Anyone interested in shooting beyond 1 mile? (VA)

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Sling, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Sling

Sling

I have been blessed with some nice places to shoot beyond 1 mile very close to home. As soon as weather warms up, we will get to shooting. If any member would like to join us, feel free to contact me. I have several places to shoot out to almost 2800yds. Of course, I know some people have smaller calibers that can reach that far, the problem is can`t see bullet splash. We usually meet early that morning, shoot till lunchtime, then have a cookout, then go back to shooting. I already have steel targets setup. It doesnt cost anything to shoot but I need to know how many is coming so we have enough grub to eat. Absolutely no alcohol! Just letting shooters know that it won`t be long till the fun starts so get ready.

2. jelrod1

jelrod1

I wouldn't mind joining you. I see you are in Abington. I have family near there and come up a few times a year. I can't reach those distances with anything I have, but would shoot some closer targets and watch yall hit the long ones if that's ok.

3. Sling

Sling

Jelrod1, you are welcome to join us. I actually have targets scattered from 100yds and out. I`ll let you shoot my 408 Cheytac or 338`s.

4. 8nthatk

8nthatk

I would love to…what a cool, generous offer. Let me know how I can contribute; grub, or whatever.

I don’t think I can get that far out there with my present rig, but I’ll get out as far as I can til it disappears! ; )

5. jelrod1

jelrod1

Thanks. I have some poppers and gong type targets I could bring as well if needed. Would be shooting 6.5x47. Sounds like a good time.

6. littlebuddybr

littlebuddybr

Wow that is an awesome offer!!!

7. broncman

broncman

Deffinitely interested! Might not make it much past a mile with my FTR, but love to try. I pass through and spend a lot of time in the 81 corridor, camping etc. Keep us posted on dates.

Ken

8. Rem6br

Rem6br

I'm keeping up with this one it's just up the road for me

9. feardaroo

feardaroo

Wish you were alot closer to ohio.

10. machineman98

machineman98 Gold $$ Contributor

Would like to shoot the mile. When????

11. wboggs

wboggs

What kind of base set up do you use to get the elevation for that range? I could probably get a mile out of mine with 20 moa base and NF scope but nowhere near the ranges you are shooting.
    Very generous offer. Several of us might drive up.
    Bill

12. Dennis_in_VA

Dennis_in_VA I had more when I had less Site $$ Sponsor

Is that the same place we shot at the first time we met?

Over at/near Big Tom's place?

Might have to bring my 45 Smokeless ML over (it might be done by then) and shoot it at distance.

13. Sling

Sling

Hello Dennis, Thats right. Big Toms cousins farm is one of the places. The other places to shoot is within 20 miles of that farm.

It doesnt take that much scope base to get to a mile if the scope has quite a bit of elevation. I recommend at least a 40moa base. My 338 Excaliber shoots a 300gr Berger @ 3050fps with a 60moa base. I have a 1000yd zero. From there it takes me around 24mils to hit 2449yds. Thats the furthest I`ve shot it. I just got permission on a farm close to Clay Pool Hill. We ranged from one side to the other and can get around 3500yds (2 miles). No houses or roads in the way either. Most Targets are man sizes silhouettes. It doesnt matter if you dont have a rifle that can shoot that far. Bring what you have. About 2 years ago we were shooting 12ga slugs at 750yds. Once word gets around and enough people know about this, I would like to start hosting a big fun shoot couple times a year.

14. panzer075

panzer075

Thanks for the offer Sling..I would love to come down and shoot. Tell me can we camp out down there..I would be traveling from the mountains of North NY...please put me on the list look forward to dates/times...

15. Sling

Sling

Yes, there is campgrounds close by as well as motels. The campgrounds are setup for campers with full hookup and also for tents. Shower houses too. I`ll post the dates as soon as I know for sure.

16. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member

11 hour drive, not bad.

Did I miss the dates? Or could you post them?

Dennis

17. 1 mile

1 mile

That would be me. I lived in Nebo for all my life and moved to Wapiti. I'll be back at the area when it warms up. I have a 375 Chey Tec. that I shot at 1800 yards at Nebo.

Can I have a contact # for you .

P.S I've got a 60 moa base so I can reach long ways out.

18. machineman98

machineman98 Gold $$ Contributor

How many shooter can you accommodate? Two in my party. Any approximate dates? What town/city is close?

I have only shot 1K. Will a 30-338 Win Mag, 280 AI work for the mile+?

19. Sling

Sling

I would like to keep it under 30 shooters so each shooter will get more trigger time. Also when shooting ELR, past 1 mile, it`s easier to spot bullet splash when each shooter takes his/her turn. I will figure up the dates and let everyone know sometime in Jan-Feb. I am located about 30 minutes North from Bristol Motor Speedway. A 30-338 Win Mag will do a mile with the right load,scope,etc. The 280AI can do it also but thats pushing it. I have shot my 284 Match out to 1660yds but it lacks.

20. Va Hillbilly

Va Hillbilly

(1 mile) Just let me know about this. So I have just registered to get in on this if its ok?
    Right now I could get a little over a mile. Havn't shot a mile yet but want to bad.