Anyone shoot PDs in Colorado or New Mexico

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Ironworker, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

Googled a few outfitters in CO and NM ,just wondering if anyone has been there done that ?

hillbillydruggist likes this.
  2. K9TXS

K9TXS

hillbillydruggist and Ironworker like this.
  3. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve had some luck with prairie dogs in Colorado, but I usually shoot jack rabbits and coyotes in Colorado and New Mexico. South Dakota is where I go for prairie dogs.

hillbillydruggist and Ironworker like this.
  4. K9TXS

K9TXS

Which outfitters are you looking at? I'm also thinking about a trip to either state in 2020.

5. Ironworker

I'm just googling a few checking out there packages . Devils tower in WY has my attention now.

6. longtrapshootn

longtrapshootn

There are prairie dogs on Public Land in New Mexico. I know a few spots but I am not giving them up, or the next time I try them, they'll be shot out. Best thing to do is to get a Forest Service/BLM map of the area you want to prospect and then start driving around on the back roads with a pair of binoculars. Thats how I found my spots. Then, if you take a friend along next time, be sure and blind fold him before you get to the spot!

7. shb

shb Silver $$ Contributor

Did you know CO has a prairie dog season ffs.

8. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

Kind of. Only a season on public land, no season on private land.

I live in CO, and don't bother shooting them here. Not that many dogs since the drought and the plague. There are some dogs near Springfield, but that is a long haul for me, and it gets a lot of pressure. And in the grasslands, you can only drive on designated roads.

A friend of mine shot in NM for many years and had many places to shoot. But when he visited last year, most the towns were gone due to poisoning and plague. Not sure what part of the state he shot in.

I have shot with C&D Outfitters in SD. I would highly recommend them. But other than the towns they have leased as part of their deer lease, I just don't see many other towns when I have scouted. But I do know lots of folks that shoot there.

9. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

I thought you shot in MT? I travel through WY quite a bit, and see the populations expanding every year.

Ironworker likes this.
  10. Ironworker

I shot the same ranch for the last 5 years,last two times there wasn't as many. So I want to try some where else. Spoke to "Devils Tower" out fitter today. I think I might go with him next spring.

Mark W likes this.
  11. sw282

sw282

l shot close to Clayton NM in 2018.. Not near as many as 2017 due to the PLAGUE.
    We have been told many times that poisoning usually kills app 60%. Plague gets them ALL

12. pdog2062

pdog2062

My self and some friends have been going to the Oklahoma panhandle for years to shoot prairie dogs,last year I shot 1400 rounds in 4 days.This year it was 100 rounds due to the plague and some form of botulism according to the OSU biologists