Anschutz 54 or Winchester 52c

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Trolley, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Trolley

Trolley

Hello to all from the birthplace of the Nation and William Penn's Greene Country Towne.

This is my 1st thread. I've made a small donation to get me started on the right foot.

I am 99% a S&W revolver accumulor. I have two safes of revolvers.

Now I am ready for 22 rimfire. This will my first rifle other than my WWII M1 Carbine. My local gunssmith/gunshop is becoming an Anschutz authorized dealer. He is ordering for me a new 64 MPR

However I am looking to buy at the same time a used Ans 54 with custom thumb hole stock. Single shot, have no idea of the age. It reportedly has a upgraded precision action..

[​IMG]

Or the seller also has a Winchester 52C for sale. Again, a very old gun. Maybe 60s to 80s.

[​IMG] https://i.imgur.com/D5MV7vl.jpg[/IMG]

What might be a fair value of each of these rifles.

What do I need to look for? Without any history for the gun how do I discount for wear etc? Any pointers, suggestions will be appreciated. I need information before I make a choice on one or the other of the two used rifles. BTW a trade will be involved.

Trolley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    64 MPR Walnut
    SKU: 009977
    $1,599.00

Caliber: .22lr

System: 64 bolt action repeater, 5098 two-stage trigger, blued finish.

Weight: 8 lbs, 7 oz.

Barrel Length: 25.5" heavy barrel, with 11mm dovetail sight provision.

Magazine Capacity: 5

Stock Style: Walnut Beavertail , adjustable butt plate, accessory rail on bottom, extended magazine release and a steel bolt kno

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Ggmac

Ggmac

Winchesters are only worth premium if original . They are excellent shooters so you could find a deal but don't look for a quick sale after done with it . Annys are always good , a great deal can be usually had on a Walther of equal accuracy to the Annys . Walthers generally are 2/3 the price .
    The H&R 12 or 5200 are great solid single shot rifles . Usually in the $500 range , stocks are bulky but having wood to remove is better than trying to add it .
    Kimber 82 are hit or miss and not as solid as the H&R . Single cocking pin , which tends to wear . Barrels were so so , but they do look better ( who cares )
    If you plan on bench rest , bite the bullet and go custom .
    Lots of good reading in Bill Calfees book and great deals on used rifles at Shooters corner in NJ

3. drover

drover

The pictured Anschutz has been restocked with a Fajen silhouette stock. That will bring the price down to basically being worth the price of the barreled action, original Anschutz stocks are available but can be very pricey, also there is fair chance that the barrel has had a lot of rounds through it since it appears to have been used for silhouette competition.

drover

4. dickn52

dickn52 Silver $$ Contributor

Opinion only. The 52 is a more robust action. Tye Annie 54 is in my opinion one of the best actions they have made so far. So, toss a coin. Of course in the 52, you have multiple versions. I have 3 D models and each shoots very well.

5. 55fairlane

55fairlane

My opinion only.....the 52 is an entry-level gun as compared to the Annie 54 .....the Annie offers thee best trigger ,and was bread for top performance ( you don't see an Winchester or CZ in the winners circle at the Olympics)
    Yes the stock is aftermarket, but if done right will work just fine....

The 64 Annie also has a very good trigger, and I personally would pick over the Winchester, I started shooting 3P with a 52, but quickly moved to an Anschutz.....

I like the 52, but I feel the 54 is a much better rifle

Aaron

6. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Only a few comments on the Anschutz-

If you know the serial number (or approximate serial number) you can find out the age of the rifle. If it is a real oldie, and possibly a club rifle in Europe, your barrel might very well be at the end of its accurate life which means it will need to be replaced. I don't see the asking price for the Anschutz 54 but do a little math and price out a new one. Unless my information is outdated, it is going to have the 5018 trigger ( a honey down to 3 oz. pull ). With a new barrel on the used rifle you might be within hailing distance on the price of a new Anschutz 54 instead of buying a pig in a poke.

7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Can you get a three day inspection or recent targets with the Annie? Although it doesn't really prove the rifle will be accurate, I would want a borescope look-see before plunking down my money. Used firearms can be a rabbit hole.