Anyone recommend A book on interior Ballistics?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Boxcar77, May 11, 2017.

1. Boxcar77

Boxcar77 Silver $$ Contributor

Are there any books available on the study of interior Ballistics? Anything that breaks it down in laymens terms? Just a curiosity of mine I'd like to quench.

2. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

Litz's books don't really get into internal ballistics, unfortunately. This is a good college text that covers it, but it's expensive, and not really what I would call "layman's terms": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYRNEH6/?tag=accuratescom-20

Other than that, all I've seen are the typical reloading manuals.

3. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Watching this thread...
    Many books have contributed to my (limited) understanding of internal ballistics but I've never found a single publication that thoroughly covers the subject.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. RustyMetal

RustyMetal Engineer'gDesignr Silver $$ Contributor

5. SheepDog

SheepDog Silver $$ Contributor

If you are really interested in the understanding the math and physics behind internal ballistics most of the books won't provide much. In order to interpret the ones that do you will need advanced math skills to understand them.
    There are some good, though superficial, reads on the net and the most common book is "The Bullet's Flight from powder to target" which was written in 1909 and republished but it is of limited value with todays propellants. Fr. Frog's Pad has a section on internal ballistics as does Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_ballistics). Referance books and articles are mostly based on either the military research or Powley's slide rule calculator. The military information is based on large caliber guns and Powley's information is based on 30-06 and 308 using single based powders. The further one strays from the targets subjects the less accurate the information becomes.
    I wish you well on your search and be sure to check the reference material in the Wiki article.

6. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb

7. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe an opportunity for the gentleman who wrote Quickload.

8. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

9. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb

10. wwbrown

wwbrown Silver $$ Contributor

try here if you don't mind pdf copies

11. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

Great resource!

Thanks.

12. wwbrown

wwbrown Silver $$ Contributor

Reprints of Thermodynamics of Firearms can be found here at less than $10. These are Indian reprints so will usually come in very lightweight paper of a lower quality of the original, the full content is there so a great source for a hard to find text.

13. Boxcar77

Wow, Thanks for all the replies gentleman! Definitely plenty to read through.

14. SheepDog

SheepDog Silver $$ Contributor

Boxcar,
    I am curious, is there a reason you are reading up on the subject?

15. Boxcar77

No particular reason, just want to understand the subject more. And would also like to understand cartridge case design theory a little more.