Any clue where to get a bolt for this?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by joshb, Apr 24, 2019.

1. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

A friend was given this, without a bolt. I’ve never seen this kind of rifle. Any info would help!
    14DBBB2F-0C2D-4EBF-875D-89C9D5E853BF.jpeg D9BB72C6-ACC5-4C43-B57F-03AA6EA6A432.jpeg 1E4528AB-47DD-4CD6-9CD7-981B592A5108.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

what rifle, must belong to the invisible man.

joshb and madmixerman like this.
  3. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Mosin Nagant , pretty cheap as bolts go . They use to be $30 now about $80 , at Sarco. If it's not butchered it's worth it .

Zero333 likes this.
  4. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Now I see the other pic . It's been butchered, cut , painted , etc . Usually the bores are well shot out . Only ones that the USA made and didn't deliver are usually in Like New conditions.

5. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter Silver $$ Contributor

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  6. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, it appears that it was sporterized. Might have been done because that was all that was affordable at the time. Looks like later on an aftermarket stock was added. Once had a Swede 96 that someone had rebarrel and took a saw and rasp to the stock. I used it that way for several years and it was a dang fine shooter in 6.5-55 Swede. Put a Boyds walnut stock on it 20 years ago and looked pretty good. Finally sold it to a guy that just had to have it and I'm happy to say he is delighted with the purchase. Puts three in under a 1/2".
    Wandered off a bit, but the story might be of some interest on that Mosin Nagant.

7. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Chip Hailstone is on the reality show-Life Below Zero. He is also a member of the 24hr Campfire forum. They own a lot of rifles, but the Moison Nagant is their favorite for accuracy, cold weather hunting, and reliability. On one of his post's he gave the particular model that they like. I think it was a Swedish version.

8. joshb

Thanks to all. Here’s the story: We took the day to go visit an old neighbor of ours that just had quadruple bypass surgery. Rudy is in his 90’s. Retired Marine, Police chief and all around great guy. He still puts out his flags everyday and cuts his own grass.
    During our visit, his son (who is staying with him during his recovery) pulled out a gun case and asked me what to do. He was given the gun by the wife of an old friend that passed.
    I took a minute and posted the pics. I told Rudy and Eric that “I know some guys on my favorite forum will know all about it”
    You guys really came thru and made me proud! After we finished lunch, I read them your responses. They were stunned that you guys responded so quickly!
    Thanks again, guys!
    Eric is going to bring the gun up, after his father is better. I’ll give it a good scrub and borescope it. If the barrel looks ok, I’ll find a bolt for it. The stock is an aftermarket composite but I don’t think the barrel was cut down. It’s pretty long and the front site looks original.
    2A5EEDE3-E9BC-410F-A64B-5CB8711EF6AC.jpeg

Bc'z, Lone Hunter and timeout like this.
  9. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Nice shoes....

natdscott, Lone Hunter and DickE like this.
  10. nicholst55

nicholst55 Brass Whore

11. xring

xring Silver $$ Contributor

Josh , there is a new Site ( not open yet ) you might want to sign-up for : www.mosinnagant.com . My first Centerfire was a Nagant Model 1891/30 . Military Ammo was very tough to find and quite a few Rounds would'nt even Fire ! I think I Paid $9.95 ( or maybe even a whopping $12.95 ) for it Mail Order in those long gone days . I turned it into a very humble Sporter and Sold it soon after .

Zero333 and joshb like this.
  12. 406pat

406pat

You should take a look at this website to get some more information. If the barrel hasn't been cut on that thing could be worth something to the right collector.
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

joshb likes this.
  13. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire Gold $$ Contributor

I have a stock i believe belongs to it. Owner just last week said toss it out. I can send a pic tomorrow if you want.
    Price?
    Pay shipping cost is all.
    Tom

Bc'z and joshb like this.
  14. joshb

I’m still trying to figure out how, in all my years, I never handled a Nagant.

15. joshb

Well Tom,
    I don’t see how I can turn that offer down!:) Thanks!

16. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire Gold $$ Contributor

Friend Dave messed with a couple. Left it behind. Found behind a tool chest at work. Pics tomorrow.

17. simo hayha

simo hayha

Sestroryetsk. Most likely a 91model because of the date

One of the originals.

Ggmac and joshb like this.
  18. xring

xring Silver $$ Contributor

I believe the Barrels were 29 inches except for the Carbine which was 20.2 inches long . I don't remember much from those old days , but picture this : I'm out hunting as a little kid with this Nagant . I'm up on a high plateau in deep Snow and I spot this Skunk . I shoot once and miss as I'm huffing & puffing walking thru the Snow . The Skunk takes off running with me in hot pursuit . I gain on the Skunk , pull the Nagant up to shoot and all I hear is a CLICk ! Darn dud Ammo . I decide Discretiion is the better part of Valor and run in the opposite direction . The Skunk lives to fight another day .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    joshb and DickE like this.
  19. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

And since it was manufactured before 1899, it's not considered a firearm by law.

20. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Nice old rifle .Hex receiver Mosin ,hex are regarded as good quality in the Mosin world . My Son has a 91/30 from in between the wars (1923?),very good shooter. Bore diameter can be all over the map,easy enough to slug the barrel and load accordingly .

A little info here...http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinReceiver.htm