Another “What Mill” Thread

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Bully, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Bully

Bully Silver $$ Contributor

I sold a few guns and have the money to buy a milling machine.
    On the table:
    Clausing 8520 with a set of er32 collets and adapter

Or

Precision Matthews PM727-V

Thoughts?

Rifle and light pistol work, all at a hobby level.

2. rgc54

rgc54 Silver $$ Contributor

If the clausing is in good shape of the two I would go with the 8520. The knee is a big plus, if I remember that model has a knee.

3. RussellJ

RussellJ Silver $$ Contributor

Clausing is in Kalamazoo, Michigan close to where I live. I have been making a living selling cutting tools sense 1983 and have customers that own the Clausing mills.

4. Bully

It does have a knee.

5. rgc54

rgc54 Silver $$ Contributor

Take a dial indicator and stand and check spindle runout and x and y backlash. Also run machine on hi belt speed and low for noise and vibration

6. tobnpr

tobnpr

Condition of the old Clausing is paramount- check backlash, table play and alignment etc with indicators. Having an "odd" spindle (I think those are morse taper #2) is a big drawback when it comes to finding tooling though.

I'd go with an R8 spindle. If you have the space for a full-size machine like a BP, consider that route. Can be had for a few grand and will be easier to tool up, plus be able to handle anything that can come up. In a home shop, three phase machines can be easily run off a vfd.

Ramblerman likes this.
  7. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

R-8 only . Don't look back .

shortgrass and carlsbad like this.
  8. Bully

Clausing is a MT2. Comes with a complete set of ER32 collets and adapter. Additionally there are several MT2 collets that come with the machine as well.
    Has power feed "y" (that's left to right, correct?) and a small vise. He wants 2k for everything.

9. AlaBusa

AlaBusa

X is left right. Y is forward and back.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  10. Gun Smith

Gun Smith Gold $$ Contributor

I've owned an 8620 Clausing since 1976. Was like new when I got it, and it has been a great little machine. It has it's limits though. Changing speeds is a painful, slow process, and oiling it is time consuming, and the oil does not stay put very long. The #2 Morse is OK up to 1/2", but you can get adaptors to hold bigger cutters. Cranking the table up and down is a pain. I built a motorized lifter for mine. Parts could be a problem.

That PM looks like a nice rig, with variable speed. PM has a good reputation as a company from what I've read. Cranking the head up and down could be iffy with the handle on the left side? I'd go with the Matthews myself, as the R8 collets and variable speed is nice. Best of
    luck whatever you get, and have fun!

Ramblerman likes this.
  11. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

Gotta agree with this and say that R8 tooling will make life a lot easier... availability and price...that's why even the smallest of PMs machines have it...I wouldn't go any other way..if you got room though, get a used knee mill, Bridgeport or clone with the dros already on it...about the same money as a 727 if you shop around.

12. Bully

Thank you. I'm not a machinist, obviously.
    The B-port would be nice however moving them is not. Hence looking for something a bit smaller.

AlaBusa likes this.
  13. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Whatever you do, make sure you get DRO.

If ordering the PM, spend the extra money for the DRO to be installed prior to shipping. If you go with the used Clausing, look into installing DRO as soon as you get it. You'll never regret spending money on DRO.

Gun Smith likes this.
  14. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

I totally understand If you are still "moving around" and trying to stay mobile...but if you are not, don't overlook a knee mill... If you can move a lathe, you can move a mill... caution, buddies, a big budge bar or two and a pallet jack...ymmv vary though. Whatever you end up with, good luck. After you have a mill, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

Gun Smith likes this.
  15. RWO

RWO

If you find a good deal on a BP don't pass it up because you think you can't move it. Hire a professional rigger and he will put it where you want it. They are not that expensive unless you live along way from a city.

RWO

Gun Smith likes this.
  16. Gun Smith

Gun Smith Gold $$ Contributor

For sure, get the DRO for either machine.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  17. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I installed a 3 axis DRO on my PM by myself after the purchase. Total pain in the ass to do. If I was to do it all over, I would have definitely paid them to install it for me before shipping.

If you want DRO and have to install it on the Clausing yourself, that's something to consider because it's not an easy task.

18. Bully

Well...

I spoke to a gentleman about a Bridgeport...

Daveinjax likes this.
  19. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

The Bridgeport isn’t that big of a deal to move. It will be a way more capable machine.

20. tobnpr

tobnpr

It's not nice to tease....