anyone have good luck with Nosler 105 RDF?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by old_dood, Sep 25, 2017.

1. old_dood

old_dood Silver $$ Contributor

I can usually shoot 1" groups at 200 with 80g SMK in PacNor 8t 223AI and 90g Berger BT in 7.5t PacNor 6BR using Varget in both. When I had 107SMK's, with N150, again 1" groups or better. For the life of me, can't get these Nsoler RDF's to shoot better than 2" at 200yd. I've tried Varget and N150 and can't say I've gotten a good load testing over 140 rounds of various loads and seating depths. Whidden FL sizer, Wilson chamber seater. Primers are BR4.

2. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

3. Willow

Willow

I've tried them, albeit briefly in a 6BARI and they wouldn't shoot as tight as Berger Hybrids, which didn't shoot quite as tight as Berger 108gr BTs...The RDF is a pretty bullet but I had a couple of fliers in my groupings. I've still got a few which I was intending for future break-in of barrels, but I may try them at different seating depths. They were nothing special at being jumped 30 thou.

4. Delfuego

Delfuego

Try to give them a running start 30-40 thousands. But it's really a crapshoot.

5. Texas10

Texas10 Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for the link! Ordered 2 boxes to try out in 6mmBR. Finally got the 105 Hybrids shooting about as well as the (now extinct) 105 A-Max. Maybe this one will follow suit.

6. Mozella

Mozella

I shot a five-shot .537 MOA at a 600 yard match last Sunday using 105gr RDF's with Varget in pretty tricky wind conditions. Nothing to write home about, but it was the second best group of the day out of 18 shooters.

They seem to shoot about as well as Berger 105gr Hybrids at 100 yards. I can't say if the higher BC is real or not. This was my first try using them in a match, but they seemed do do OK at 600yds.

old_dood likes this.
  7. old_dood

old_dood Silver $$ Contributor

could I have your load info along with seating depth. I'm trying again tomorrow. I shoot off a bipod using rear bag squeeze. my experiment will be a tighter hold than I had been using.

8. normmatzen

normmatzen Silver $$ Contributor

For years I have used 105 Hybrids in my 6BRX. I also shot some 105 A-MAX with pretty similar results. lots of ribbons.
    I tried 105 RDF and did a formal barrel Characterization on the RDF's and barrel/tuner re-tune. Now the RDFs seem to out shoot the others. AND, are WAY cheaper!

The RDF have enough of a different shape that re-tuning is needed. Prior to complete re tuning, I carefully measured the RDF wrt Hybrids and found for similar jump, the RDF sticks into the case more so I used quick load to duplicate velocity and barrel time by dropping the load about .15gr and it shot great!

Terry and Dgd6mm like this.