Anneal or not to

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by gatorman, Jul 9, 2012.

1. gatorman

gatorman

Would I benifit by annealing my 308 cases after two fireings or wait
    until the 3rd or 4th fireing? I know some anneal after each fireing.

It is all Winchester brass..And is it really nessacery to emerge the
    cases in water afterwards...I never used the water befor...Thanks

2. markm87

markm87

I anneal every time. I could feel bullet seating tension variations after 1 or 2 firings easily.

No water here. I prefer the brass to temp down in front of a fan. I already have to deal with water in the SS media tumbler... don't want to suffer with it on annealing too.

3. amlevin

amlevin

I just anneal using the torch,socket,cordless drill method and drop the finished case into a stainless steel mixing bowl that my wife hasn't missed yet 8) They cool off nicely in the bowl and after a cup of coffee I can finish prepping the cases.

Rather than trying to keep track of which cases have and have not been annealed, and how many firings between, I just do it every time I process the brass. Seating pressures are nice and uniform and groups are great.

4. markm87

markm87

I just use Nomex flight gloves. 308s can get a little warm at the finger tips, but magnum brass is a breeze.

I anneal on the washing machine, and set the brass on the dryer with a fan blowing on them.

5. TheSnake

TheSnake Site $$ Contributor

Since I got my BenchSource I will be annealing every case every time. I understand from all I have read that as long as you don't get the brass tooooo hot, it can only help. If you have the time and equipment, I say the more often, the better the consistency.

6. spclark

spclark Site $$ Contributor

Let your senses be your guide as to how often to anneal. You're the only one who'll know what the signs are for your needs: inconsistent shoulder set-back, inconsistent neck diameter and bullet seating force are probably the most telling.

Forget the water bath - you don't need it. Air cooling is sufficient with brass.

7. gatorman

gatorman

thanks for the replies...I guess I will anneal mine after every loading then..Maybe my groups will
    improve with a more consistent bullet release..

8. DougMH

DougMH Site $$ Contributor

I anneal every time also. I do it on the cheap. I use Lapua brass (well, that part is not cheap). I've found that rotating 6 seconds in a 1.5" propane flame with the flame cone tip right at the case mouth give me exactly the temperature I need (as measured with tempil sticks). I place the case in a holder that goes into my drill so the case rotates in the flame. The holder sinks heat from the lower part of the case. The "heat line" on my cases falls at exactly the same place as new Lapua brass.

9. markm87

markm87

This sounds like Star Wars Jedi Force stuff... but the feel on your press and other equipment tells you so much.

I mean... I can even feel a tighter neck tension when I'm blowing out bulk ammo on my 550b.... and I'll pull that round out of the batch and scrutinize it big time.

10. Roarke

Roarke

Doug,
    What is your "holder"?

Thanks,
    Roarke

11. ab_bentley

ab_bentley

Just an FYI even annealing is a must. Use a drill with socket if you have one. Sides can become over annealed and other under. For 223 based rounds I use a drill on low RPM's with a 3/8" socket and max the flame out, this way you get a consistant temp, instead of trying to guess/ measure a 1" flame. It takes me 3secs to anneal the neck and the base stays cooler due to the less time in the flame. Adam

12. amlevin

amlevin

I've been using an Impact Socket which is much heavier than regular deep sockets. I find that a medium speed is better for consistency than slow speed like some cordless screwdrivers.

Watch the video of the giraud annealer and you'll be able to get a feel for the speed. I find that my .308 cases get a nice uniform annealing with 3 seconds in the flame of my bernz torch. Every torch will vary some. When done, my cases all have the same shade and amount of "color" when done.

13. 300 RUM

300 RUM Site $$ Contributor

What kind of gas is everyone using Propane or map? One torch or two for those with a machine type set up? And does it really have to glow red?

14. markm87

markm87

I've read and found that just barely getting it to the point where it's got a slight glow in a very dark room is about right.

Getting them glowing red hot is too much. You can see the zinc displacing if you do that.

15. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Now that I have a machine, I do it every time!

16. 300 RUM

Does the case have to be de-primed before you anneal? Why?

17. bayou shooter

bayou shooter F-TR competitor

I do not deprime before annealing, since I resize (and decap) after annealing.

18. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

I use the Lee Universal Depriming die before I anneal, clean the pockets too first. And I clean the necks with steel wool as well before running them in the anealler.

19. 300 RUM

That's what I thought. but people are saying they have to be deprimed before hand. I have never deprimed for the same reasons you described.

20. 300 RUM

I like to tumble, (make them babies shine), rinse with distilled water, let dry and then anneal and size.