annealing new brass

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by 10xsllc, Sep 13, 2019.

1. johara1

johara1

I was trying to fire form Dasher brass from Lapua 6 br. new brass and was loosing 9 out of 10 for a split shoulder. I called the rep. and he said send in the ones with the split shoulders, so what good is an other lot mixed with what formed. so I just annealed them and see what happened a guess the rest of the 1000 never split a shoulder or a neck. They may look good but it is cheap to anneal them first and cut your loses...... but it won't fix the loose primer pockets or the ones that look like a giant pop rivet ...... jim

Jet, dgeesaman and mikeeg02 like this.
  2. 1shot

1shot

This is exactly the scenario that got me annealing all new brass. Forming 6BRX and lost 13 out of 100. I wasn't a happy camper! :mad:

Lloyd

3. fantastic

fantastic

New brass should not need annealing but close inspection is for some mfg. I have found laminated necks while inspecting new brass. I have also found what looks like they have melted the edge of the necks too. I run new brass through the sizer to clean up the damaged necks. Not all mfg anneal after the final step. Depending on the hardness of the brass I've seen some split on the 1st reload. I believe your pushing your luck waiting to anneal at 5-6 loads. I have neighbors coming over to use my annealier since they started splitting necks at 2-3 reloads. It all depends on the quality of the brass and composition.

4. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

My take is the more you stretch it the softer you need it. :}

5. johara1

johara1

No, anneal every time and neck tension will stay very consistent ...... jim

BigKev, 1shot and dogdude like this.
  6. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

Lou Murdica said on Fafebook flame annealing is a complete waste of time. He said (not me) that only the Amp unit anneals properly and from his tests you are better not annealing than flame annealing.

7. urbanrifleman

8. johara1

johara1

I guess if you want to believe it don't do it. First Lou doesn't shoot 1000 br., I would guess I will have stand behind my records and the fact that consistent neck tension is all about vertical. The other other point is those records were shot with brass that was annealed every timed with over 200 firings on them...... jim

jrm850 and mikeeg02 like this.
  9. urbanrifleman

I thought it was an incredibly controversial thing to say... I made no statement as to what is true, simply that he said it. Apparently, he's supposed to be quite accomplished. Just goes to show you that there are a lot of conflicting opinions at the top.

10. johara1

johara1

Short range shooter was Lou's thing. ... jim

11. urbanrifleman

It appears he has branched out. Screenshot_20190923-110227_Chrome.jpg

daleboy likes this.
  12. johara1

johara1

F class, sure isn't bench rest...jim

BartsBullets likes this.
  13. johara1

johara1

A 1/4" minute gun isn't real competitive at BR. 1000..... jim

BartsBullets likes this.
  14. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

15. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

That’s depressing... I’d be elated to shoot a 2.5 inch group at that distance!

tmwinds likes this.
  16. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

I fireformed 95 BRX cases today. Did not lose any. What did I do wrong? I did not anneal first but I do anneal every time I reload.

17. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

You lost the five you didn’t do!

18. johara1

johara1

Nothing wrong but you got some that were anneal properly, just because they look good out of the box doesn't mean they are right. ..... jim

19. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Nothing wrong,you did just fine...all the rest you are reading is just interent speculation.

20. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

Call it what you want. I've split shoulders on new $.85 lapua brass too. I'm not just repeating what Jim said. But Jim has been in the game a very long time. It's worth listening to what he has to offer. And I understand the frustration of losing a few cases of the same lot of brass.