Anybody loading or testing Norma powders?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by Lefty Trigger, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Silver $$ Contributor

Been reading up and eyeing some of their powders for my different rifles. My current project (6mmBR) has brought these powders to light and now I'm curious. I have found data for all my rifles but very limited input from actual shooters using it and their results.

2. Kurz

Kurz

I try to keep most of them in my stock:

N217
    MRP2
    MRP
    UPR

I have smaller supplies of the faster powders as I am usually shooting larger capacity cases right now.

3. Laurie

Laurie

We've only recently started seeing Norma powders in the UK after a gap of 15, maybe even 20 years in availability here. The surprising / interesting thing is how little the range has changed over the years.

When they were last here, I used the faster burners a lot - N200 / 201 and occasionally N202. They are excellent powders - nothing spectacular, but a combination of small grains and a bit of nitroglycerin content see them offer good velocities and 100% fill-ratios in many common cartridges.

Norma 203-B is Alliant Re15 under another name (albeit some of the SnipersHide people claim that Norma retains the 'best' lots for its own label and gives Alliant the rest :) o_O) and as it's now substantially cheaper in the UK than its Alliant equivalent, I advise people here to buy it instead as long as that condition lasts.

Likewise, it was said many years back that MRP and Re22 were one and the same thing. Current MRP users say it's better than Re22 nowadays - a little more flexible and can be pushed a bit more for higher MVs where needed / desired. They are certainly at the least very close in their characteristics - compare maximum load charges and MVs and there is little difference.

I've recently bought N204 and a rare Norma addition to its range, URP, neither of which I've used previously and intend to do a side by side test against IMR and H4350 - both of which were banned from importation into the UK / Europe last year under new EU regulations. They look like potential good replacements for the very useful 4350 pair. URP alongside MRP has a relatively high nitroglycerin content at around 12% weight if memory serves - others are mostly in the single figures.

One potential downside especially for North American users, is that unlike Alliant's recent additions with its trademarked 'TZ' technology to control temperature sensitivity, I don't see any such signs in the Norma range even though many Alliant grades (including all 'TZ' types) and all Norma powders are made by the same people, Bofors in its Karlskoga, Sweden plant. It may be that Norma powders have been quietly upgraded in this regard (and like Vihtavuori) being modest Scandinavian types they've not shouted about product improvements. However, it's also possible that they are rather temperature affected. Norma does claim its relatively new URP is very temperature stable, but I for one have not seen any feedback on this.

Zero333 likes this.
  4. Eternal Student

Eternal Student

I use MRP for my 300WM. When I went to SHOT Norma told us that they were getting out of the powder business. I would call them to double check before you went through all the work. JMO

5. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Silver $$ Contributor

Well thats not good to hear! I think Western powders is the US importer/distributor so I might give them a call if I decide to proceed with any testing. I have shot some of Norma's factory ammo and its great stuff. However lately I have only been loading Hodgdon's "Extreme" based powders for the temp stability so I may not change. I like to try new things and playing with different powders is just another thing to give me an excuse to go shoot...

6. Eternal Student

Eternal Student

I just called Western powders and left a message. If I hear anymore I will post it.

7. Eternal Student

Eternal Student

They called back and I was WRONG. He said that they have lots of it and no plans to phase out. Sorry for the bad intel earlier

Zero333 and Laurie like this.
  8. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

Norma 217 in the 30/378 Weatherby with 215 gr. Berger hybrids has done well for me. - I'm running a non-standard chamber that has a shorter leade/throat dimension.

9. jalfa

jalfa

I use Norma URP in my 6x47 L - 985m/sek with Lapua Scenar 105 grains. Rifle is a Sako TRG with a 7,5 twist 70 cm Jury Barrel (I´m Swedish)

Laurie likes this.
  10. Laurie

Laurie

Impressive MV, jalfa

11. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

I think the variance is more significant that lot to lot comparisons..again I think its more like the difference between H4350 and IMR 4350.

Guess I will load some RL19 and some 204 in the 6.5x55 123gr scenar to test. Same bullet, same case, same primer, same wieght etc. Too cold to chrony but I can at least see group size and POA

12. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

I have been loading some of the URP in my 25 Norma Dasher. Some of the observations are that it has the same bulk density as RE 15/Norma 203B but is a slower burn rate. You can pack more of it in a case. For me, it pressured out just a bit over 36 grains as does RE 16 and H4350 in the Dasher cases. It is just a bit faster than H 4350 but is a high energy powder similar to RE 17 or the old IMR 4007.
    I had a goal of over 3000 fps with a 110 gr BIB in the 25 Dasher and URP got me over the hump. The accuracy node was at 2950.
    Attached is a picture of a 5 shot group shot at 400 yards with the 25 Dasher.

I have also shot some in a 6 Dasher and 105 VLDH and a 25x47L with a 110 BIB. Both get over 3000 fps but the crappy weather, rain and wind, over the winter kept me off the range a lot and did not get them fully tested.

Add on: The URP seems to shoot best/most accurate at the upper pressure limits.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  13. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

I use MRP in my 25/06 and 7mm Weatherby mag. Great powder and gets me velocity and accuracy in these cartridges that no other powder can for me including Rl 22. I find both powders similar but no more so than say IMR 4831 and H 4831. JME

Note: I have also used N 217 in my 30/378 W mag with the 200 gr Nosler and the 210 Berger. Although the brief trial I done was OK, I found this case better suited to RL-33 and H 870 type powders.

Last edited: May 11, 2019