Anybody ever heard of...

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by RustyMetal, Mar 13, 2018.

1. RustyMetal

RustyMetal Engineer'gDesignr Silver $$ Contributor

Anybody ever heard of...

A military Springfield 1903a3 with a left-handed action? Were they even made?

2. STS

STS Silver $$ Contributor

Never heard of one.

3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

They had different rules, back then. Forget about gays in the military. If you couldn't shoot right handed, you were relegated to taking care of the horses or kitchen duty. At least, that's my guess.:confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:o_O

4. ebb

ebb

I don't think that is how it works. A lefty just put it up to his right shoulder and learned to shot as a right handed person. GI (general issue), all were the same.

22BRGUY likes this.
  5. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

When I was looking for one about fifty years ago everyone thought I was nuts. Barney MacDaniel, who became quite the shotgun smith, sold me a right hand 1903a3 Springfield rifle. He had never heard of a left hander either.

6. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter Silver $$ Contributor

I've got a right hand 03 but you can shoot it left handed.lol. I have never heard or seen a left handed 03 either. Don't think they made many factory L.H. Actions until recently. If they did back then it was probably pretty special.

Chama likes this.
  7. JMayo aka haveme1

JMayo aka haveme1

My Pop who was leo, army & navy cid, born 1915 was left handed. He told me lefties were considered mildly retarded when he was growing up. Forced them to be right handed.

joshb likes this.
  8. RustyMetal

I shoot mine on my left shoulder, but because I'm left-eyed and right handed. I don't know why, but my left eye is the dominant one. Everything else I do is right handed.

9. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

My mother is left-handed and told me numerous time over the years about the unkind remarks and treatment she received in school and at home.
    You are absolutely correct. Lefties were not treated nicely and were expected to write and everything else right handed.

joshb likes this.
  10. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

That's exactly what I was inferring. Lefties were treated as weird, odd or defective. People with Downes syndrome or mentally retarded were locked away in asylums. Gays were "treated" with electro shock therapy and various drugs to "normalize" them. It was a different world. Then, along came a guy that convinced his country to slaughter millions of people because of thier religion.

11. Ray B

Ray B

If you are referring to 1933 - 1945 Germany, you are incorrect. The criteria was racial not religious.

If you are referring to 1979 - Present Iran, you are correct.

With regard to left handed shooters with '03s, I recall in Saving Private Ryan the designated marksman in the squad fired his right-handed '03 Left Handed, Keeping his left hand on the grip and working the bolt with his right hand. Maybe it was just photographically better.

NorCalMikie likes this.
  12. divingin

divingin Gold $$ Contributor

I seem to recall him working the bolt with his left hand (reaching over the action.) Been a while since I've seen it though, so I could be "mis-remembering".

mike mccormick and NorCalMikie like this.
  13. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren

Google R.F. Sedgely. He was a famous gunsmith who converted '03 Springfield rifles to LH. They were marketed through either Griffin & Howe or Abercrombie & Fitch. They are works of art.

Not for Military use.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Left handed people are in their right mind.:D:p:confused:

hogpatrol, dkhunt14 and joshb like this.
  15. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

I KNOW they made a lefty Krag before the 03. Just look at "the Charge up San Juan Hill" and you will see a guy carrying a lefty Krag, and THAT is historical evidence. :rolleyes:

16. M14AMU

M14AMU

Guess most of you fellows never heard of Gary Anderson! Shot NMC shooting a right hand M70 off his left shoulder and beat everyone that came up against him....including the Russians in the Olympic 300 meter events! It's pretty damn easy to work 'over the top' if you know what you're doing!

mike mccormick likes this.
  17. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

I guess if you took a lefty and made them learn to shoot right sided, they would be one up on right handed people. Ambidextrous is a good thing. Now you have a switch hitting (shooting) soldier.

18. wbm

wbm

Several years ago there was an article in Precision Shooting Magazine about a M1903 in .308...7.62x51. The author was invited to see it in his home town but just figured it was one that had been converted with an aftermarket barrel. When he saw the rifle, he realized that it was not a conversion but an original from Springfield Armory. He called them and they said "there was no such thing." He said well I'm looking at one and gave them the numbers off the weapon. An hour later, the Armory called back and an almost breathless voice said "there were two made as an experiment." No one knew at Springfield what happened with either of them. The owner said the rifle had never been fired and that it had belonged to his father.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  19. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

but he use a conversion with his Annie.

anderson.jpg

ragsflh likes this.
  20. RustyMetal

Is it possible to change the '03a3 bolt handle to a Remington Sniper style bolt handle with the long cylindrical knob?
    I seriously doubt it, but I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.