Anyone else notice a lower SD/ES when you use a can?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Eternal Student, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Eternal Student

Eternal Student

I have started to notice that when I put on my Gemtech that the SD is lower-consistently. It usually cuts it in 1/3 or even 1/2. The last group I shot had an ES of 14 and it dropped to 6fps when I put on the can. It could have been just a good group of rounds but I notice numbers like that group after group.
    Anyone else had this experience or maybe even the opposite??
    Thanks

2. Doug Beach

Doug Beach

Depending on the type of chronograph, is it possible that you have it too close, and the unsuppressed blast is affecting your readings?

3. B23

B23

It will be interesting to see the replies on this because I swear, my 17 WSM has, MUCH, less crazy extreme velocity spreads with the can screwed on the end than it does without it. The 17 WSM is a rimfire and the ammo is far from match grade so I really have no way of knowing if it's purely coincidence or if there is something about having a can on it that somehow evens out the pressure curve, but when I've chronographed it the ES always seems to be way better when I have the can on it.

Considering I shoot just about everything suppressed, hopefully someone has some hard evidence regarding suppressors affecting ES/SD in a positive way. I'm always looking for another good selling point to use with my wife so I can convince her I need to buy another can. ;)

Eternal Student likes this.
  4. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Kind of makes sense. Pressure rises a bit with a can, perhaps it allows some kind of mediation of the pressure release at the muzzle.

Eternal Student likes this.
  5. fatelvis

fatelvis Silver $$ Contributor

I just wish I had the chance to experience a suppressor. Gotta love Illinois!

6. danny

danny

Eventually, I would like to mount a Campbell's Soup Can (Cream of Tomato) on a rifle.

Danny

AJC likes this.
  7. Eternal Student

Eternal Student

That is a good point but not true in this instant. I have a MagnetoSpeed and been using a friends Lab-radar as another chrono. Both have been on the money.

jlow likes this.
  8. D-4297

D-4297

I think I'd be more concerned about my target groupings , than either ES or SD . I've shot some very good scores with some ridiculous SD numbers , as well as some very poor scores with SD down in the 5 range . I do think SD / ES has some relevance , but not as much as we sometimes attribute to it . I don't shoot with a suppressor , so I really can't give a point of reference , other than , if it groups good , shoot it . If not , find the best way to get good consistent groups . With or without the suppressor .
    And for my own personal information , Why do you need a suppressor on a 17WSM ? I really am curious about that .

9. Eternal Student

Eternal Student

Yeah... Illinois sucks. No offense to you. :)

Maybe the can puts just enough back pressure to help the powder burn better/more efficient????

10. Jacob.A

Jacob.A

If you've got a can for it, why not use it?

11. Homerange

Homerange

Regardless of caliber they suppress the shots origin.
    In a paddock full of rabbits this gives the shooter a massive advantage.

12. B23

B23

I can only speak for myself, but "need" has absolutely nothing to do with it. I probably don't "need" A LOT of the stuff I have but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less. As for shooting things suppressed, again, I can only speak for myself, but once I started shooting things suppressed, I really enjoyed the lack of muzzle blast and I've kinda become addicted to the lack of noise, even in rimfires and I'm not so sure they haven't made me a better shooter.

13. Homerange

Homerange

Probably, if you're anything like my age and shot with unsuppressed rifles for years you brain has been programmed to ready itself for the audible hurt and that doesn't help for fine marksmanship.
    A suppressor does help and wearing a set of muffs as well even more....try it.

Further, suppressors dampen the barrel harmonics and all my rifles shoot better with them fitted.

14. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

It might be possible the transitional ballistics inside the suppressor may be affecting the bullet's air resistance to the tune of more uniform velocities ? Each chamber acts like a air velocity damper uniformly from shot to shot ?

Maybe I need some sleep because I'm not making any sense ??