Any one know the name "Nagy"?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by joshb, Sep 10, 2017.

1. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I'm just coming back from a wedding in Kerrville, Texas. While it was nice to see family, the highlight of the weekend was starting a conversation with another guest. We started talking about hobbies. Usually, I mention I'm into "accurate shooting" and eyes glaze over. Turned out that he runs a hunting camp and shoots for fun. His name is Joe Nagy. I mentioned that I was getting into Benchrest shooting. He smiled and started telling me stories about his father and the "old days", shooting and working with Sinclair, Culver and some others whose names I didn't know. Before I knew it, a few hours had passed. My wife started grumbling and we had to go. I could have listened for the rest of the evening. Joe mentioned that his Dad had set a record or two. I got back to my room and searched the Internet but didn't find much info. Any one know a little history they want to share? Thanks, Josh:)

2. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, but I never met the man. He wrote some for Precision Shooting magazine. If you can find a copy of The Benchrest Primer you can read some of his work (I believe). Here is a link to a google search that should give you a lot to read about him. He did some of the earliest published tests of Krieger barrels being used for short range benchrest. https://www.google.com/search?q=Gez...rFQKHZhsBksQ_AUICSgA&biw=1400&bih=686&dpr=1.2

Richard Jones likes this.
  3. Hal

Hal

I remember him writing about getting some barrels scanned and reporting how uniform the twist rate was for the length of the barrels.
    His work was always well worth reading.

Hal

4. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

Geza Nagy wrote some very good articles for PS back in the 80's. I remember one article he did, when testing brass, he marked the back of a business card into 9 squares and shot a five shot group in each of the squares. It impressed me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    joshb and gotcha like this.
  5. gotcha

gotcha

I'd be hard pressed to do that on a license plate sized business card :D

6. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft Gold $$ Contributor

Kerrville is along way from Delaware

7. Mark204

Mark204

My first thought was my ex-wife.............but that's nagging.......................sorry.

Mark

savagedasher and joshb like this.
  8. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

He was a regular contributor to PS late 80's and 90's. He was an experimenter and a techical guy whose stuff was always a good read. he was heavy in the "respond to letters' column too, and appeared to me to be one of the main guys in the PS mag at the time.

Thanks to a member here I have a stack (or three) of PS in the "room" that I refer to when pre-occupied.

9. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

I tried to scan an article by Geza from 1994. He has passed away, but his writings live on. James PTDC0043.JPG PTDC0043.JPG PTDC0045.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  10. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I have a few PS magazines with articles by Geza Nagy. He was a very good writer and his articles had many great tips.

Paul

Richard Jones likes this.
  11. snert

I found his "Left the Range" article in PS.July 1995

12. snert

I think I mentioned before...nothing makes me realize that I lost 20 some years to my career than reading an old PS (I am stuck in 1990) seeing a great article, thinking "gee I would love to meet that guy" and then finding out he passed away 25 years ago. Time waits for no man.

snert

gotcha and Steve morgan like this.
  13. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I did some more research on him. I found the obituary of Geza Nagy. Survived by three children, one of which was Steve Nagy. If my cloudy memory serves me, Joe mentioned his father's name was Steve. Guess that puts him as Geza's grandson. I'll search some more. Thanks for the input, every body. Special thanks to James for the article!

14. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Home to Mooney Aircraft. An 11 hour jaunt, I flew to a few homecomings down there. The hill country is the nicest part of Texas. :D

15. dedeadeye

dedeadeye Gold $$ Contributor

I remember Geza very well from the 80's. He attended most IBS score matches back then at Mainville, Council Cup, York, Bowmanstown etc. His passion for rifle accuracy was only matched by his huge smile. I will always remember after a match a group of us accuracy freaks would sit on the benches and discuss the day and all the latest poop. He was hungry for every tidbit of info to possibly try sometime later. His writings were most excellent and very informative. Think of him and all the old boys often.
    Roger Gower