Ancient rifle impresses

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by velocette, Jun 10, 2018.

1. velocette

velocette Silver $$ Contributor

Fired in my club's smallbore prone match yesterday (don't ask).
    A new shooter was there firing in our club's new rimfire F class which was shooting alongside the smallbore shooters,
    His name was Larry & it was his first F class match.
    He was shooting an unmodfied Winchester model 52 made in 1937 with a Unertl scope. With a home made rest and loading from a magazine, not single loading.
    He shot, with Center X, a 100 yard group of 10 rounds that was about 3/4", round,, all in the X ring. Very nice for any rifle much less an 80 year old rifle with a scope almost as old. He missed winning the match not by score or total X count, (tied) but by the X count of the 100 yard match by one X. (2 bulls 20 rds each).

Topstrap and Mikey_P like this.
  2. Mikey_P

Mikey_P sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Bravo! Nice shooting by Larry and his Win 52. A great story, for sure...

Mike

3. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

Don’t EVER discount the accuracy of a Winchester 52 or Remington 37. Those old rifles could shoot. The current NRA targets have been in use since 1919 and “possibles” were required to even place in The inter-war years.

4. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

I was fortunate enough to get an old 52 target model a few years ago, and it never ceases to amaze me. Maybe some day I'll be able to shoot as well as it does. Great shooting by Larry; he and that old iron are a great pair.