Anyone interested in new Nikon Black X1000 scopes?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Ledd Slinger, Apr 29, 2017.

1. LAhunter

LAhunter

Thank you both for the input! it greatly helps to have people who know what they are talking about to help me make a decision. I am glad I found this site. Thank you again!

bman940 likes this.
  2. bman940

bman940 Love to shoot,

3. bman940

bman940 Love to shoot,

All the data should now be updated on Nikon's website showing what the BLACK X1000 MRAD/MOA version's are capable of doing. Drop me a note with any question's and I'll do my best to get you the answers.

[​IMG]

Ledd Slinger and 300_whisper like this.
  4. NZVarminter

NZVarminter

I bought one in 6-24..but had to send it back. At low power left hand perimeter was fuzzy, right hand nice and sharp. tried to set the parrelax. Closest I could focus was 60 m, and had double image on left hand side of the centre.

Put alongside my Zeiss HD5 5-25 (which I'm not impressed with compared to the old MC model) and the Nikon is dull. I could resolve down to the same level of detail on the USFA test chart but expect in the field I would be disappointed.

Turrets felt nice, but only 12MOA per rev and no zero stop and windage had marking 0-12 one way.

Others have posted it has a forgiving eyebox, but didnt seem any better than any of my other scopes. The old Zeiss MC 6.5-20 *50 wins hands down compared to any other scopes in the under $1000 price bracket. Pitty they downgraded to the HD5 series!

mikea5232 likes this.
  5. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I've been hunting extensively with the Nikon Black X1000 6-24x50 on my 338-375R this fall. The optics at long range on high power are nothing to brag about. The picture is bright, but the resolution leaves a little to be desired. Of course for the price tag, this is nothing to complain about.

However, the turrets on this scope track perfectly. I originally shot the rfile out to 900 yards getting ready for hunting season and the turrets worked flawlessly.

During the course of the hunting season, I have dialed my turrets up and back down a few times debating on whether or not to take different bucks, and while watching herds of elk for a bull to step out. Haven't seen anything big enough that I wanted to shoot yet :( The rifle has been packed up and down mountains for lord knows how many miles and beat around in a truck going to and from locations all season. As a precautionary measure, I decided to go to the range today and take a 600 yard cold bore sighter shot to make sure everything was still good. Dialed the turret up to 600 yards and touched it off. The 250gr Berger impacted the target 3/4" off dead center bullseye. Although the optics don't fully compare with much more expensive scopes, I'd have to say the Nikon Black X is just as reliable mechanically as any scope on the market. Mechanical reliability is by far the most important thing to me in a riflescope. I only need to see where I'm aiming on the animal to make shot. I don't need to count the hairs on its nose. That's what my high end binoculars and spotting scope is for. Tho it would be nice if Nikon offered the Black X scopes with the better ED glass as an option.

20171120_090125.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    bman940 likes this.
  6. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

Finally got to look through a 4x16 Black. I happened to be in Cabela's the other day and got curious. I like the new reticle, and the glass was nice and clear. I ended up looking at it up against a Vortex Viper, and there was very little difference, although I gave the nod to Vortex, only because I already have one! If the mechanicals are true, it is very much on par with the Vortex in quality and price. If I was needing a scope right now, I would have to flip a coin.

bman940 and Ledd Slinger like this.
  7. Ledd Slinger

Yeah the new reticles are my favorite feature. Can't stand all other Nikon reticles. Open circle BDC is the worst.

No real improvements on glass or mechanical reliability. Nikon has always had good reliability and glass in their higher priced scopes.

The deer in my avatar picture was taken this last season using the Nikon BlackX1000 6-24x50. My son also took his buck with my rifle.

8. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

My thoughts exactly, I hate those things.

Beautiful Buck, by the way!

That cold bore shot ain't bad either!

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  9. MSS

MSS

There’s a favorable mention of this scope in this months Gun World mag. Looking forward to checking them out.

bman940 likes this.
  10. Ledd Slinger

Defintely the most solid scope mechanically and the best reticle Nikon has ever produced. Extremely repeatable turrets. I can't rember how many times I dialed the turrets up and down practicing at long range and dialing in on smaller bucks this year and deciding not to shoot. When we found a buck my son wanted to take, he used my rifle with the BlackX and the scope dialed true. When I took the buck in my avatar picture, the scope dialed true again. The picture of the 600 yard cold bore practice shot is also another testament to the repeatability of the turrets. Top notch :)

Glass is about the same as the Monarch 3. Very good 'for the money', but nothing special.

bman940 likes this.