Anneling Cool are not to cool

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by muleman69, Apr 15, 2018.

1. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Is it better to drop cases in a pan of water or just let them cool naturally ? Just thinking the water would cool the web and body a bit quicker or does it matter?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Mine drops in water

3. Bob L.

Bob L. Gold $$ Contributor

It really doesn't matter. I have placed 400 deg. Tempilaq on the outside of many cases and let them cool in ambient air without seeing it melt any farther towards the web after removing the heat source. The air is a huge heat sink and the heat transfer to it dwarfs any heat flow down the brass.
    The only benefit to water cooling is to allow you to handle the cases sooner. The drawback, of course, is having to dry the brass.

Gb300wm, Milo 2.0, muleman69 and 2 others like this.
  4. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

Doesn't matter a bit. All you're doing is cooling them, not quenching or anything that affects the metallurgy. If you get them wet you just have to wait for them to dry, which will probably take longer than just letting them air cool in the first place.

Elwood, spclark, CT10ring and 4 others like this.
  5. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Does not matter.

6. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

I drop mine into a screen type colander to cool

L W P and spclark like this.
  7. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

same here, with a damp paper towel wadded in the bottom. cools quickly, cases stay dry.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Zero333 likes this.
  8. fguffey

fguffey

Muleman69, try to understand many reloaders woke up one day and declared themselves 'annealers'; They have no ideal there were rules to follow when annealing cases in the old days. As time past they never learned the rules or they have forgotten the rules.

So? If you decide to use water in a pan with the cases standing up in the water when annealing understand why you choose to stand the case in the water and if you choose to drop the heated case in water too cool; understand why.

I sat down one day and studied the rules after writing a few rules down a made annealing tools, so simple, so easy. Problem, there are members on reloading forums that get dizzy, out of fear some will go from dizzy to passing out I protect them by not sharing.

F. Guffey

9. muleman69

Guff, not sure I follow your reply? I'm asking a question here?

10. GaryL1959

GaryL1959

Mule, when you start understanding his responses, that's when you need to start worrying! If you ever do figure guffey out, please key the rest of us in...

11. CT10ring

12. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

I know I'm in trouble,I THINK I understood some guff stuff on a different thread and commented about it,may be the end of the world as we know it,,please forgive me,,:confused:

wholman likes this.
  13. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Why do you feel the need to over complicate every aspect of brass prep?

14. muleman69

I hear ya, Had my day all planned out now I'm in a spin :::;;;;"""''''/////?????<<...>>>++==}[[{{}}

15. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Generally, there is no advantage to dropping them in water, with one exception, that would be salt bath annealing, where the water is more about dissolving any of the annealing salt that sticks to the case. You will see this explained starting at about 2:08.

You might want to watch the entire video, it looks like an interesting way to anneal.

Texas10 and muleman69 like this.
  16. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

And would you take ONE GIANT step and share them, with all who are uninformed, confused, or misguided? You said it is just a 'few rules' so it might not me much of an imposition for you.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  17. CT10ring

pretty cool method! (or hot...) interesting that one of the safety caveats is not to allow water to contact, then drops into....water. thx for the look

18. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Guffy's back....where did they put that dam ignore button.

jepp2 likes this.
  19. fguffey

fguffey

I do not feel compelled to complicate anything. The OP asked about cooling cases, one method and or techniques involved dropping cases into a pan of water, I added the part about standing the cases up in the pan of water while annealing; the second method he mentioned was to do nothing. Absent in the responses is the 'WHY?' Why would someone decide to heat the case neck/shoulder first and then drop the case in water . Why would a reloader choose to stand the case in a pan of water and then heat the shoulder/neck first and then kick the case over to cool. And then there has to be some rational for heating the neck/shoulder of the case and then doing nothing but allow time to cool the cases.

Many years ago I started annealing cases, I use steps that are not included because of rules, I studied and searched for rules. I do not believe there is anything wrong with differences, methods and techniques but it seems someone would give a reason for standing cases in water, or dropping in water and or doing nothing. Again, I made tools for annealing, I placed them on the tablet a gun show; not one person that claimed he was a reloader could see how the tool could be used for annealing.

They did want to tell me how they annealed, they could not think of one reason for the method they choose, I made attempts to help them understanding annealing but they choose to choose habits and by the numbers with no rational for reason.

F. Guffey

20. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Steel heat treat is dependent on cooling. Brass is different metallurgy. Brass cannot be hardened by quenching. Brass hardens by working. So after you anneal, it doesn't matter whether you drop in water or let air cool. This is counter intuitive to those who have some knowledge of steel heat treatment so it bears a moment to assimilate.

I find no need to add the mess of wetting the brass. Additionally, whenever I wet brass without removing the primer I want to bake it in the oven to make sure there is no wetness in the primer that could lead to corrosion. So why not just let it air cool. When I anneal 100 cases with the AMP, I do it on the coffee table and drop them into a glass salad/candy bowl that I bought at 99c store. They are very pretty in 2 tone.

--Jerry