Any shotgunners here?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by TrxR, Jul 5, 2018.

1. TrxR

TrxR

If a person was going to get into shooting some trap and skeet mainly for fun and some local club level comps . What would a good quality under 2000 used O/U with interchangeable chokes be? Also what gauge would you recommend? Also how much of a difference does being a lefty shooter make in shotguns? Is there a dedicated left or right shotgun?

If need be do you know of any other forums that might be more dedicated to shotguns?

Thanks

2. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

A Beretta or Browning should come in under your budget and they are both good guns. If you are only going to have one, a 12 Ga will be the most practical. You can (most always) load them down for reduced recoil. Yes they generally come with right hand cast stocks. Both Beretta and Browning furnish left hand models but they can be hard to find. Occasionally you'll find one with a straight stock (neither cast on or off) that a lefty can work with OK.
    https://www.trapshooters.com/
    https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/
    are a couple worth looking at. Finally I'll plug this book. I think it could be helpful.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1523365439/?tag=accuratescom-20
    Cheers

3. Charles

Charles Gold $$ Contributor

Agree with above,and they can be repaired

4. TrxR

TrxR

What model O/U's should i be looking at from Beretta and Browning?

5. johara1

johara1

If you are left handed I would go with new Beretta auto loader, the loading port is on the other side. The stock is fully adjustable left and right and up and down. Then get a shell catcher if you mind picking them up. I have owned every over and under and you don't shoot any better than you do with a auto loader. Put the money into shells and have fun.... jim

Urv likes this.
  6. johara1

johara1

the reason for the left port is in the summer the hot unburnt powder will burn your arm and at night you are blinded by the flash. I shot a left hand 1100 Remington without issue for years. port was on the left I tried to shoot a right port Beretta and soon sold it. Over and under are big money and kick the shit out of you. Skeet, sporting and Trap you use one gun if you have and adjustable comb. I also shot 1oz. loads....... jim

butchlambert likes this.
  7. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Take a look at a Ruger O/U (if you can find ) or a Winchester 101 O/U. I just bought the Winchester and it is sweeet.

SenderoMan likes this.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins

Beretta 682 is the target O/U and is widely available in trap, skeet or sporting clay iterations.

9. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

you can find decent used Browning Citori's for around $1500 and significantly less if you can tolerate a few nicks and dings. Make sure you have at least 28" barrels and 30" or even 32" if you can find them. I shot one at our local skeet club, twice a week for over 25 years; lost track of the number of rounds put through that thing and it's still fairly tight.

10. HTSmith

I prefer the 682 also, but they may be a bit over budget

11. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

Opinions are just that. Find what suits your purpose, and FITS, or can be made to fit. Go to a store and look for left hand O/U's if you can find any, and look at a Franchi Affinity left hand in 12 ga. The Franchi is made in the same plant as the Benelli's in Italy and is light like a Benelli, inertia action like a Benelli, but the recoil spring is in the forend instead of the stock which makes adjustment of the stock simpler. It is very light (6 lbs. 8 ozs.), so you may want to shoot lighter loads (mine cycles 1 oz like a dream) or it will kick the snot out of you. There are different length and gel butt pads available, and once you get it adjusted to you it shoots exactly where you look. Midwest Gun Works has factory barrels all the other parts and Briley has every choke configuration known to man in the Beretta Mobil Choke (which is what it uses). Black synthetic stock is $799 all the time and less on sale. I own a 12 and 20 right hand in Max5 Camo with 26" and 28" barrels for the 12, and one of these days I'll buy a 28" for the 20 gauge. Dirt reliable, simple, and not nearly as expensive as my O/U's, or any of the Benelli's including the M2. Unbelievable value for a Benelli type semi-auto. All the other non Benelli's of similar design are made in Turkey (Stoeger, Weatherby, etc.). The main reason I love my (heavy to me) Cynergy CX is that it can be converted from ejectors to extractors quickly and simply and that's great for bird hunting where the landowners don't want a lot of hulls in their fields (cattle ingest them in Texas where people have dove hunted and it causes intestinal blockages). Best wishes and good shooting to you whatever you do.

CoyoteTan likes this.
  12. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

Check out a Browning Cynergy

13. Rsadams

Rsadams

Save up and buy a good one , the cheaper models are known for not holding up or their value... A Beretta or Browning is what your looking for...

Shootlikeawoman likes this.
  14. Regnar

Regnar Silver $$ Contributor

What you buy means zero to how well you can shoot on shotgun sports. the only thing that matters is that the gun fits you. yoy either get lucky or have it fit to you.

A mosberg 500 shoots as accuretly as a Kriegoff K80 supet scroll. What you get in price is quality and reliability. i like any of the Italian guns. they fit me well and the feel like a sportscar in my hands. some like the german guns. to me they feel like a mack truck. same goes for the kolars.

As to gauge. if your shooting any amount trap, go with the 12. if mostly shooting skeet go with a 20ga.

In that price point you may find a tubed set. if so, shoot 28ga for skeet and 12 for trap.

OmegaRed and JRS like this.
  15. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

"A mosberg 500 shoots as accuretly as a Kriegoff K80 supet scroll. What you get in price is quality and reliability."
    Most of the time that's true. There are tons of people out there that have found that some of the Benelli Super Black Eagles will NOT pattern to within 6" of point of aim, and Benelli is very rarely replacing any of them for owners under warranty. Another forum has tons of posts and pattern results by some very knowledgeable people in the shotgun world to support it. Other Benelli's not really any problem, but I wouldn't care for a SBE anyway. Fit IS the important part with a shotgun.

16. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

Beretta. For all the reasons above. cast on, cast off. Get it bent to fit when ya get into it.
    You, or your kids won't wear it out.

17. TrxR

TrxR

I guess If I decide to splurge im going to have to find a dealers with some different ones in stock and maybe show up at a couple of local matches with one of the locals and see what there.

18. greisdor

greisdor Silver $$ Contributor

A shotgun is only as good as it fits you ! A 1500.00 gun that fits you will out shoot a perazzi that doesn’t fit you any day of the week.

Take the time to find one that shoots where you see the clays fly - point and shoot wins !

JR

JRS likes this.
  19. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Fit, well made correct choke, and proper load for whatever you are shooting.

20. HTSmith

Good plan