try it myself without a sprayer using rags and/or brushes.

thanks
    Bob

2. FALPhil

FALPhil

As long as you use a high quality brush and a urethane that is not water based, you are good to go. I have done several stocks with urethane and the only complaint I have is that it is harder to touch up urethane than it is tung oil when you get a scratch or a ding.

3. TRECustom

TRECustom

BobW, I use MinWax urethane spar varnish in a spray can with good results. Also use MinWax wiping urethane. Works good in opened up barrel channels among other things. Wouldn't be without either one.

Tom

4. brfun

brfun

I have also used spray Min Wax urethane spar varnish. lots of thin coats as per directions. Then I wet sanded with 2500 grit and hand polished with Meguiars scratch remover paste wax. when wet sanding I also add a little dish washing soap to the water. it seems to help.
    Brian

5. Preacher

Preacher

All those store bought Urethanes will turn a stock a nasty yellow color over time.
    Auto clear coat will not effect the color, and will last longer, and is easy to touch up if needed....

6. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

The stock in this photo was gray and black BEFORE I used MinWax "satin" urethane. It definitely went yellow/green after many coats.

The gun doesn't look bad now, but it is definitely NOT a gray/black stock any more!!

Only clear coat for me from now on....

[​IMG]

7. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Automotive Clear Coat! :thumb: No color change and tough as nails.
    Hit your local body shop when they're shooting clear coat if you're not set up to spray. ;)

8. brfun

brfun

A few yeas ago there was a Auto paint store hear the would would mix what you want and put in an aerosol can for small small like stocks. haven't checked lately so I don't know if they still offer it or not. Might be worth checking into for another option if you aren't set up to spray.
    I have also bought Auto clear at the parts house and had limited success.
    Brian

9. Preacher

Preacher

I buy my 2 part Clear coat from the local NAPA dealer that recommended Crossfire mixed 4 to 1 and really like the end results, and it will be Black and Gray forever.....

[​IMG]

10. swglenn

swglenn

Preacher, Your stock finish looks great. How much did you have to buy, and how many coats did you use?

11. bhoges

bhoges

Now if thats not dipped in glass I dont know what is. 2-3 coats is all that is needed when using professionsl clear. Stick with Diamont,Glassurit and spies. Anyone has questions I painted cars for a long time. If your close ill spray your stock.

try this link for pics:
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1901862#post1901862

12. Preacher

Preacher

swglen----
    I bought a gallon of it along with the hardener, figured I would use it all before I croak.
    There are 6 coats on that stock that were sanded down to bare wood for the first 2, and then 600 wet sanded for the other 4 coats. 2 to 3 coats would be sufficient if the pores were filled first, but I would rather fill em with the clear as it seems to make it appear deeper and I have the time to devote to it.......
    I have PPG's Deltron DC 3000 on a few stocks of mine and like the NAPA better price wise, and it seems to hold up just as good...

13. bhoges

bhoges

I know a good way to fill the pores is using fiberglass resin. Mike Kav did his stocks like that. He's an awesome painter. Some of the clears like Dupont or PPG dont hold up as well. They can have issues like dieback. I like the German clears since one reducer and hardener can be used accross the whole system. Most American systems get you by using different solvents and hardeners for clears,paints and primers. The one thing about buying in bulk is you save money but the clear only has a limited lifespan once opened. Its a pain to reseal the cans at times. Ive lost a few expensive cans over the yrs. Heres a pic of my 1813L I did 10yrs ago. It still looks mint. Glasurit clear and paint over wood.

PHOTO LINK HERE

14. Preacher

Preacher

Neither of those links open to photo's for me :,
    For long term storage I broke down the gallon to sealed quart Mason jars.........

15. bhoges

bhoges

I cant seem it get the pics up?I posted some on rimfirecentral under lefty's. He's a link:
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1901862#post1901862

16. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

I had finished one of my stocks with Tru Oil and it was at least a year old. I sanded it down and got it sprayed with Automotive Clear Coat. The Tru Oil made a perfect sealer. The Clear made the colors "jump out"!
    Hard wood will take Clear Coat much better than a laminated wood.
    The softer laminates will take lots of sealer to get a good finish but the finished product will be well worth the "extra" effort.
    Preacher's stocks are a perfect example of the finish you end up with.:thumb: