Any guitar players here?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by jonbearman, Oct 11, 2017 at 2:05 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

Sad news as Carvin amps is going under and they are offering everything at 25% off all sales final. I cant understand how this can happen as their products are top notch. I know this isnt guns but I am sure there are musicians amongst us. If this doesnt meet the criteria then delete this Forum boss but it just upset me as yet another made in usa company failed again.I hope it isnt a trend that will affect the firearms industry.

JLT likes this.
  2. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I haven't played through a Carvin in years. Good time to give them a look but I wish it were under different circumstances.

My Hiwatt just won't quit, though. I've had it since '79.

3. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I have A Peavy amp. But if I bought something else it would be a Marshall

Sniper338 likes this.
  4. Dos XX

Dos XX Russell Myers Gold $$ Contributor

Electric guitar sales are down. I don't think modern music is as guitar oriented like it was back in the days of my youth. The direct sales model worked for them for a long time. Seems like you need to be in a big box store now, and that model likely cuts your profit margins by a lot.

I have never owned a piece of Carvin sound equipment or guitar. I have played some of it over the years. It never made me go buy any of it, however.

Vox AC15 and a Deluxe Reverb here.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 10:53 PM
    swd likes this.
  5. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

I started out playing Fender in the 60’s. Went to Marshall and stayed there! Groove Tubes n all !

6. Tommie

Tommie Silver $$ Contributor

Another Vox owner here. I never played good enough to justify a better amp. But it’s sad to learn of another USA-made product going down the tubes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 7:08 PM
  7. pburr

pburr

Reeves custom based on Hiwatt with a Marshall half stack and a Vox AC30

8. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

I wanna buy a Paul reed smith custom 24... and a new amp set up. $$$$ tho... and guns take up a lot of it...

9. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

20160904_102903a.jpeg I have a Fender Custom Shop Bass rig for sale and i can't get anyone to bite on it.. it is so rare.. Only 61 amps were made, 181 of the full range and 153 of the subs.. It is truly a Ampeg slayer!

varminthunter1 and JLT like this.
  10. GaryL1959

GaryL1959 Silver $$ Contributor

Really hate to hear that. I'm not much of an 'electric' guy, but do have a couple. My taste runs more to the acoustic / bluegrass side...got disgusted with the "worlds finest guitar" company's politics, and sold all of theirs that I owned and started building my own... IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0007.JPG

11. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

They could not afford to continue competing with China and Mexico. The guitar side of the business will continue, at least for now.

12. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

My son has a PRS. Bought it a few years after they went into business.. He uses a Mesa Boogie setup. The PRS is a sweet player. Love it. I have a 51 Gibson 125, a 62 Strat, and a home made Les Paul clone. Back in the day everyone lusted after a Strat and a Fender Dual Showman setup.. I always wanted a Les Paul but it never happened..

13. Huntschool

Huntschool

If I still had my Jazz Bass's (one standard, 60's and one fretless from back in the day) and was playing, I would jump all over that rig.

Bruce A. Hering
    Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
    Shotgun Team Coach
    Southeastern Illinois College
    SCTP Collegiate Coaches Chairman
    NSCA Level III

USMCDOC likes this.
  14. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

We tell the front desk we are in a band when we check into motels and they ask what the long black cases are holding.

Snuggie and JLT like this.
  15. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

Must be Spinal Tap..

16. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

i would meet you in the middle so there wouldn't shipping issues

17. ebb

ebb

Gary L what is the worlds finest guitar? My cousin played blue grass with a bunch of friends from Johnson City Tenn. He was queer for a Gibson, but he also had a Santa Cruz that sounded just as good to me.

18. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve had Fenders and a PRS but nothing has the tone of a Les Paul. It’s body mass gives the natural sustain that cannot be beat! My first was a 69 “fretless wonder”, my latest I bought in 85. That coupled with the Marshall is pure joy!

19. Huntschool

Huntschool

Wish I was still in the game. Sold everything years ago. I really miss it. Cant stand much of this new stuff. At 70 years old I now just listen and critique..... Lots.

Growing up just across the Hudson River from NYC we had Manney's, Jimmey's and Ponties all on one street and virtually across the street from each other. Prices were great and you never knew who you were gonna see in any of them when ya walked in. I played Ampeg Porta flex and then went to Fender custom with dual showman cabnets one with twin 15's and the other with six 10's and two boosted heads. Our electronics guy was going to RCA institute in NY and was a wizard with that stuff. Also played a bit with the Standels (first solid state amp) when they first came out but at the time I thought they were too "treble" sounding. Remember at that time everyone was using flat wound strings and looking for that mellow sound. Even tried some hollow body stuff but kept coming back to my Fenders. Now, with the live electronics and all the peddles I dont think I would know what to do........ LOL

Bruce A. Hering
    Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
    Shotgun Team Coach
    Southeastern Illinois College
    SCTP Collegiate Coaches Chairman
    NSCA Level III

USMCDOC likes this.
  20. GaryL1959

GaryL1959 Silver $$ Contributor

Without actually naming names, the self proclaimed 'world's finest guitars' are built in Pennsylvania by a company whose initials are 'CFM'. They are fine instruments and are world reknown, not only in the bluegrass world, but all types of music. Its the owners' liberal politics that turned me away and caused me to sell off several of their guitars.

Santa Cruz builds some killer stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.