Any shotgunners here?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by TrxR, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

CZ makes some killer shotguns that won't break the bank. Love our CZs. Top notch quality at a much better price point.

My son and I shoot clays all the time. We have our own thrower and purchase shotgun shells by the case (250). I use a 12 gauge, he has a 20 gauge. Honestly, there's NO advantage to my 12 gauge over his 20 when shooting clays. My shoulder is just more sore when we get done shooting. I'm actually thinking about getting myself a 20 gauge after seeing how well his shoots.

Rsadams likes this.
  2. johara1

johara1

Every one hit on the what fits you deal, very true.... the Beretta auto in left hand will and can be adjusted to fit anyone, You cannot do that with an o/u with out a ton of money. Add the price of the gun and if you are left handed you are SOL. without big bucks. All the normal o/u are kickers Browning, Beretta kick you in the face and to get one in left hand you will hunt for a long time to find one. Kreighoff is a good gun and big bucks.... no better shooting than a Beretta auto .... jim

Regnar likes this.
  3. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I can't add much to the long range shooting part of the site as a real nubie, but I have been shooting competitive shotguns since the 60s.

I have O/Us, SxSs, Pumps and Autoloaders. For trap and skeet (as well as sporting clays and 5 stand) you will find that O/Us rule the day. Not that autos don't shoot any worse, they shoot just as good as my K-80s, but throwing empties is one of the pet peeves of many trap shooters and for me the cycling of the action and throwing of the empty is a distraction in doubles. Shooting clays normally means a lot more rounds fired than for a hunting gun. Pumps, though they were popular for skeet in the early days (Model 12 Winchesters especially), pumping is too much to remember these days so not so good for doubles, though if you are only going to shoot singles in trap, you will do just as well with a pump Remington 870 trap gun for a lot less money.

In the under $2K range, I would lean toward used guns that are proven to make it through 10s of thousands of rounds. As mentioned, the Beretta 682 and Browning Citories are amoung those. Keep in mind that the desired Point of Impact for trap gun is different than that for a skeet gun, so if you are using one only, get one with an adjustable comb. An adjustable rib would also be a benefit, but most of the O/Us with adjustable ribs will be over your budget even used.

You could buy two autoloaders for under $2K - and have them set up for eash POI. Remington 1100 Sportings are popular and than you don't have to mess with changing locations of adjustable combs. They are available in left hand versions.

A neutral cast will allow you to shoot left handed (make up for it by offset of the adjustable comb) and sell it later to a right handed or left handed shooter.

The newer 682 and Citori's have screw in chokes. 682 Golden E, Citori XT, Speacial Sporting etc. You might find a good deal on a slightly used Browning Crossover.

Jaqua's in Finley Ohio and Southwest Shooter's Supply in Phonex, both have a lot of used guns and though you will pay a little more than if you buy from the users, these stores, as well as others, will give you solid information and condition reports and are reputable to deal with. Give Bruce Kinkner a call at Southwest and he will talk to you for hours about shot guns.

All this being said, a lot depends on if you want to shoot serious clays as FIT is the number one area required for success. A good shotgun smith can help set up a gun for you, but nothing beats borrowing some guns to try first, especially on a patterning board. Most guys I have met at the local clays ranges are happy to help. Most will be happy to have you shoot their guns. Saves a lot of money in the long run when you buy something that turns out not to be the right one for you.

From a gauge standpoint, my best averages are in 20 gauge, followed by 28 and then 12. I never thought that I was recoil adverse, but apparently I am more than I know. Depending on how heavy a gun you can tolerate, a 12 qauge with light loads will work as pointed out and you can always add 11 ounces and a set of ultra light tubes in 20 or 28 or .410 if and when you want to. If you want a lighter gun, then a 20 gauge on a 20 gauge frame might be the best bet as you can also shoot 1 ounce 20 gauge in 12 gauge events.

Bob

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Jdne5b and lawman29 like this.
  4. mikeinct

mikeinct

Go to your club & shoot a few rounds with different shotguns before you buy..They may have a few listed for sale at the club..Don't rush into this..Everyone is opinionated..Your opinion is the one that matters..The fit & feel is very important to good scores...Get comfortable with your gun & you will be happy...mike in ct

Gun Smith and JRS like this.
  5. jackson1

jackson1

I shoot around 5000 trap and skeet targets a year. The gun you choose is far less important than learning to shoot your gun well. That said, through out my life I used several shot guns. Starting with a Model 12 trap and an Auto 5. Went on to over and under's. Spent the majority of my life using Browning's. Currently shooting a 682 Gold E Trap and a 692 skeet (Beretta's). I am a rifle guy, but try to shoot roughly 3 days per week, just for fun, no registered or leagues. Number of my friends are competitors. A close friend begun seriously shooting a year ago and is already very good. He uses a Browning CS series over and under (mainly), for both trap and skeet, and is approaching 9000 trouble free targets. Many of my friends use semi custom shot guns, but at the end of the day, a shooter than knows his gun (regardless of the price and brand) will get further.

6. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I've observed skeet and trap from a distance it appears as the custom shotguns are very popular and pricey.
    I for one have always liked the Browning in 12 gauge
    Perhaps I'll set my Winchester model 12 aside one day as it's getting old( vintage 1927)
    Although it still shoots good it's not very attractive, I don't suppose the Ducks killed cared one way or another!
    Good shopping to ya'
    J

7. Comrade Terry

Comrade Terry Gold $$ Contributor

I'll take it! Right now!

SPJ likes this.
  8. johara1

johara1

There is only a few shot guns that are fully adjustable for a left hand shooter for less than 2000.00 list that comes extended choke tubes is the Beretta A 400. auto loader .....O/U are a pipe dream for 2000.00 plus non adjustable. Get one with an adj. comb and that one gun will shoot sporting, skeet and trap..... Take a look at one and compare what you get for the money, it is the only one that can be made to fit you, and you don't need some high price BS. artist to tell you what you need. ...jim

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  9. hunter243sgk

hunter243sgk

I only shot for fun in good ol boy shoots, but I always liked the old Ithaca 37s. Yes I know that is not considered a trap or skeet gun but I sure liked it!!

10. mikeinct

mikeinct

I still like mine [Model 37] more than 40 years & going strong..A 20 Ga. featherlite raised rib model...Mike in Ct

11. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

If your going to shoot trap, doubles is the last game you'll learn. A Browning BT99 single will do everything you need for a long time. Plenty of 27 yard shooters still use them. Get a 34" with an adjustable comb and choke tubes.

AA27AA MX2000RS P gun

12. johara1

johara1

Try using any of the above on skeet or trap doubles or Sporting clays or five stand.... but the Bereta auto will and has won major tournaments. The guys using high end o/u are getting them free... along with the shells..... jim

13. Regnar

Regnar Silver $$ Contributor

All very good points except one, you can shoot trap guns in skeet. in fact, many new competion shotguns are comig set up as a trap gun.

When i got onto competive skeet shooting 25 years ago I eas fortunate to have a good mentor. He shot a tubed 682x with the tall rib. I ended up buyiing one with a carrier barrel. there are at least 3 allamericans from New england who shoot 682x's.

14. TrxR

TrxR

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the information. I realized I shoot benchrest with a guy heavy into trap and double trap which is shot at my local club. He offered to help when the time comes.

15. Skeet69

Skeet69 Silver $$ Contributor

One of the B guns, take your pick, my choice has been Browning for over 30 years. You'll get a great price on resale if you decide to sell one day, too.
    Mike B

16. johara1

johara1

Remember, the guy shoots trap only ? that is mounted gun everything is going away and the doubles go the same every time, Sporting and Skeet are completely different game. All you need for trap is a gun with a higher impact but a dedicated trap gun will not work anywhere else. I have a CG. impact o/u that has an adjustable rib and comb works good everywhere, So does my K80 low rib with an adjustable comb and kicks the least of my doubles. The Beretta A400 left hand with the adjustable comb is a soft kicker,will work anywhere even trap with a shell catcher, but a whole lot cheaper. you can run a shorter barrel in an auto due to the action length added rib length...... don't get stuck in the American trap only thing that is an very easiest of the disciplines,You have to run 500 straight to do anything. Sporting is the hardest but the most fun and you never see a 100, 5 stand is great fun an we have them inside for the winter you shoot out of large windows so no snow some heat and no rain..Sporting you move around the course and shoot the different set ups and is changed all the time and use all the chokes you have , skeet will give you all the different shots you will get for any hunting situation. Trap is trap no more no lessened it is the same week after week, the only thing that changes it is the wind...... we buy shot by the ton and use hydraulic presses, this isn't my first rodeo.... jim

Regnar likes this.
  17. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

All good points in the above post. If you only shoot skeet, you can get a gun set up for skeet and have at it. Same if you only shoot trap. As pointed out though you need to have something with all the adjustments if you want to shoot all the disciplines and you will spend a lot of time re-setting those as you change game.

I am not a big fan of the hardware that Browning uses for their Adjustable Combs, but you can pick up a used O/U and have an after market adjustable comb added that has the hardware to make the changes of the comb pretty effortless.

I also have a Summit Impact, Type "S" Skeet tube set and with the adjustable rib and comb, you can set it up pretty much for anything, though I wish I had put an Ascent Sporting (More drop) on the gun, which had been suggested by CG when I was fitted for the gun, instead I had my buttstock shaved 3/16s. The only thing I do not like is that the rib design on the CG, bends the rib if you make large adjustments and it takes getting used to.

My K-80 is a pro-Skeet also with an adjustable comb an rib. Neither of these shoot any better than my old 1970s Browning Citori fitted with an adjustable butt stock and modified for thin wall screw ins. Same is tru for my 1990s era Beretta 682 Skeet 4 barrel set.

Bob

18. TrxR

TrxR

I did some research about the shoots in my area and it seems pretty much all the clubs only shoot trap. So that will probably go thar route.

19. johara1

johara1

Then just get an old BT99 used some where or if you can find the old Remington singles, they were a tank..... Then trade it in on a o/u later. lol.... jim

Regnar likes this.
  20. TrxR

TrxR

Ive been looking at them. The guy i shoot with has one he shoots singles with but they do shoot doubles a few times a year.