Anyone interested in new Nikon Black X1000 scopes?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Ledd Slinger, Apr 29, 2017.

1. bman940

bman940 Love to shoot, Silver $$ Contributor

Ledd, I have an answer to your question about the MRAD/MOA number's not working out. An mrad will subtend 3.6 inches at a distance of 100 yards. Most riflescopes using mrad adjustments will use .1 mrad clicks which subtend .36 inches at 100 yards. That being said, the scope you are talking about does not exist at this point in time. That is why the numbers don't work, you are looking at a 4-16 MRAD and MOA scope and comparing them to the BLACK X1000 6-24x50 which you mistakenly thought was in MOA and thus the numbers didn't jibe. I've included the below table for you to look at that makes it much easier to pick the model and technical data.

[​IMG]

2. HeathB

HeathB

image1.JPG IMG_0904.JPG Hello everyone,

Saw the post and thought I'd give a little feedback. I was fortunate enough to test out the BLACK x1000 before it hit shelves. I have a predator hunting channel on YouTube and Facebook called Alpha Dog Down. I'm extremely picky about the optics I run on my predator hunting rifle. It has to be clear, reliable, and functional or I simply won't use it. I was truly impressed with the Nikon BLACK x1000 4-16. First thing I noticed was it's solid rugged build. After mounting it up and shouldering it I was blown away by the amount of eye relief it offers. Zeroing it in was a breez and I was pleased to find the turrets adjustments were very crisp and responsive. I've put this scope through the test Hunting coyotes, wild boar, and long range target shooting. Th clarity in the field is exceptional and it performed awesome with my night light attached while hunting pigs in Oklahoma. Recently did a long range steel shoot at 700 yards with the BLACK Series mounted on my Remington 5.55. Shot a baseball sized three shot group! The xmoa reticle made it easy to calculate holdover and wind drift. In conclusion I am a fact based person and after putting through the test facts are the BLACK Series line of optics from Nikon are a shooters dream. Check out the footage on YouTube @. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9_yb1yseC4SmjjtlJZh9Sg

Attached Files:

3. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe. But there website clearly states it's the 6-24x50 MOA model and has 25 MOA total elevation.

1 MRAD is actually 3.43775 MOA according to my conversion application. The Nikon website lists the 6-24x50 MOA, but haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. Must not be ready for sales at this time or maybe it was just a complete screw up on the information they posted. My wife informed me that my 6-24x50 MRAD model with .1 mrad turrets arrived yesterday. With all this positive feedback starting to flow into this topic, I'm pretty excited to review it for myself. I have other scopes in similar price ranges and some a little more expensive. I will mainly be comparing it to a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 since that's the closest thing I have for comparing apples to apples.

nakneker likes this.
  4. bman940

bman940 Love to shoot, Silver $$ Contributor

5. Ledd Slinger

bman940, that's the same site I'm looking at. Did you read any of the details on the overview descriptions?

The site says "6-24x50SF XMRAD reticle", but the Overview description only talks about MOA adjustment and turrets. XMRAD only refers to the reticle. It specifically only mentions MOA adjustments on the scope. And nowhere on the site does it say there is a scope with .1 mil turrets.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...e.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

It's says the 4-16 scope has 90 MOA or 25 MRAD of total adjustment, which lets a person think there are two options, but then only talks about 1/4 MOA turrets for the 4-16 model.

Guess it doesn't matter. Just be nice if a company had someone paying attention to the information being posted on their site before they approve it's release.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  6. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Silver $$ Contributor

There are several scope companies offering FFP scopes in this price range with similar or better features. I've never had a Nikon that tracked correctly if you turned knobs on a regular basis. Good to see they are getting away from BDC reticles though.

7. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

I hope the reviews keep coming. At their price point they could sell a bunch of these if they are sold scopes. I'm not a huge Nikon Fan but I don't hold grudges either. I'll probably just buy one and get my hands it.

8. Ledd Slinger

Been home a little over a week and the scope was waiting for me here when I got home. First impressions are that it is a very well built and solid scope.

The turrets are solid, not as solid as NightForce NXS scopes, but there is no slop or play when dialing.

The MRAD reticle is by far much better than anything else Nikon has ever produced. Not too thick, not too thin, just right for hunting in low light situations at long range.

The glass is very nice, tho nothing spectacular. It wouldn't compete with top end scope glass from Swarovski, S&B, or NF NXS, but it would probably place at the top of the list for its price point and probably compete with many scopes in the $800-$1000 price range. As a comparison, I used to own a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope. At long range and low light, I firmly believe the Nikon glass is better than the more expensive Vortex.

Haven't had the chance to shoot it and do any tracking tests yet because I just set the scope in rings with bedding and a shim calculated to allow 20 MOA of extra elevation. Once the bedding cures and I get the scope re-mounted, I will head to the range....as long as I can keep up on my honey-do list :)

Pics of the scope setting up on my custom 338-375 Ruger.

2017-05-24 11.31.54.jpg

2017-05-24 11.32.28.jpg

msinc, nakneker and swd like this.
  9. Ledd Slinger

I forgot to mention eye relief...
    This scope is absolutely amazing in this department. The eye relief stays a solid and consistent 4+" throughout most of the magnification range then only drops to about 3-1/2" to 3-3/4" at the highest settings. The eye box never gets fussy on any power setting so if you are lined up within the eye relief range, little head movements do not make you lose full field of view. It is as comfortable to line up behind as any scope I've ever looked through at any price range. Nikon definitely knows what they are doing when it comes to designing a scope with good consistent eye relief.

I also like how Nikon designs their parallax focus wheel from 50 to 1000 yards and THEN infinity. Other scopes either have no yardage markings or they go from 50 to 500 yards, then infinity. Although the Nikon parallax wheel turns more than most other scopes, it makes fine tuning objects into perfect focus at ranges out to 1000 yards a breeze.

10. Ledd Slinger

Broke the scope out of the rings, cleaned up the bedding, leveled scope in rings again and torqued screws to 20 inch lbs, then bore sighted it. Boresighting was dead on left to right, as it always is when I lap and bed my rings, and I had to adjust the scope down one mil of elevation for the reticle to match the bore at 50 yards. When I get it sighted in at the range, 300 yards will be my zero.

However, I did find something very interesting when I was verifying the amount of adjustment claimed by Nikon. They claim the scope provides 17 mil of elevation.
    Welllll....that claim is WAY off the mark.
    I confirmed 22.4 mil of total elevation adjustment (and YES the reticle was moving from the very first click to the very last click where it stops the turret very solidly). That equates to roughly 77 MOA! That's pretty impressive for a 6-24x scope in a 30mm tube. Great job Nikon! Tho they need to get their info right because their website is a mess. It's almost as if they've never tested the scope themselves...

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    nakneker and msinc like this.
  11. coorslight

coorslight

Looking forward to your review, just started looking at that model myself

12. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

Lead, is your scope first focal plane?

Don Dunlap

13. Ledd Slinger

No. They only make it in SFP.

14. nakneker

I tried to find where this scope is made. Do you mind looking at yours or the box and enlightening me?

15. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Philippines?

16. nakneker

I couldn't find it. I imagine your right but it would be a pleasant surprise to see Japan. Either way I'll probably give one these a try.

17. Ledd Slinger

Phillipines like most of the Nikon riflescope lineups

18. nakneker

Thank you Sir

19. Ledd Slinger

You're welcome. Like I stated earlier in the thread, I've owned a couple Nikon Monarch scopes in the past and they were also made in the Phillipines.

Although most Nikon scopes are made on the Phillipines, they are much higher quality than anything coming out of China from other manufacturers. I firmly believe they also easily match or best the quality of any American or European made scopes in the same price range

20. jbentham84

jbentham84

If it's any kind of testimate to this scope - I can tell you personally it tracks. I took it to a national level precision rifle match three weekends ago (National Rifle League) match in Washington. I was shooting the 6-24 model in mils with many targets ranging out to 1420 yards. I ended up taking 6th out of 110 with a shot out 6mm barrel and by far the cheapest scope on the mountain. So needless to say it earned my confidence that weekend :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017