Anyone use 6.5 bullets in 95 gr for deer DRT Kills?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by daniel brothers, Dec 1, 2019.

1. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

Anyone use 6.5 bullets in 95 gr for deer DRT Kills?

I am just curious if anyone shoots this size bullet for deer or any other critters... it just has to be a knock down thing.

2. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

No but the 100ttsx barnes is magic.

Bill K and 1K6BRA like this.
  3. OKyote73

OKyote73

Got a friend that shot one 300+yds, drt...... Shot another a little back around 475 and big tracking job ensued! 95 Vmax on both

mikeinct, Gary in MD and WyleWD like this.
  4. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Shooting deer with a V-Max? Really?

5. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Silver $$ Contributor

+1

6. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

I'm sure that 100 ttsx barnes is magic. I'd like to hear some testimonies from anyone who has used any of these light weight bullets on deer... and how they reacted. thanks.

7. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Silver $$ Contributor

I've taken 4 blacktail in Oregon, all within 40 yards. The vegetation in our coast range can be very dense where they live so I like something that has a high chance of DRT.
    deer 1- 308W with 150 Corelokt ran 40 yards with a perfect heart and lung shot
    deer 2- 308W with 150 Nosler BT ran 25 yards, tons of meat damage
    deer 3- 45-70 with 430 WNFP dropped and twitched a sec then DRT. Bullet went completely through diagonal long ways then through a tree...
    deer 4- 308W 130 TTSX DRT and a twitch or two. Very little meat damage.

Only a small sample size but I have acquaintances that mirror my experience. Drop a bullet weight or 2 and run them fast. You also need to think about expansion velocity. I only use them for 300ish yards and under, for longer ranges I'd use something else. Don't know much about the LRX but then again I don't get long shots so I focus on what works up close. YMMV

mikeinct likes this.
  8. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

100g partition for deer in a creed is wicked medicine according to a good friend, all he shoots at warp speed with R#17.

mikeinct, daniel brothers and Mark W like this.
  9. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

warp speed .... is there any other speed????????? LOL

mikeinct and Mark W like this.
  10. duke260

duke260

95 vmax out of a 6.5 Grendel around 2700 FPS at 120 yards. When hit she tried to turn but hit a sapling and fell over dead. When we quartered her I inspected the damage and the lungs were turned to mush. All the energy the bullet had was dumped into the chest cavity and it stoped her almost instantly. I think that the 95 vmax is ok for short distance like 150 and under. 55C591EA-838E-4448-A323-A1617B017511.jpeg

Bill K, mikeinct and daniel brothers like this.
  11. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

Good picture Duke... it sure seems like a warp speed 95-100 gr bullet would put the smack down on a deer.

12. Rdlningcltchdmpr

The 100ttsx is the best(. period) ! Because they are fast, flat, go in 100 grains, come out 100 grains. No lead fragments. Shoot through twigs, branches, saplings , and kill without fail. They go through whitetail at any angle, and bones don't stop them. They create about a 2"+ hole all the way except the skin. No deer can live with a two inch + hole. Also very accurate.

daniel brothers likes this.
  13. 1K6BRA

1K6BRA Silver $$ Contributor

Not sure what “DRT”means but I’m thinking it means dead right there. Must be a new fangled saying. I am on my 45th year deer hunting and have shot and killed 70+ of them. I don’t believe there is such a thing as a “DRT”bullet. Any deer that walks the face of this earth hit in the correct spot in the boiler room is “DRT”. You might not know it that second and it may not know it that second but correctly hit it will die on the spot or after a short run. You may try one of those Barns TTSX 100 grain slugs and the first deer you kill with it may fall in its tracks but the second one may run (correctly hit) for who knows how long,every animal reacts differently. I have personally shot 13 deer with that bullet some have dropped “DRT“ some have galloped off a short distance. The internal damage these slugs do is incredible. Like in real estate the saying goes “location location location“ same goes for shooting critters no matter their size.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 12:10 PM
  14. AckleymanII

You have to watch the deer in your scope, shoot just as the deer exhales, they are DRT every time.

15. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Through wood ,on purpose ? I've never been that hungry .

16. Prose

Prose

They'll do that...

17. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Never heard that. Thanks.

18. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I guess I am curious as to why anyone would really want to use 95 grain bullets on deer when we all know there are much better choices.
    A buddy shot a Mule Deer with 120 GMX. It wasn't DRT but didn't go maybe 20 yards. The shot was right on 400 yards. BTW, which 6.5 cartridge paired with 95Gr has your curiosity peaked?

19. AckleymanII

That is a joke! Told to me by a shore nuff white tail gou roo! He was serious!

20. Rdlningcltchdmpr

No not on purpose ! Example- if you hear a shot close by and then see a wounded buck running through some saplings. Or if you think you have a clean shot but accidentally hit a branch you didn't see. Or like i did hit them perfect and they run like a clean miss. A second follow-up shot goes right through a sapling and breaks their neck stoping them from going past another hunter. I once saw a coyote moving through a thick thicket , so thick i could only see tiny bits of fur going along. 257 weatherby-80ttsx went right through apparently not deflected and ruined his future. So i knew someone would miss read my meaning. But i do believe in ethical hunting practices.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 2:13 PM