An American(mostly) 300M rifle.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by dc.fireman, May 21, 2019.

1. dc.fireman

dc.fireman Sling & Irons! Silver $$ Contributor

So, I began the project of building a 300M International competition gun, about a year ago, intending to compete at the 300M National's this year in Minnesota @ Minneapolis Rifle Club.

Realistically, I didn't want to pay the pricetag demanded of the Bleikers, Grunig & Elmigers, Hammerli's, or Tanners that (infrequently) pop-up for sale from time to time.

I had decided on .260 Remington as the caliber choice - beating out 6.5x47 Lapua simply due to the cost/availability of brass. I made my first batch of brass by necking down some Federal .308, and it worked great.

I had an older Savage M12 stagger feed action, that was originally a BVSS in 22-250. I contacted James @ Northland Shooter Supply, and he walked me through the game plan & equipment I needed: A Shilen Select Match 26" barrel, an NSS Stainless recoil lug and nut, a set of Forster headspace gauges, and the NSS action wrench.

A few months later, I replaced the original Accu-trigger, with a Rifle Basix SAV-II trigger, and immediately wondered why I waited so long to do that - it's perfect for my application. The safety DOES NOT work - but, I don't need it for my application.

Another member here sold me a BVSS stock that has been re-worked by Alex Sitman of Masterclass Stocks, and it served as a placeholder, until I could find a maker who could nearly replicate my Feinwerkbau 2700 Alu stock in my smallbore match gun.

After scouring this forum, and multiple internet searches, I happened upon PDC Custom, in Michigan. I spoke with Craig Kierstadt a few times, before finally deciding to pull the proverbial trigger on his chassis. He happened to have a few of the older stagger feed action spacing chassis' left, and he machined an Anschutz rail into the fore end for my hand stop & sling, powder coated it black, and sent it to me sans a grip & butt plate (I had ones I was planning on using already). There are a few minor issues with it - overall, i would rate this a 9.5 out of a possible 10. The price, and the features built into it, plus the ease of which everything fit together, far outweigh any minor issues, and two of the issues I had, are already corrected with three pieces of teflon tape. I will need to make a walnut cheek piece - a curved one isn't conducive to aperture iron sight shooting.

Today, it was a beautiful 75ยบ F here in Northern Virginia, with frequent switching winds, occasionally fishtailing from 5 to 11 o'clock.

Here are the particulars:

Savage M12 stagger feed action, 4.27" spacing
    Shilen Select Match Barrel, 26", chambered in .260 Remington Match
    Rifle Basix SAV-II Trigger
    PDC Custom Chassis, with tool-less adjustments
    Walnut Target grip for AR-15, off of eBay
    a MEC Spy Long rear sight (German)
    a Centra front sight tunnel & adjustable aperture (German)
    a MEC handstop/sling swivel (German)
    a MEC Contact III Butt plate (German)
    a Bobsled SLED for single loading as required by competition
    a Medesha sight extension tube & collar
    a Champion's Choice front sight base,
    a Champion's Choice mirage band.

The practice load:

.260 Remington Hornady brass
    Hornady 123 ELD-M
    CCI - BR2 primer
    H4831-SC @ 42.0

The results:

25 shot initial prone test today shows promise. There are 5 sighter shots, and 20 record shots. One of the 9's @ 9 o'clock is my first sighter, the other one I own. The high 9 @ 12 o'clock is a cheek pressure issue. The 8 out @ 4 o'clock was a round that was difficult to chamber - I should've ejected it, and tried another round, but things were going so well - oh well. my initial scoring puts me somewhere in the vicinity of 193 - 7x. My match load should shoot mildly better, I'll know more with a little practice.

The target used is the NRA C2, "300M International Rifle Target, reduced for 200 yards". The 10 ring is 2.40", the "inner 10" (X ring) is 1.24".

-tc

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Recko555, kvd, Laurie and 8 others like this.
  2. dc.fireman

One more shot of the action/chassis - it locks up really tightly, and you can tell Craig spent some time on the CNC work need to make this all fit:

Attached Files:

kvd and theallcineyes like this.
  3. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

Great looking and shooting rig. Like your approach on assembling components that are affordable and effective to reach your goal.

Hope you do well!

dc.fireman likes this.
  4. Mikey_P

Mikey_P sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Nice build - well done. Great that you could put together a rig that's at least similar to your FWB smallbore rifle. Looks like it has great potential too, based on your testing. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mike

5. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

Excellent Setup :cool:, Good luck your future endeavors.

6. lb-ft

lb-ft

Sharp! Looks like things have really come together for you, a testament to your persistence and hard work. Well done!

7. marty dabney

marty dabney

good looking setup. I am planning a 300M build this fall. i'm assuming you know about Denise Loring's 300M reduced prone match held at Fairfax a few times a year?

8. kvd

kvd Silver $$ Contributor

Fine looking rifle and good shooting the first time out. Nice job.

9. dc.fireman

Marty - I do know about it; I'm a member there, Denise is a friend of mine, and I've shot the match several times over the last three years that it's been held. Seitzland Rifle Club in New Freedom, PA. also holds a match twice yearly. With those two matches, that gives you a couple of practice runs before the big match.

Thanks for all the positive comments from everyone - the amount of knowledge gained here on this forum has made this all a reality, instead of just a passing thought.

-tc

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  10. davek

davek

Nice job. hope to see you at Fairfax in the fall , try some varget at 36.1 with the 123,s, and good luck at 300m. Davek.

dc.fireman likes this.
  11. dc.fireman

Davek - my match load uses Varget @ 37.9, and a Nosler 123; it was a recommendation by a gentleman with a lot of experience in 300M shooting.

12. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

ej3rd, Mikey_P and swd like this.
  13. dc.fireman

Thanks Paul! Photos sent - I'll try and get the other one you asked for today.

-tc

14. Pres100

Pres100

Great looking and performing rifle. Your going to love MRC - lots of great shooters there too!

mauser284 and dc.fireman like this.